Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 26, 2020, 06:39:19 PM
i hope everyone remembers you arent allowed to go in wetherspoons

Haven't gone in one since Brexit vote. Didn't go in them much before that because they've always been shit.

I can't understand how I haven't bankrupted them.

But yeah, rather be teetotal.

DrGreggles

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 26, 2020, 06:39:19 PM
i hope everyone remembers you arent allowed to go in wetherspoons

But I've shat in a burger box 'specially.

Cloud

The guidelines were written for Spoons what with the app and all that.  There have honestly been times when I've thought "is Tim Martin a Tory MP or something?"

But yeah as much as I like the cheap booze and food, now's not the time to be supporting a bland chain when the little pubs are struggling to stay open (not that either are getting supported by me for at least the 2 weeks it takes to find out how bad the idea of opening them was)

Icehaven

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on June 26, 2020, 04:13:01 PM

Is *anyone* on 'ere planning to go to the pub next week, anyways? Haven't most folk got used to life without 'em? Waiting 'til Chrimbo to open them seems the best bet.

Nah, and I love pubs, but anyone unbothered enough about the virus to be going straight there as soon as they reopen isn't going to give a shit about social distancing either, so all the talk of limiting capacity and floor markings and blah is pointless, it'll absolutely be ignored because it's the same mentality that's seen the same packs of selfish cunts swarming to beaches and raves. I just wouldn't enjoy it at all, I'd be constantly aware of and infuriated by anyone that came anywhere near me, while simultaneously feeling unable to remonstrate too much as it's not as if I had to be there. Plus I've saved a fucking fortune over the last 3 months and that's partly by not going out, so I'd rather stick to that.

I'm sure I'd think differently if my livelihood depended on the industry though, not that a virus gives a toss about that unfortunately.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah same. I also think that any necessary mild kerfuffle will take the joy out of it anyway.

Danger Man

Not going back until they can show the football.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Danger Man on June 27, 2020, 02:35:51 PM
Not going back until they can show the football.

What's preventing them, the footie's still being televised isn't it, albeit in empty stadiums?

Danger Man

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 27, 2020, 02:38:33 PM
What's preventing them?

Boris Johnson. He's stated that pubs can open but can't show sport or play loud music.

Sebastian Cobb

How does live football or music help the spread of corona? Surely sensible rules about not letting too many people in is all that's required?

Danger Man

QuoteLoud music or loud broadcasts like football will be banned to stop people from having to shout - which carries a greater risk of spreading potentially infected droplets from the mouth.

Sebastian Cobb

If that's the tipping point it's probably not safe to begin with.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pub culture up until the advent of television was famously a group of people turning up to a building to not shout.

Butchers Blind

Will there be pub enforcers?  People outside of the police going from pub to pub making sure everyones a 1m or 1m+?
Someone from inside the pub keeping dog if one of these enforcers comes around to give everyone a shout, "Quick! Everyone 1m!". 

Cloud

Quote from: Danger Man on June 27, 2020, 02:49:11 PM
Boris Johnson. He's stated that pubs can open but can't show sport or play loud music.

Sounds PERFECT, silver linings and all that.  Still staying away.

Pranet

If they made it a rule that everyone had to sit at a table on their own in silence I'd be back as soon as they opened.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pranet on June 27, 2020, 09:24:51 PM
If they made it a rule that everyone had to sit at a table on their own in silence I'd be back as soon as they opened.

Same! I've never quite been able to explain why doing that in a pub is better than doing it at home but it just is. Spose if you start choking on your kettle chips there's people to do the Heimlich.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pranet on June 27, 2020, 09:24:51 PM

or just sit in your shed?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on June 27, 2020, 09:53:36 PM
Same! I've never quite been able to explain why doing that in a pub is better than doing it at home but it just is. Spose if you start choking on your kettle chips there's people to do the Heimlich.

shed...neither home nor pub

Icehaven

Pranet

I don't know you get to see a bit of life I suppose. And there are still beers that are don't get in supermarkets much. I think crisps and peanuts taste a bit different down the pub. Not necessarily better, but different.

Cloud

Quote from: icehaven on June 27, 2020, 09:53:36 PM

Feeling that you're amongst civilisation even if not interacting is very comforting.  It is to me anyway.  It's why I'm sometimes just sat there on my laptop in the pub (browsing around, maybe posting on here), though it does sometimes get cunts marching up demanding to know why you're being so antisocial and not giving them attention.

It's also interesting to just listen to the various conversations sometimes.

Icehaven

Yeah I suppose even when I'm alone in a pub I'm usually still interacting socially either on here, facebook or btl comments etc. Quite like being able to have 'conversations' interspersed with doing crosswords or reading the news etc. Can't really do that in person as it's rude.

BlodwynPig

I agree, being in a pub or cafe in a new town or city is a good experience generally, especially if you don't have commitments, job interviews, meetings or are running from the law/criminal gangs.

Blue Jam

Just had to disappoint a dog. Was walking home through the park when an excited Collie ran over and dropped a tennis ball at my feet and gave me the big pleading eyes that said "Hello, I love you, who are you, I love you, please throw my ball for me, pleeeeeaaase?" I called out to the owner "sorry, I'll keep distancing" and then told the dog "I'm so sorry".

I can't wait until the dog-friendly pubs are open. They'll have to temporarily ban dogs though won't they? I can't imagine my local doing that. It's doggy as fuck, that's one reason I go there.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2020, 09:41:29 AM
I agree, being in a pub or cafe in a new town or city is a good experience generally, especially if you don't have commitments, job interviews, meetings or are running from the law/criminal gangs.

Ever been to The Court Inn in Durham? The one that's so-called because it's by the law courts?Apparently you see a lot of people in suits drinking there and looking like it's the best pint they've ever had. I'll fucking bet it is.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 28, 2020, 05:23:26 PM
Ever been to The Court Inn in Durham? The one that's so-called because it's by the law courts?Apparently you see a lot of people in suits drinking there and looking like it's the best pint they've ever had. I'll fucking bet it is.

when you come down for the snooker meet, we'll pop into the Broad Chare and we can eat pig's ears.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 28, 2020, 05:17:54 PM
Just had to disappoint a dog. Was walking home through the park when an excited Collie ran over and dropped a tennis ball at my feet and gave me the big pleading eyes that said "Hello, I love you, who are you, I love you, please throw my ball for me, pleeeeeaaase?" I called out to the owner "sorry, I'll keep distancing" and then told the dog "I'm so sorry".

I can't wait until the dog-friendly pubs are open. They'll have to temporarily ban dogs though won't they? I can't imagine my local doing that. It's doggy as fuck, that's one reason I go there.

I'm looking after a dog for a few days this week, as a neighbour is going into hospital.
Really looking forward to a bit of company!

Fambo Number Mive

If people aren't meant to use buses and trains for non essential travel, will this lead to a rise in drink driving once the pubs open?

George Oscar Bluth II

Had my first pints in months yesterday, the local is now doing takeaways (ie, you buy from the window of the pub and then stand on the pavement outside the pub) and...fuck me lads a pint is more than you think. Months of boozing on 330ml and 440ml cans have left me unable to deal with, like, two pints.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Can't wait to nip into wetherspoons for a pee, passing the guy who browses Fab Swingers on his laptop without a care in the world.