Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:10:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

this is near the cooperage right? what Wetherspoons is down there? Is it that pub with a bit of a beer garden out front in a yard?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 16, 2021, 08:03:59 PM
What a grey mulch. Do people not get glammed up these days? Monochrome desolation.

The purple stripy trousers one girl is wearing look pretty awesome. I like the trousers that the girl with blonde hair at the left of the photo is wearing as well.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 16, 2021, 08:10:29 PM
From that website I see one venue in Gosforth is including a £5 "table charge" for reservations until they re-open fully on the 17th May. It's not refunded if you do turn up, which seems a bit steep.

Are non-refundable "table charges" something typical of the industry or is this something new?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gosforth-bar-defends-5-table-20401453

That just had a massive renovation before the pandemic, not sure if it had rooms to stay before, but it does now and its looked pretty desolate ever since...so I can understand they are trying to recoup massive losses. The place attracts the worst sort of middle aged thugs and tanned chancers. I daren't think what their toilets will look like after the first night.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 16, 2021, 08:12:13 PM
The purple stripy trousers one girl is wearing look pretty awesome. I like the trousers that the girl with blonde hair at the left of the photo is wearing as well.

The girls look like dormitoried students shuffling to Tesco to get breakfast, the blokes - well it looks like one bloke with the same half shaved hair cloned.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 16, 2021, 08:11:00 PM
this is near the cooperage right? what Wetherspoons is down there? Is it that pub with a bit of a beer garden out front in a yard?

Yeah, Quayside Wetherspoons. Has a bit overlooking the Tyne and another outdoor area through a gate thing

I've been a few times. It's very large indoors with all kinds of different rooms, I remember getting lost in it the first time I went. Although that might be more to do with me having terrible sense of direction.

BlodwynPig

Looks almost quaint, mediterranean there. Shame about reality

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 16, 2021, 08:07:40 PM
Nah it's all about the Peaky Blinders haircuts and trainers for 'spoons these days

come on now

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As evidenced in Chester last night there are a lot of places closing early, 9ish by which time only a few enormous and unappealing venues remain. We got lucky turning up at one place around 6.30pm and in hindsight should have stayed for the during, but we were feeling stuffed and wanted to walk off some food. Also some Legend Gary types and a barking dog and a duck that was raping another duck were  ruining the mood, and it got cold. Actually, maybe we did the right thing.

poo

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 17, 2021, 12:20:46 AM

come on now

you missed this bunch

Gotta love the individualism of British blokes

Blue Jam

Here in Embra I just went past the Teviot's beer garden. The place was hoaching even though it's pissing down and absolutely freezing right now. The beer garden is covered, but still.

I suppose no-one wants to waste a booking but as much as I love going to the pub I'm not that desperate.

Fr.Bigley

Got torrential rain and hail here and I can also spot some drinkers over the road myself. Hard or daft..or both...fair play to em.

jobotic

Still not been to a pub this year. This is not like me

Billy

Amusingly the nearest open Nando's to me had an estimated waiting time of over three hours on a quiet Tuesday afternoon today, to sit on one of the two outdoor tables they had available  - presumably this is just dozens of people scanning in the QR code, seeing the wait time and going "sod that" without actually pressing the Leave Queue button, artificially increasing the minute total each time. God knows what the wait gets to on a weekend there.

Luckily ten minutes down the road was another one (with a big outdoor area), which gave an estimated wait of 28 minutes but only ended up taking five.

Fr.Bigley

Wouldn't go to Nando's in non-wartime. Not for half a chicken and chips. Not with the vapid shits that go in there all chekky like. 

BlodwynPig

Bit tough on Billy, I bet he had a wail of a time with the Piri Piri and conga lines.

Pinball

A hot Bank Holiday weekend is going to be fun...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pinball on April 27, 2021, 11:21:00 PM
A hot Bank Holiday weekend is going to be fun...

Don't worry, it's going to be pissing down all weekend

El Unicornio, mang

Yeah, it feels like winter up here in the North East. Friends are coming up from London expecting a mad one, sitting in a cold drizzly overcrowded beer garden this weekend not very appealing. #debbiedowner

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 28, 2021, 08:21:55 AM
Yeah, it feels like winter up here in the North East. Friends are coming up from London expecting a mad one, sitting in a cold drizzly overcrowded beer garden this weekend not very appealing. #debbiedowner

There is a Newcastle meet on Saturday, but I guess you have friends coming up so don't need us

El Unicornio, mang

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam

Pinball

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam

They're all pool tables by the time the Newcastle weather has finished with them

Blinder Data

been invited to the pub on saturday night. a great opportunity to make new friends as i have few living close by.

but the pub on a saturday night? won't it be rammed full of folk?

swithering over whether to accept or not. if i had had at least one jab I'd be more inclined to say yes...

are you lot just going to the pub like everything's fine?

Sat in pub now as we had a fire alarm at work. Nice and quiet.

Fambo Number Mive

Haven't been to the pub (inside or outside) since early March 2020. Really missing being able to sit and have a glass of Coke and a read (and possibly even something to eat) in a nice pub. Will wait a few weeks until I've had my second vaccine though to sit inside one, just in case.

Outside I might do if quiet from June onwards if cases are still at the same level.

Cuellar

Sat outside at a pub in Finsbury Park on saturday and it was a free for all. Packed in, no distancing, nowt. Probably not going anywhere near a situation like that until I've had at least one vax and a few weeks for it to bed in.