Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:51:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: phes on April 13, 2021, 11:29:23 AM
Fair enough, not as long as I had thought. Would longer really have reduced the surge though, given that only about half of pubs are able to operate with outdoor space. Every pub that I have seen is fully booked in peak times (or any time outside of 9-5), many are totally fully booked for the next week. Fairly sure you could have reduced demand and still not see that result in lower numbers

After 97 days - indeed the best part of 150 days for where I am - I think yesterday was always going to be busy. Today? Saturday? maybe not so much.

phes

Apparently only 40% of pubs have reopened. This week's sold out status surely can't be a surprise with that and practicalities of accommodating social distancing in mind. Would be interesting to compare trade to this time 2 years ago when close to 100% of operational pubs were open. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteMost of this never went away during lockdown, it carried on behind closed doors

Quite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: scarecrow on April 13, 2021, 10:21:12 AM
But the government aren't trying to strike a balance, they're lurching from one extreme to another.

I'm afraid this is not the case at all. In fact, it is so obviously untrue that I find it bizarre to read anyone even claim that is the case. The 'unlocking' has been spread out from March 29th to late June and factors in a lot of wriggle room and capacity to step back. This does seem to be in recognition of previous mistakes and efforts to make it 'the last lockdown' (even if I do think we may need lockdowns every winter for 2-3 weeks for the next few years).

This was also on the back of a long long lockdown where we have got national figures to below 2,000 a day, deaths to single figures and vaccinated half the population.

That doesn't end the risks, but as said up thread, there is a balance and it does seem to me an approximately reasonable decision.

Disclaimer: This is from someone who thinks we should have adopted a zero covid policy and full sharp lockdown and curfew.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 13, 2021, 10:20:33 AM
Great scenes in town last night as I walked home from work - one lad passed out/knocked unconscious in the street while an argument involving ten people carried on around him, litter from every fast food outlet strewn across the street, young girls crying while sitting on kerbs and various street furniture kicked over.  We're back, baby!

#bemorelikeshoulders

#nutbrownale

Shoulders?-Stomach!

At least I honestly make clear what my opinions on the matter are.

I have never been batting for a particular team here. Eg, I previously thought and stated that school openings came a couple of weeks too early. I stated that we should have gone into a full lockdown weeks before Christmas, I was advocating a punitive worldwide 4 week quarantine as the most obvious way of crushing infections and allowing normal life to resume. Among others. Some of which were right, still are right, others proved unfounded fortunately. But it has been clear what I actually think and I've risked being wrong. It's easier to hide behind sideline sniping and obfuscate your day to day views.

scarecrow

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 13, 2021, 12:40:35 PM
I'm afraid this is not the case at all. In fact, it is so obviously untrue that I find it bizarre to read anyone even claim that is the case. The 'unlocking' has been spread out from March 29th to late June and factors in a lot of wriggle room and capacity to step back. This does seem to be in recognition of previous mistakes and efforts to make it 'the last lockdown' (even if I do think we may need lockdowns every winter for 2-3 weeks for the next few years).

This was also on the back of a long long lockdown where we have got national figures to below 2,000 a day, deaths to single figures and vaccinated half the population.

That doesn't end the risks, but as said up thread, there is a balance and it does seem to me an approximately reasonable decision.

Disclaimer: This is from someone who thinks we should have adopted a zero covid policy and full sharp lockdown and curfew.
I accept your points, but think that government has shown a crippling lack of imagination throughout the crisis, and proven incapable of considering any sort of middle ground in its pandemic response. This is most obvious in their apparent disregard for the survivors of COVID who have developed chronic conditions, or the unprotected younger people who will do so over the coming months. To them, you're either alive or dead, while businesses are open or closed.

Despite scientists warning that vaccines are not a silver bullet, the Government has pushed the notion that they are and abdicated its responsibility to take proactive steps to protect us. There's no indication that test and trace has been fixed, and the implication is that we don't need it because of our world beating vaccine rollout. Concerning variants are going to spread with ease.

The easing has been rushed so far, to the point that it seems purely performative (though I concede that we've been in lockdown for three months). I don't think a single measure was in place to make schools safe after months of closure. I don't see any innovative modifications to public spaces, buildings or transport. Clearly business owners aren't being given enough advice, supervision or financial support regarding their role in suppressing the virus.

MojoJojo

Quote from: scarecrow on April 13, 2021, 02:32:46 PMI don't think a single measure was in place to make schools safe after months of closure.

What about bubbles and frequent testing?

scarecrow

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 13, 2021, 03:20:52 PM
What about bubbles and frequent testing?
Are those tests not about 30% accurate and administered at infrequent intervals, and aren't bubbles literally whole year groups?

Uncle TechTip

That's all very well but who stands at the side and makes "Oooh" noises like it's some piece of fucking entertainment?

SteveDave

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 13, 2021, 01:24:26 AM
Honestly it fucks me off how miserable the pub experience must be for anyone putting themselves through this fakery. Table service, outdoor benches, misery. Go the park you mad cunts. People telling me they're excited for some sense of normality pfffftt what the fuck is normal about this wretched environment.

Yes! You can take cans to the park! It's the same but better because a) it's cheaper and b) there's more space.

phes

It's the same but worse for most people because there's fuck all in the way of infrastructure and many parks close in the evening. Not to mention that you're likely to end up on the front a national newspaper when people are inevitably photographed pissing in hedges or leaving piles of litter. There's a reason people want to go to pubs. They're open late, they're lit, they're covered, they may he heated, they're relatively safe, they have toilets. And people actually want to support pubs instead of just buying rock bottom loss-leading drinks from a supermarket that is actively engaged in trying to exterminate pubs whilst contributing absolutely fuck all that replaces that

MojoJojo

Quote from: scarecrow on April 13, 2021, 03:59:27 PM
Are those tests not about 30% accurate and administered at infrequent intervals, and aren't bubbles literally whole year groups?

Giving a single value isn't really very useful for reporting accuracy, and you've taken the lowest possible value. Even so, 30% is something to prevent spread.
In my kids school the bubbles are year groups, but a year group is <30 pupils. I don't know how other schools are doing it.

You can argue the measures aren't enough, but you were saying there weren't any measures at all. And the context here is that schools reopened at the beginning of March and there has been no noticeable increase in infections.

Dr Rock

Quote from: SteveDave on April 13, 2021, 04:06:00 PM
Yes! You can take cans to the park! It's the same but better because a) it's cheaper and b) there's more space.

There's no pool tables in the park.

What's the deal with pub pool now, are you allowed to play?

Sebastian Cobb

Just play darts instead. Lawn darts.

gib

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 13, 2021, 05:12:30 PM

yes but you need an extra long cue to reach the table from the beer garden

scarecrow

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 13, 2021, 05:04:39 PM
You can argue the measures aren't enough, but you were saying there weren't any measures at all. And the context here is that schools reopened at the beginning of March and there has been no noticeable increase in infections.
I concede that some unreliable tests the government bulk bought are being used in schools, and will possibly identify transmission after it's occurred, which is better than nothing, but I really don't think enough is being done to address the ventilation issue.

Schools do seem to be driving up cases among young people, according to my virologist of choice: https://twitter.com/dgurdasani1/status/1380831535419555972?s=19

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gib on April 13, 2021, 05:59:33 PM
yes but you need an extra long cue to reach the table from the beer garden

How do you put the quid in to release the balls?

gib

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 13, 2021, 01:13:54 PM
At least I honestly make clear what my opinions on the matter are.

I have never been batting for a particular team here. Eg, I previously thought and stated that school openings came a couple of weeks too early. I stated that we should have gone into a full lockdown weeks before Christmas, I was advocating a punitive worldwide 4 week quarantine as the most obvious way of crushing infections and allowing normal life to resume. Among others. Some of which were right, still are right, others proved unfounded fortunately. But it has been clear what I actually think and I've risked being wrong. It's easier to hide behind sideline sniping and obfuscate your day to day views.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion and eloquently articulating it, but its the aloofness that grates.

wooders1978

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 13, 2021, 05:12:30 PM

If the table is outdoors I guess?

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 13, 2021, 07:25:02 PM
The 60 Second Shakespeare company have let themselves go.

LADY MACDUFF: GET OFF 'IM YA FUCKIN' NOB

GoblinAhFuckScary

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 13, 2021, 03:29:23 PM
Didn't take York long...
https://twitter.com/Gavoth/status/1381714870417121286

Hey that's where that character jumped/fell off a bridge in At Home With The Braithwaites..action central!

shiftwork2

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on April 13, 2021, 09:15:32 PM
what does it mean

Cases are going to rise, this is either a bit of noise or the start of it.  Could well be the latter.  That's quite an increase.

The farm is currently bet on that not translating to hospitalisation and death on the scale seen in the first two waves.  That idea is based largely on vaccination and perhaps the Spring / Summer climate.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 13, 2021, 03:29:23 PM
Didn't take York long...
https://twitter.com/Gavoth/status/1381714870417121286

Had a furious row with an ex girlfriend just up on that bridge there before getting a train and leaving the city never to return. Happy memories.

PS. York's a shithole and probably the most boring place in England, and I say that as someone who has been to Stafford.

shiftwork2

You're giving yourself away Ferris.  Notwithstanding your emotional resonance it's one of the most delightful and beloved cities.