Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dad Rockers

Started by fatguyranting, June 11, 2020, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bently Sheds

I had Paranoid Android on in the car when I was driving Sheds 2 about a long time ago. When it got to the "Rain down on me" bit he politely asked me to turn it off as it was making him really sad. I made them listen to Fiery Gun Hand by Cardiacs once when both progeny were very little and they seemed to like that.
But after that Radiohead incident I didn't bother trying to indoctrinate my kids.
Now Sheds 1 is into game soundtracks and Sheds 2 is into Two Door Cinema Club.

Jockice

Of course with the lack of parental input (and a much elder sister who was into hard rock, a type of music that for the most part I just don't get) I had to rely on John Peel and my contemporaries to discover what music I was really into. Which led to a lot of...er...trial and error.

Icehaven

About a decade ago I read an article by Paul Morley about how he was managing dealing with his daughter (who was about 15)  having her own taste in music, and at one point when she said Arcade Fire were her generation's version of the Beatles you could literally feel his veins popping off the page as he tried to navigate being a reasonable father and screaming in her face. Wasn't a pleasant read.

jobotic

Quote from: kngen on June 12, 2020, 02:48:58 PM
I have my parents to thank for my eclectic music tastes (they had me when they were teenagers) so the music in our house ran the gamut of 'cool' 60s and 70s stuff, from psyche, prog and folk to Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Ian Dury. It wasn't inculcation, though; it was just osmosis.

However, when I went my own way and discovered electro and hip-hop around age 10, my dad was suddenly threatened by my independent spirit, and would crap on about how it had all been invented by Malcolm McLaren (repeated viewings of Beat Street and Wild Style convinced me he was talking out of his arse). I will never be that parent.

So, yeah, while she'll still happily sing along to Devo when they come on in the car (and, while I joke about inculcation, it was really just music to put on while she was a toddler that sounded kid-friendly and eccentric, but wouldn't drive me to distraction), it's the Descendants, Trolls and Zombies soundtracks that she demands (and then haughtily interrogates me about why I don't love them as much as she does - or at all, for that matter.)

She was also given a clock radio, but doesn't know how to select other stations, so it stays stuck on an 80s soft rock station, which she'll put on when she's shutting herself away in her room. So I often encounter a petulantly closed door, and the rebellious teen riot of the Eagles or Mr Mister playing tinnily within. It's pretty funny, and I can see my own dad being incandescent with rage about such feeble music choices, so it makes me enjoy it all the more.

I enjoyed this post a lot.

I do hope my kids like something I don't, but that they really like it whatever it is.

I listened to nothing but rock 'n' roll and blues as a kid, thanks to my dad. Was happy to too. When I got old enough to listen to an older friend's music (JAMC and that)and Peel he didn't really get it. When it became hip hop and techno he definitely didn't, but was happy that I was right into it. And I still love the stuff we listened to together. That's what I'd like.

Jockice

I read on Paul Heaton's Twitter feed recently that his mum took him to see The Undertones when he was 17. Try as I might I can't imagine my mum doing that for me. She did offer to take me to see Darts in my early teens because my tortoise had died but I turned her down. I can't explain why. I'd have loved to have seen Darts.

Concerts I did attend with one parent or other (never both, apart from the Rab C Nesbitt tour) were mainly as a result of free tickets through my job. With mum I went to see Tom Jones, Jimmy Nail, Daniel O'Donnell and Shirley Bassey. For the latter I offered my dad a ticket too but he reacted as if I'd just spat in his face. I didn't realise until that moment how much he hated her. With my dad I went to see a joint show with Shane MacGowan and The Dubliners. But Shane didn't turn up. I also got him tickets to see Neil Diamond and to take a friend (mum had died by then) as long as he wrote a review for the paper. He was so excited about showing this to his mates in the pub he tripped up and broke his wrist on the way there.

The only sort of pop thing I can remember going to with both parents was the Buddy musical that my mum bought tickets for. That was good but it wasn't exactly Einstürzende Neubauten.

Trendy parents, who needs em?

kngen

Quote from: Jockice on June 14, 2020, 12:01:54 PM
Trendy parents, who needs em?

I'd wow my classmates with my tales of being taken to see The Clash and The Jam when I was in primary school. I neglected to mention the far-more frequent trips to folk clubs to see musty old geezers (whose beards had fused with their woolly jumpers to create new forms of life) trundle through interminable sets of Trad Arr faves. Rough with the smooth, I suppose.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: kngen on June 12, 2020, 02:48:58 PM
I have my parents to thank for my eclectic music tastes (they had me when they were teenagers) so the music in our house ran the gamut of 'cool' 60s and 70s stuff, from psyche, prog and folk to Elvis Costello, Graham Parker and Ian Dury. It wasn't inculcation, though; it was just osmosis.

'osmosis'. That's how appreciating stuff should always be with parent and child. My folks were great like that. I never felt I was made to sit down and listen to The Goons or Ravel or Geoff Love And His Orchestra. Reading your post made me smile, as the music I was listening to when I was young was your parent's music tastes that you grew up with. My dad was fond of Ian Dury but thought some of the 'effin' and jeffin' was 'a bit unnecessary'.

the science eel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 12, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
I've said this umpteen times before but I fucking hate how some parents are so in to the idea of their children liking 'cool' music. Just fuck off, let them like whatever shit they want to like. Fuck off with your social media posts of little Albert doodling along to Tago Mago or singing along to Pavement b-sides. I hope my little boy likes whatever the fuck he likes and if it's some shitty stuff that Mojo or The Wire doesn't laud then so much the better. You get people on here saying how their little kid "is aware of the importance of David Bowie" or that they were disappointed that their child likes Taylor Swift, for fucks sake.

Beautiful. Thank you.

Keebleman

My parents listened almost exclusively to classical music and they very much hoped I'd acquire the taste too.  It didn't really work (certainly not at the time: Dad would be on his feet air-conducting Beethoven and I'd be going "But it's boooring!") but it did leave me with the sense, that has never entirely gone away, that there is something essentially undignified and embarrassing about grown-ups listening to pop music. 

But if I ever have kids I will definitely try to shape their interests!  Not so much about music - I don't care enough myself - but films and books for sure.  If they don't like the same stuff I do that's fine, but I would like them to care.

Jockice

One of the reasons I've never wanted kids (not that I've had much opportunity anyway. One pregnancy scare - and it really was a scare - in my early 30s was quite enough) is that I've never wanted to impose my tastes, personality etc on another human being, at least not one that had no choice but to listen to me. That's some responsibility and with too many different possibilities to for me to deal with.

Ironically, my decision to never reproduce was cemented in my early teens when apart from the outsider aspects I've discussed many a time before, my mum was seriously ill (she very nearly died in front of me at one point) and apart from my dad there wasn't another family member within 150 miles of us, so music was one of very few things keeping me going. I will always be indebted to the likes of The Undertones, Buzzcocks, The Specials and Madness among others for offering some consolation in a period when I felt totally isolated. Thankfully I had great taste. God knows what would have happened if I'd developed a taste for Barry Manilow or something.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on June 14, 2020, 03:22:22 PM
I will always be indebted to the likes of The Undertones, Buzzcocks, The Specials and Madness among others for offering some consolation in a period when I felt totally isolated.

Neil Tennant once said something along the lines that there were two types of pop stars. There are the ones who are outer-worldly you could only wish to aspire too: Prince, Bowie, Madonna, Jacko, etc and the ones where you think, I could do that as they're a bit like me: the four bands you mentioned, Jockice.  Generally, back then I always instictively followed the bands I thought I could be mates with.

phantom_power

I do hate those baby clothes with band names on, but only really because they are usually the blandest choices possible. Ooh, The Ramones eh? Asda's idea of cool. I would quite impressed if one of them had a Dumpy's Rusty Nuts or Menswear babygro though

non capisco

I unfollowed a fair few XTC Facebook fan groups because it was always shit like "Little Henry asked if we could listen to 'Yacht Dance' in the car today. Proud dad!" No he fucking didn't, mate.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2020, 04:17:44 PM
Neil Tennant once said something along the lines that there were two types of pop stars. There are the ones who are outer-worldly you could only wish to aspire too: Prince, Bowie, Madonna, Jacko, etc and the ones where you think, I could do that as they're a bit like me: the four bands you mentioned, Jockice.  Generally, back then I always instictively followed the bands I thought I could be mates with.

Yeah, you could be right there, although I do like stuff (some more than others) by the four artists you mentioned and think that the Pet Shop Boys are national treasures.

It wasn't as if I was friendless. I did have mates, some of whom are still mates to this day, but in your teens (with males certainly) it's very surface level. However those bands were like extra mates who just happened to make brilliant music with lyrics I found relevant to my life.

I do like stuff to have a bit of grounding in reality in general. I've never been into fantasy novels for instance. Or novels in general. I much prefer biography or autobiography. I bought a few a couple of weeks ago. I've done Brett Anderson, started the John Peel one and have Madness and The Fall to follow. I also have a couple of non-music ones to start as well.

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on June 14, 2020, 04:59:22 PM
I unfollowed a fair few XTC Facebook fan groups because it was always shit like "Little Henry asked if we could listen to 'Yacht Dance' in the car today. Proud dad!" No he fucking didn't, mate.

28 he was!

kngen

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 14, 2020, 01:36:26 PM
My dad was fond of Ian Dury but thought some of the 'effin' and jeffin' was 'a bit unnecessary'.

Ha! I think my dad was savvy enough to leave Plaistow Patricia off his mix for the car, as - when I 'inherited' (ie stole from the front room) his copy of New Boots and Panties, that track came as a bit of a shock.

I have a very vivid memory of bouncing about the back seat of my dad's Hillman Avenger (no kid seats or seat belts back then!) when I was about 5 or 6 singing along to Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll, and my dad's friend laughing incredulously at me. My dad just said, 'Maybe don't do that in front of your mum, son ...'

idunnosomename

if i had a child it would be Merzbow all the way for the little cunt

timebug

My two sons grew up with me listening to Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who and later Led Zep et al. Marc got into the Beatles and David Bowie with no particular input from me, and his brother is basically a non music lover. He likes loud thumping stuff with no particular tune, skill or craftsmanship about it. So everyone will find their own thing (IMO) whatever influences come and go in their lifetimes.

The Culture Bunker

My old man's music tastes were pretty much what you'd expect to be for someone of his age: Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks tapes in the car, along with the Eagles, sadly. In his younger days, he'd been partial to Rory Gallagher and other blues-rock types, but had grown out of that by the time I was around. He had also owned a bunch of Leonard Cohen eight tracks that my mam had made him get rid of soon after they were married for being "too miserable" to listen to.

He never really encouraged me to get into music, I did that mainly by myself. He wasn't taken when I was 16 and hiding in my room with Joy Division and the Cure on rotation, though he did approve of the Clash, which seemed a bit weird at the time, less so when I found out Joe Strummer was a year older than him.

I've never wanted kids of my own, and my nephews are 34/36 years younger than me, so by the time they're listening to stuff I expect it'll be some horrendous racket that I and their parents can't stand. As it should be, really.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: non capisco on June 14, 2020, 04:59:22 PM

The sort of people who tweet BBC 6Music to say, "Wow! Loving the Heaven 17 track. Dancing around the kitchen with the kids, grinning like a loon"

No you're fucking not, mate; you're just nodding your head a bit as you load the dishwasher with one hand while tweeting BBC6Music. You own The Luxury Gap album and were only listening to it last week. The kids are upstairs watching Bojack Horseman.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 15, 2020, 10:02:14 AM

He never really encouraged me to get into music, I did that mainly by myself. He wasn't taken when I was 16 and hiding in my room with Joy Division and the Cure on rotation, though he did approve of the Clash, which seemed a bit weird at the time, less so when I found out Joe Strummer was a year older than him.

Not as weird as my dad and the only two pop records he ever admitted to liking. Germ Free Adolescents by X Ray Spex and Dub Be Good To Me by Beats International. Personally, I think he had a thing about the respective female singers.

Mum meanwhile once came into my bedroom dancing while I was playing Upside Down by the Jesus And Mary Chain. I think she may have been taking the piss though.

jobotic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2020, 10:24:16 AM
The sort of people who tweet BBC 6Music to say, "Wow! Loving the Heaven 17 track. Dancing around the kitchen with the kids, grinning like a loon"

No you're fucking not, mate; you're just nodding your head a bit as you load the dishwasher with one hand while tweeting BBC6Music. You own The Luxury Gap album and were only listening to it last week. The kids are upstairs watching Bojack Horseman.

The kids are forty?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jobotic on June 15, 2020, 10:28:16 AM
The kids are forty?

Ha, two fathers I know, say their kids are obsessed with it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on June 15, 2020, 10:27:48 AM

Mum meanwhile once came into my bedroom dancing while I was playing Upside Down by the Jesus And Mary Chain. I think she may have been taking the piss though.

Well worth mentioning again, Jeff Walker from Carcass is my cousin, and in a kind of inverse version of the theme of this thread, my mum and my top auntie accompanied myself and my companion to a gig by The Fall in Salford, circa 2012. My mum might have been disappointed that the group didn't perform their cover version of the Kinks' " Victoria" ( one of her favourites, as it reminds her of " I Must Be In Love" by The Rutles), but both she and my auntie had a fine old time, and a chuckle at an unimpressed Mrs. MES ( Smitty's wife, Tracey Barlow Features, not Smith's mum, who, continuing the " Mum at concerts" theme, was also in attendance) telling a hapless technician who was only trying to help, to piss off, and my mum made the shrewd observation that of MES that " he looked ill". Grand time that they had, both my mum and my auntie drew the line at me joining me and my companion in having a bop to " White Lightning".

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 15, 2020, 01:43:37 AM
if i had a child it would be Merzbow all the way for the little cunt

Just drawing attention to this rather fine tweet, shouldn't be overlooked.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 15, 2020, 12:48:54 PM
Just drawing attention to this rather fine tweet, shouldn't be overlooked.

Sod Merzbow. I'd get my sprog to listen to the complete works of Jandek.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 15, 2020, 10:24:16 AM

Never understood people who text inane crap like that to radio shows and 'DJ's' who read them out.  Who the fuck cares.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 15, 2020, 01:43:32 PM
Never understood people who text inane crap like that to radio shows and 'DJ's' who read them out.  Who the fuck cares.
I had always assumed they got off on hearing their name on the radio. I remember one job I had years ago, it seemed a big chunk of the afternoon was listening to Steve Wright read out messages from his listeners telling him how fantastic he was.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on June 15, 2020, 11:50:47 AM
Are they proud?

The fathers seems a bit nonplussed by the show. The kids are about 13 so not really little kids.

Ok, for the sake of satire, let's change the reference. "The kids are upstairs playing Fortnite."  I suspect that reference is passe now? I dunno, I don't have children.