Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:59:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which TV comedians of yesteryear have a clean scorecard ?

Started by TheMonk, June 12, 2020, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 16, 2020, 10:56:41 AM
Sinatra also begged - ACTUALLY BEGGED - to be in Cannonball Run 2.  Now I'm quite fond of it and always have been, but that opinion isn't shared by 99.999recurring% of others...

I was just thinking about that scene a few days ago! That's a hot one, your majesty

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 15, 2020, 03:41:14 PM
I don't think it was that, I've never heard that song before.

I'm sure it was The Vapors, if not TOTP then some other show.  It had that little tune the song begins with, but slightly more drawn out, with the band standing there waiting for the song to start proper, with at least one of them putting his fingers next to his eyes.

Mr Banlon

Gulftastic

The Sammy Davis Jr racism stuff is covered well in HBO film 'The Rat Pack'. Don Cheadle does a great job, and his missus is played by your lass out off of season one of Not Going Out.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 14, 2020, 07:03:25 PM
That Jazz Singer teleplay is on YouTube. It appears that only the bottom half of his face was in blackface. I wonder if that was some kind of PC-by-1959-standards compromise. Weird.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 15, 2020, 12:04:37 AM
No mention of Jerry Lewis in that list, which perhaps further deepens the mystery of what the hell he was trying to achieve in his obscure version of The Jazz Singer (he's definitely wearing blackface).

Can't believe I registered just to point this out but he's wearing 'hobo clown' makeup a la Emmett Kelly:

(which may have evolved from blackface but that's a whole other conversation)

And now, BACK TO THE SHADOWS

SavageHedgehog

Galeee

I remember reading a newspaper article about this at the time:

https://permanentplastichelmet.com/2010/10/29/does-anyone-remember-when-lenny-henry-whited-up-for-a-film/#comments

It was said he went out made up in the evening to see if people reacted differently to him as a white man. History does not record what he found.

Sin Agog

Was gonna say Ivor Cutler, what with him even teaching a special needs relative of mine and getting through to him when no one could, but then I remembered he used to hang about shops giving badges to pretty ladies.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 12, 2020, 12:38:38 PM
Included Mrs McCluskey in black leather and hotpants.  What would Grange Hill's pupils say!?

I know I'm a bit late for this , but I feel I must clear Mrs McCluskey's name in this respect; you're thinking of the captain of the hot pants police ladies, played not by Mrs McCluskey, but the Shake and Vac Advert lady. They both looked quite similar at the time.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 13, 2020, 09:51:54 PM
Was gonna say Ivor Cutler, what with him even teaching a special needs relative of mine and getting through to him when no one could, but then I remembered he used to hang about shops giving badges to pretty ladies.

Hopefully in a " sweet old man" way. I want Ivor to stay clean.