Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dad Rockers

Started by fatguyranting, June 11, 2020, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatguyranting

The best thing about kids is how you always think you can manipulate their musical tastes.

Because I was always obsessive, I wanted them to be the same.

To love music.

In this I've been a massive success.

Not that those little bastards will admit it.

They're 20 and 18.

They love music, but accept no quarter that I had anything to do with it. From Free Jazz to Pentangle, Wicker Man Soundtrack, Pavement, Killdozer, all the good hip hop, Italian progressive; lengthy descriptions of how early hop-hop was influenced by Germanic experimentation, just dad banging on really.  Drum and bass, well jungle really.

My daughter is named after a Pixies album, and still refuses to listen to Surfer Rosa as a point of cuntish principle. At least that's what I think, I might be wrong.

What your kids saying?

kngen

My eight-year-old had a falling out with her friends yesterday because she didn't like the music they were playing during a socially distanced gathering in our neighbourhood. Our music tastes have long since diverged (i.e. she no longer listens to the Devo or Orbital songs that she once loved after lengthy inculcation on my part) but she's definitely inherited her old da's intolerance for other people's shite.

bomb_dog

My nearly three year old knows all the words to the Bonzo's version of Jollity Farm, and lots of songs from Camberwick Green. Hopefully she won't grow to hate them.

fatguyranting

If Devo or Orbital are off the menu, its world I wouldn't wish on the parents or the kids.

sardines

The guy in my local record store was a hard as nails Yorkshire Nick Cave fan from the Birthday Party days.

He once spent a good 20 minutes telling me how he wouldn't let his cunt son listen to techno music on his sound system.

I quietly replaced the Autechre album with something slightly more 'guitar-ey'.

jobotic

I played Analogue Bubblebath by Apex Twin and I Don't Mind by The Buzzcocks today while ,y four year old daughter was in the bath.

She said she didn't like that flippy music and to put the Trolls soundtrack on.

I used to dream of listening to music with my kids - it was only thing I had in common with my dad when I was little - but not really happened. Makes me sad.

fatguyranting

She's four mate. Don't go too quickly.  Maybe 'All the ducks' by Lemon Jelly. BATHTIME CLASSIC.

jobotic

Quote from: fatguyranting on June 11, 2020, 09:47:33 PM
She's four mate. Don't go too quickly.  Maybe 'All the ducks' by Lemon Jelly. BATHTIME CLASSIC.

Ha, yeah I was thinking of my nine-year old son.

Psmith

Kids shouldn't like the same music as their parents,it's not natural.

Shaky

Even though I hollered at them to keep it the fuck down, I was secretly chuffed to hear my 5 & 7 your olds bellow "Rip it up and start again!" at the top of their lungs the other day.

SteveDave

My son's chosen this to listen to for the last two nights dinner music:

It might just be the cover he likes though he does dance around to it inbetween mouthfuls of whatever we're eating.

holyzombiejesus

I've said this umpteen times before but I fucking hate how some parents are so in to the idea of their children liking 'cool' music. Just fuck off, let them like whatever shit they want to like. Fuck off with your social media posts of little Albert doodling along to Tago Mago or singing along to Pavement b-sides. I hope my little boy likes whatever the fuck he likes and if it's some shitty stuff that Mojo or The Wire doesn't laud then so much the better. You get people on here saying how their little kid "is aware of the importance of David Bowie" or that they were disappointed that their child likes Taylor Swift, for fucks sake. If I'm playing something that I like and my little one comes in the room, he'll say 'this is rubbish, get it off' in favour of songs from Nick Cope's Popcast, which is the way it should be.

Disclaimer: I had to listen to The fucking Strawbs when I was a kid so I'm probably just bitter.

chveik

imitationleather

Bossanova is a pretty cool name tbf

"LIKE WHAT I LIKE" i scream at my toddler son, flinging his crappy mr tumble and the unicorns DVDs out of the window and putting Marquee Moon on

spaghetamine

My parents were massive influences on my music taste growing up, between the two of them they have fairly eclectic taste and I have them to thank for my love of Beefheart, Throbbing Gristle, The Fall, Can, Stereolab, Echo & The Bunnymen, Julian Cope, Irish Folk Songs, Gregorian Chanting etc. It was never forced on me though, I just absorbed everything and ended up liking it. Since then I've introduced them to lots of new music. Dad is big into IDM now and me mam loves Sufjan Stevens.

Famous Mortimer

My mum got me into the Beatles (I have a signed photo of the fellas from when she was in the fan club in the early 60s) but apart from that, she realised that it was sensible for us to diverge. Or she just wasn't that into Public Enemy, and I wasn't that into Status Quo.

I like how Yo Gabba Gabba had on all sorts of bonkers bands, and kids would dance about to Cornelius or whoever - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcouGIvDi4 - but...I don't have kids, but when I babysat for my nieces, they'd ask me to put on Youtube so they could listen to their favourite music. I'd play stuff I liked too, but I stopped after one of them looked at me entirely seriously and said "is this music?"

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
I've said this umpteen times before but I fucking hate how some parents are so in to the idea of their children liking 'cool' music. Just fuck off, let them like whatever shit they want to like. Fuck off with your social media posts of little Albert doodling along to Tago Mago or singing along to Pavement b-sides. I hope my little boy likes whatever the fuck he likes and if it's some shitty stuff that Mojo or The Wire doesn't laud then so much the better. You get people on here saying how their little kid "is aware of the importance of David Bowie" or that they were disappointed that their child likes Taylor Swift, for fucks sake. If I'm playing something that I like and my little one comes in the room, he'll say 'this is rubbish, get it off' in favour of songs from Nick Cope's Popcast, which is the way it should be.

Disclaimer: I had to listen to The fucking Strawbs when I was a kid so I'm probably just bitter.

I quite like some of Laura Marling's music but I remember reading in an interview once that she went through a boy band stage in her early teens and her father steered her towards 'real' music like Dylan. Fuck that shit. If my dad had tried that with me I'd have become the biggest boy band fan on earth.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah. The thought of 'educating' a child on 'good' music or trying to dictate their tastes is fucking horrible. I feel kind of bad because we don't have music radio or TV on in the house. My boy won't naturally be able to pick up on what he likes by hearing stuff on Radio 1 or Top of the Ppps like most of us did. Do any TV programmes show current pop music any more?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: fatguyranting on June 11, 2020, 08:16:28 PM
The best thing about kids is how you always think you can manipulate their musical tastes.

Because I was always obsessive, I wanted them to be the same.

To love music.

In this I've been a massive success.

Not that those little bastards will admit it.

They're 20 and 18.

They love music, but accept no quarter that I had anything to do with it. From Free Jazz to Pentangle, Wicker Man Soundtrack, Pavement, Killdozer, all the good hip hop, Italian progressive; lengthy descriptions of how early hop-hop was influenced by Germanic experimentation, just dad banging on really.  Drum and bass, well jungle really.

My daughter is named after a Pixies album, and still refuses to listen to Surfer Rosa as a point of cuntish principle. At least that's what I think, I might be wrong.

What your kids saying?

I don't think you should have named your daughter " Here Comes Your Man". If Glinner ever got wind of it, he'd be having words with you.

ETA: Bollocks, you said " album" didn't you?

phantom_power

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2020, 09:21:23 AM

Well, it's nice to bond over something you have a passion for. It doesn't have to be about being a cool parent or anything. I hoped my kids would at least like some of the music I liked so we could talk about it, listen to it together and maybe even see concerts together. My eldest daughter listens to mainly modern music but has a passion for music that I love. My son likes a lot more of the stuff that I love and it is great to introduce him to something new and see him discover the records for the first time. I'm not sure what there is to sneer or get angry about with that

kngen

I have my parents to thank for my eclectic music tastes (they had me when they were teenagers) so the music in our house ran the gamut of 'cool' 60s and 70s stuff, from psyche, prog and folk to Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Ian Dury. It wasn't inculcation, though; it was just osmosis.

However, when I went my own way and discovered electro and hip-hop around age 10, my dad was suddenly threatened by my independent spirit, and would crap on about how it had all been invented by Malcolm McLaren (repeated viewings of Beat Street and Wild Style convinced me he was talking out of his arse). I will never be that parent.

So, yeah, while she'll still happily sing along to Devo when they come on in the car (and, while I joke about inculcation, it was really just music to put on while she was a toddler that sounded kid-friendly and eccentric, but wouldn't drive me to distraction), it's the Descendants, Trolls and Zombies soundtracks that she demands (and then haughtily interrogates me about why I don't love them as much as she does - or at all, for that matter.)

She was also given a clock radio, but doesn't know how to select other stations, so it stays stuck on an 80s soft rock station, which she'll put on when she's shutting herself away in her room. So I often encounter a petulantly closed door, and the rebellious teen riot of the Eagles or Mr Mister playing tinnily within. It's pretty funny, and I can see my own dad being incandescent with rage about such feeble music choices, so it makes me enjoy it all the more.

dr beat

'Debaser' works as a name, doesn't it? Asking for a friend.

phantom_power

I am happy that my eldest daughter has found her own taste in music and am just glad she has a passion. I even like some of the stuff she likes, like Kendrick and Earl Sweatshirt. I draw the line at all the musical shit though

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: phantom_power on June 12, 2020, 02:43:29 PM
Well, it's nice to bond over something you have a passion for. It doesn't have to be about being a cool parent or anything. I hoped my kids would at least like some of the music I liked so we could talk about it, listen to it together and maybe even see concerts together. My eldest daughter listens to mainly modern music but has a passion for music that I love. My son likes a lot more of the stuff that I love and it is great to introduce him to something new and see him discover the records for the first time. I'm not sure what there is to sneer or get angry about with that

It often is about cool parents though and, as the OP states, manipulating children's tastes. It'd be nice if my son wants to listen to Galaxie 500 or Felt with me but not nice enough for me to influence what he listens to or to try and ensure he only listens to 'correct' stuff that I like or approve of.

Jockice

I'm from a generation in which parents in general didn't seem to be much into modern music. My mum and dad were in their 30s for most of the 60s, so probably would have been too old to even be big Beatles fans (although they did have the red and blue albums on 8-track in the 70s) and my dad was more into folk music while mum was into easy listening stuff. Although she also likes Status Quo.The only artist I can remember them both being fans of is Neil Diamond.

So when I reached my teens (as previously documented on here finally getting a record player for my 14th birthday) and started listening to punk, new wave and post punk stuff they were just puzzled. Then at around the same time and much to my horror my dad started learning to play the bagpipes. And put pressure on me to join the band. I think nothing would have made him prouder than to have his son as a little drummer boy. But apart from having no sense of rhythm at all, I couldn't really think of many things I'd like to do less. I don't like bagpipes. And despite people insisting I that I'd grow to enjoy them, I still don't.

I don't know what it would be like to have parents who were into 'cool' music but I still find it bizarre when (to give an example from a friend about the same age as me) they have a family night out and take their kids to see Placebo. It seems totally alien to me.

phantom_power

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2020, 03:43:23 PM
It often is about cool parents though and, as the OP states, manipulating children's tastes. It'd be nice if my son wants to listen to Galaxie 500 or Felt with me but not nice enough for me to influence what he listens to or to try and ensure he only listens to 'correct' stuff that I like or approve of.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to influence what your kid listens to (it can't be helped to a certain extent), and I don't think many people do the latter. They are definitely not cool.

Generally kids will like what they like and trying to influence them too much will more likely turn them against the music you are pushing on them

Icehaven

I've got several Facebook friends who delight in posting any and all evidence that their kids like the same music as them,  from dressing them in Slint Tshirts when they're still babies, 8 year olds proudly brandishing Kiss tickets, 5 year olds apparently demanding to listen to The Velvet Underground etc. I'm sure the kids genuinely like the music (thanks in part to considerable encouragement) but it's still definitely a boast, but then so are most fb posts.