Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

2nd of July, apparently.  My default local (haven't been in in over a decade) has texted all of the regulars to invite them to the grand re-opening.  Whether it started with them or filtered through from somewhere else, every landlord in town is convinced that the doors will be open on the 2nd.

Is this just a Hertfordshire thing?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I'm Hertfordshire (Royston) and the pubs seem to be good little boys here, haven't really been paying much attention though so I could be wrong

pigamus

Government must have agreed to the 1 metre rule then.

Butchers Blind

Thought it was only ones who can accommodate outdoor seating.

Sheffield Wednesday

LGV

Let's get vented.

You can't socially distance in a pub. Not possible. It'll end in tears. Mark my words.

Sheffield Wednesday

DrGreggles

Received an email yesterday from a pub that I'd reserved months ago for a get together in a couple of weeks time.
I'd forgotten all about it to be honest, but my booking is apparently still valid with the proviso that it's now for 12 people rather than 20.

Icehaven

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 14, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
Thought it was only ones who can accommodate outdoor seating.

A friend of mine who works in a pub told me last week that her bosses had said they were reopening on the 22 June but only the outside seating area. Then the next day there was a government statement saying that it had only been an idea, had never been confirmed and that actually they'd decided against it.
Even if this is now the case and it's just July instead, how is it seriously going to work? What about toilets, what happens when it suddenly starts pouring with rain? And how many pubs even have a garden big enough to make it worth their while to open? I can't see the outdoor rule being enforced at all, pubs will simply reopen and do what they like, even if it means moving all the chairs so technically no one can sit inside.

Malcy

I only really go to one pub these days. Costs me £10 to get there and it's tiny. Can't see how any regulations will make it work. Never much of a home drinker but now after all this the appeal of the pub has totally gone.

Friend of mine lives in Spain. He went as soon as they opened and it was gloves and distancing and all that shit but it sounded very busy. Said that was good and was glad he could get out. Even though technically he shouldn't have been due to his age and all sorts.

Asked what it was like going for a piss. Said "dunno mate, held it in till I got 'ome"...

flotemysost

Quote from: Malcy on June 14, 2020, 06:58:13 PM
Friend of mine lives in Spain. He went as soon as they opened and it was gloves and distancing and all that shit but it sounded very busy. Said that was good and was glad he could get out. Even though technically he shouldn't have been due to his age and all sorts.

Asked what it was like going for a piss. Said "dunno mate, held it in till I got 'ome"...

This sounds similar to what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who's in Lisbon. Limited capacity, dividers between tables, table service only, one way system etc.

I used a pub toilet in Vauxhall last weekend - they were serving takeaway drinks outdoors, but toilets were available for customers (not sure if this was a special provision just for that weekend because of the protestors). There was a distanced queue outdoors and someone cleaning it in between uses, so probably best to do your shits at home still for the time being.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I have heard July 2nd is the date. There was a rumour June 22nd was going to be the date as some breweries had started production and there was some off the record chat by some junior minister or other but that was confirmed as false a few days back.

Clearly pubs are a threat to maintaining public health but by the start of July we will already have a good idea if the current easing of restrictions has sent us backwards or not (it hasn't so far)

Basically it's on lads big time in the biergarten

Malcy

Quote from: flotemysost on June 14, 2020, 09:36:45 PM
This sounds similar to what I'm hearing from a friend of mine who's in Lisbon. Limited capacity, dividers between tables, table service only, one way system etc.

I used a pub toilet in Vauxhall last weekend - they were serving takeaway drinks outdoors, but toilets were available for customers (not sure if this was a special provision just for that weekend because of the protestors). There was a distanced queue outdoors and someone cleaning it in between uses, so probably best to do your shits at home still for the time being.

Good to know some places are doing that. Friend of mine in London said everyone is 'using the bushes'.

idunnosomename

everyone will start to die again and they will shut so get pints down your neck while you can

jobotic

I saw people wandering about town with pints in plastic glasses today, from a shit hole pub in the high street.

That allowed then?

Malcy

Quote from: jobotic on June 14, 2020, 10:34:16 PM
I saw people wandering about town with pints in plastic glasses today, from a shit hole pub in the high street.

That allowed then?

Think they have to be served with a lid but cant be that strict as a friend takes his own pint glass down to get it filled.

BlodwynPig

That allowed then?

If you are a racist pot-belly thug, yes.

Danger Man

Local Tapas bar has opened for take-out.

Owner told me he's been told he can open properly from July 1st.

Hope so.

flotemysost

Quote from: icehaven on June 14, 2020, 06:36:27 PM
what happens when it suddenly starts pouring with rain?

Zoom and sex toy manufacturers move aside, the outdoor marquee industry is where the big COVID bucks are at now.

falafel

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 14, 2020, 12:15:47 AM
I'm Hertfordshire (Royston) and the pubs seem to be good little boys here, haven't really been paying much attention though so I could be wrong

Unlike the cunts we saw having a mass close-quarters picnic on the heath on Saturday afternoon

Proper Mary Whitehouse levels of rage I felt

They had chairs and picnic blankets and everything

Quote from: falafel on June 15, 2020, 09:43:55 AMa mass close-quarters picnic on the heath

Haha, is that what your mam told you?
"See dear, that ones feeding the other man a nice sausage. Whoops, another Heimlich manoeuvre. They need to slow down."

Endicott

That allowed then?

No it's not. That will probably be shut down by the local council if they are on the ball.

My mate runs a pub in London. He had a visit from the cops and the council guy explaining the rules (which the cops later admitted the council guy was making up as he went along). If you sell take out booze, then it has to be in a sealed container, and you have to have signage explaining that it is for home consumption only. The streets around are a no public drinking zone and the pub is expected to police that for 100 yards in either direction. However because the pub isn't breaking any laws, if you get a crowd outside all that will happen is they shut you down for an hour. This is all the council's interpretation, it's not exactly enshrined in the law.

He still doesn't know when pubs are going to open, although he does expect it to be soon. Social distancing rules apply inside, numbers limited and tables specifically set up for 2 metres, only one person in the lavs at a time, table service only. And unless that gets revoked pretty quickly he expects to be bankrupt by Xmas.

Blue Jam

It's the 15th of July here in Scotchland. That's the date given for "the tourism and hospitality sector" to prepare for reopening.

It's going to be like Mad Friday isn't it? Mad Wednesday. Fuck it, I can't wait to go back to my local and hug all the dogs.

Blue Jam

That allowed then?

The Espy pub in Embra is doing this, but it's right on Portobello Beach so it's a bit different. Not been myself, can't really justify getting on a bus for a few pints and The Sturge has been advising people to stop crowding up the beach.

It wouldn't be allowed in Glasgow though, drinking outdoors in a public place (outside a beer garden) is illegal there. That wouldn't be tolerated in Embra, we need to have our barbecues in The Measows.

Malcy

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2020, 12:38:29 PM
It's the 15th of July here in Scotchland. That's the date given for "the tourism and hospitality sector" to prepare for reopening.

It's going to be like Mad Friday isn't it? Mad Wednesday. Fuck it, I can't wait to go back to my local and hug all the dogs.

I'm struggling to think of any pub in Glasgow that has a lot of outdoor space for drinking.

The Crystal Palace in Glasgow has two tiny rows of seats outside and you're only allowed to smoke in one side of it which is about 3 tables.

I think it will get messy pretty quickly and they'll have to have stricter rules in place or else it will be mayhem!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Malcy on June 15, 2020, 12:55:04 PM
I'm struggling to think of any pub in Glasgow that has a lot of outdoor space for drinking.

WEST On The Green has a beer garden, that's the only one that springs to mind for me. Nae drinking allowed on Glasgow Green itself of course.

Malcy

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2020, 12:59:45 PM
WEST On The Green has a beer garden, that's the only one that springs to mind for me. Nae drinking allowed on Glasgow Green itself of course.

O'Neills or whatever it is on Union St has a bit out the back and is quite spacious inside. Concerned that it's going to be the good pubs that are quite small that are going to struggle the most. I usually drink in the Doublet and even though it's only about once or twice a month I can't really see current restrictions working in there. Too small.

Uncle TechTip

That's what i saw yesterday, a pub serving open pints in crap plastic glasses for a fiver each, as soon as you take them away you are breaking the law as the entire city is an alcohol control zone. CSOs were there to tell people but seemed to be turning a blind eye and encouraging everyone to drink somewhere discreet.