Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which TV comedians of yesteryear have a clean scorecard ?

Started by TheMonk, June 12, 2020, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

I'm having trouble thinking of many tv comedians who don't have at least a sketch or joke which would be deemed unacceptable by today's standards.
Any that can stand proud, conscience clear?

beanheadmcginty

notjosh

Morecambe and Wise? Dave Allen? The Two...

...never mind.

I was going to say Ken Dodd but I recall him doing blackface.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: TheMonk on June 12, 2020, 11:37:38 AM
I'm having trouble thinking of many tv comedians who don't have at least a sketch or joke which would be deemed unacceptable by today's standards.
Any that can stand proud, conscience clear?

Fortunately, the horrible Hill never gets repeated anyway.

Shit Good Nose

Eric and Ernie did that IRA sketch and also the one with the very effeminate gay man that was the butt (no pun intended) of many jokes (although the final punchline was Eric going off with him for a bit of romance) and Dave Allen did several "wog" jokes.

Whilst The Two Ronnies obviously DON'T have a spotless record, from memory that minstrels sketch was openly attacking the Black & White Minstrel Show.

non capisco

Did Tommy Cooper ever do any racist magic? Maybe him.

I like The Two Ronnies but there's some brutal stuff going on in their back catalogue. The amount of times as a child I remember sitting through ten minutes of Ronnie Barker doing a dodgy monologue as an Indian fakir whilst waiting for The Phantom Raspberry Blower to come on.

ajsmith2

Neil Innes? Talk about dodging a bullet, whatever his reasons for not going along with same dress code as the rest of the Bonzos on the day this was filmed were. EDIT: ah dammit just remembered there's blackface in IBOR. Oh well.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: non capisco on June 12, 2020, 11:57:02 AM
I like The Two Ronnies but there's some brutal stuff going on in their back catalogue. The amount of times as a child I remember sitting through ten minutes of Ronnie Barker doing a dodgy monologue as an Indian fakir whilst waiting for The Phantom Raspberry Blower to come on.

I think the objectification of women was probably the more frequent (i.e. in every single episode) issue with the Two Ronnies.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 12, 2020, 12:15:57 PM
I think the objectification of women was probably the more frequent (i.e. in every single episode) issue with the Two Ronnies.

Surely not?

steveh

Recently watched a bunch of Marty Feldman shows on YouTube, which while not perfect seemed better than many of that era for avoiding racially problematic material. In It's Marty from 1969 there's one sketch that criticises The Black and White Minstrel Show, though it's not handled very well and with the joke being that they are BBC executives secretly performing. There's also a lot of Tim Brooke-Taylor playing stereotypical effeminate men.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 12, 2020, 11:58:35 AM
Neil Innes? Talk about dodging a bullet, whatever his reasons for not going along with same dress code as the rest of the Bonzos on the day this was filmed were. EDIT: ah dammit just remembered there's blackface in IBOR. Oh well....

Was Innes a TV comedian? In any case, at an Innes event, talking about his career, that clip was discussed and he said that the intent was to send up The Black and White Minstrels Show. When asked why he was sans make-up, Innes said that that 'probably couldn't have been arsed' - however, that was said humously and it did get a big laugh. At the time, my gut feeling was there was likely a bit more to the story, but obviously that's just a feeling.

Tony Tony Tony

If anyone can find anything objectionable in Mike and Bernie Winters output, I will eat my hat (apart from the pair not being funny of course). 

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 12, 2020, 12:25:28 PM
Surely not?

Included Mrs McCluskey in black leather and hotpants.  What would Grange Hill's pupils say!?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: steveh on June 12, 2020, 12:32:49 PM
Recently watched a bunch of Marty Feldman shows on YouTube, which while not perfect seemed better than many of that era for avoiding racially problematic material. In It's Marty from 1969 there's one sketch that criticises The Black and White Minstrel Show, though it's not handled very well and with the joke being that they are BBC executives secretly performing. There's also a lot of Tim Brooke-Taylor playing stereotypical effeminate men.

Yes, with that sketch, it's a weak pay-off and particularly disappointing. In terms of the material overall, would say Feldman's stands up pretty well.

evilcommiedictator

Rowan Atkinson, except for that Indian Waiter sketch from Rowan Atkinson live maybe? (probably lots of other shit too)

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 12, 2020, 12:55:18 PM
Rowan Atkinson, except for that Indian Waiter sketch from Rowan Atkinson live maybe? (probably lots of other shit too)

I've remembered a bit from Blackadder-I think it was from Goes Forth-where he's doing a cod-Carribean accent while saying something like 'where am dat water melon?'  Can't quite recall the context though.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 12, 2020, 01:10:05 PM
I've remembered a bit from Blackadder-I think it was from Goes Forth-where he's doing a cod-Carribean accent while saying something like 'where am dat water melon?'  Can't quite recall the context though.
It's Blackadder II and he's mocking Ludwig the Indestructible by calling him a bad impressionist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-78Qr_HmAA

Brundle-Fly

TheMonk

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on June 12, 2020, 12:55:18 PM

Barry Admin

The asymmetrical orange-chopping just before that really hurts my OCD.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 12, 2020, 01:21:43 PM
The asymmetrical orange-chopping just before that really hurts my OCD.

I know, it's like the candles rolling down the counter at the beginning of the Four Candles sketch.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 12, 2020, 01:18:05 PM
One of Eric and Ernie's most famous sketches at the 1.09 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgdhZGLJrY

I've not clicked on that, but I'm guessing brekkers routine and grapefruit ( 'Cos I don't remember Angela Rippon blacking up while getting her legs out ).

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm gonna assume that you meant this in good faith and answer you with none. None of them. What matters is whether they've changed their views, whether they still do those routines, and whether they've apologised for them. Eddie Murphy's said he regrets his early homophobic routines for instance.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 12, 2020, 01:37:53 PM
Did Jasper Carrott in the 70s do anything racist?

He did a song in a cod Jamaican accent, but I can't remember the subject or context.

Hillbert

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 12, 2020, 01:37:53 PM
Did Jasper Carrott in the 70s do anything racist?
Some stuff on Chinese restaurants, which had a fair few accents in it. Plus there was his book "Sweet and Sour Labrador"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, can't imagine any British comedian in the 70s being completely 100% squeaky- clean non- racist. That's why we got that Alternative Comedy malarkey circa 1980, innit?