Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shagatha crustie

Pubs are nice, but by Christ this brings home how much of a country of pissheads we are doesn't it? If there's one thing we can agree on in this whole mess it's that we all want to get leathered up in public, even if it's being served in paper cones out of a skip.

Butchers Blind

Most of the proper pubs round my way have very small outdoor areas if at all so not sure how they're going to cope.  Wetherspoons are not pubs and can get to fuck.

bgmnts

Quote from: shagatha crustie on June 15, 2020, 01:45:21 PM
Pubs are nice, but by Christ this brings home how much of a country of pissheads we are doesn't it?

I naively hoped that this time away would make us reassess our dependence on alcohol.

I was well off.

dissolute ocelot

There's a terrible pub near me where all the middle-aged football fans go to have shit half-arsed fights, and it's getting bother for selling "takeaway" pints which everybody takes across the road and sits on a wall and drinks. In fairness, a much more pleasant environment than inside.

Meanwhile the quirky/expensive pubs which have a "secret" (i.e. tiny) beer garden you can only access via a wardrobe at the back of the regular barroom are going to be fucked, social distancing-wise. How do you disinfect a magical wardrobe?

The Culture Bunker

Pubs are nice, but by Christ this brings home how much of a country of pissheads we are doesn't it? If there's one thing we can agree on in this whole mess it's that we all want to get leathered up in public, even if it's being served in paper cones out of a skip.
I have been amazed, from looking at a couple of football forums I frequent, at the general attitude of "get the pubs open, now!". It's not like we've not been able to get booze the last few months.

Certainly I've missed going to my local to watch the football and have a good craic with the other old soaks there, but, y'know, bigger picture and everything. Especially as this particular place is absolutely tiny, with any half-meaningful match seeing it packed to the point it takes about ten minutes to get from your table to the bar and back. 

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What happens when it rains/ when Winer comes/ when a second wave of this fucking killer virus comes?

Blue Jam

Personally I like the social aspects of pubgoing as much as the booze, and my favourite pub is a nice locals pub where I know loads of people and... nah, you're right, we could just as easily meet up in cafes but the UK definitely has pub culture in place of cafe culture.

My local is tiny and full of friendly dogs who have no sense of personal space. These are things I love about it but which will also make it harder to keep open.

shagatha crustie

I like going to the pub too. It's just weird that lockdown has shown it to be the most potent symbol of liberty the British people can muster in their lager addled brains. The purple-nosed and the shirtless chest-beaters, free to ride the second wave together.

flotemysost

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 15, 2020, 05:35:18 PM
Personally I like the social aspects of pubgoing as much as the booze

Yeah, this is what I've been craving - I've been drinking a bit at home but I don't especially want to get pissed (and haven't really done so in lockdown), it's being around other people and having a change of scenery that I miss desperately.

I don't have a established 'local' as I only moved a few weeks before lockdown (and living in London it's probably less of a thing anyway), but I really miss even just going to an interesting-looking pub on my own, reading a book and nursing a pint for a while, but knowing there's always the option of striking up a conversation with a random.

I miss coffee shops for the same reason - it's not even really about drinking booze tbh, but pubs do just have a more sociable aspect to them I guess.

Sheffield Wednesday

I miss the hubbub of a pub and the glassing

Braintree

I miss pub food. I miss how booze is always at the right temperature in a pub.  I miss all non cooked at home/takeaway food to be honest. I am sick of washing up.

Sheffield Wednesday

Brain, I watched Showgirls for the first time the other week. Amazing film. Bravo.

thenoise

Place nearby did 'pub in a box' - box of beer or cider, bottle of wine, bag of nuts/scratchings and a bog roll for 20 quid. Cant say I've seen many bog rolls in pubs, not after 8PM on a Saturday anyway. But it might come in handy to some.

Aaron500

Locals at the rough-arsed boozer near me have re-opened the beer "garden" themselves, meeting up for cans every morning/lunchtime, making a token and fruitless effort to try and hide themselves behind a tree.
Social pisstancing more like.

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on June 15, 2020, 01:48:10 PM
I naively hoped that this time away would make us reassess our dependence on alcohol.

I was well off.

Well given it's meant so many of us no longer had to get up early in the morning every day anymore I correctly guessed that increased drinking is exactly what would happen.

I was bang on.

Cloud

Yeah there are a lot of people in our local who aren't "internet people" and I don't have their contact details because you know, you expected to see them in the pub.  And I miss the buggers, even the slightly racist one.  Can't wait to get back and see how they're doing.

I think all this isolation has given me a new appreciation for interacting with them while we can, rather than sitting in the corner on t'internet "just enjoying the atmosphere", if we ever get there.  I fear we may not be back beyond the brief beer garden month - cold weather, everyone back indoors, second wave, second lockdown and very few pubs or other businesses will survive that.

Then all the proper pubs having gone bust will get replaced either with houses or "craft bars" where it costs £7/pint and is about as atmospheric as a hospital canteen.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Personally I disagree with most of you and think that the best thing about the pub is the drinking and not the social aspect, so I have been buying all the supermarket beers and some online too. I don't live alone though so it's ok 😉

Quote from: falafel on June 15, 2020, 09:43:55 AM
Unlike the cunts we saw having a mass close-quarters picnic on the heath on Saturday afternoon

Proper Mary Whitehouse levels of rage I felt

They had chairs and picnic blankets and everything

Yeah I saw that lot on one of my walks a few weeks back. It's a pain in the arse cause this is probably a better time to go wandering round the heath now that the wankers' golf course has shut.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethe wankers' golf course

Got to watch out for the cum hazards. Many a mis-timed wood shot has ended up there.

Uncle TechTip

I must admit I've been in quite a lot of different pubs and i always find my fellow drinkers i have not attended with to be wankers with nearly no exceptions. You must have to be a certain type of tolerant person to put up with that night after night. Upsides are, you know someone who can get very cheap sacks of potatoes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Malcy on June 15, 2020, 12:55:04 PM
I'm struggling to think of any pub in Glasgow that has a lot of outdoor space for drinking.

The Crystal Palace in Glasgow has two tiny rows of seats outside and you're only allowed to smoke in one side of it which is about 3 tables.

I think it will get messy pretty quickly and they'll have to have stricter rules in place or else it will be mayhem!

the ark's got a fair bit and an outside pool table.

Sheffield Wednesday

Never going to a pub again. Can get way better shit for way cheaper from Framconia online and drink it in my nice room. Too bad if you want to go out and glass me. I won't even be there so you have to glass someone else 😂😂😂

Butchers Blind

PlanktonSideburns

Two codgers looking VERY sheepish in the beer garden of a pub down my way today

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 17, 2020, 11:29:40 AM

Icehaven

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 17, 2020, 11:29:40 AM

A few weeks back I had to go to a post office which is next to a pub (closed of course) that has a few benches outside. Similarly there were a few old blokes sitting there drinking tinnies but constantly looking round furtively, clearly torn between their defiant determination to do what they always do and the inability to enjoy it due to the constant fear someone was going to challenge them or the police were going to show up. They'd have been better off in a park or something.

Quote from: icehaven on June 17, 2020, 05:16:03 PM
A few weeks back I had to go to a post office which is next to a pub (closed of course) that has a few benches outside. Similarly there were a few old blokes sitting there drinking tinnies but constantly looking round furtively, clearly torn between their defiant determination to do what they always do and the inability to enjoy it due to the constant fear someone was going to challenge them or the police were going to show up. They'd have been better off in a park or something.

you're Brum-based, iirc.

The guys that are often outside the RVT are shameless with it. Police in the JQ are turning the blindest of eyes to drinking in any of the public spaces.

Before the sesh, they play cricket. That's always good for a lunchbreak.

Black Ship

I don't know what the fuck is going on to honest. I'm getting some communications back but they don't really say anything. July 4th is still the date pencilled in for reopening. Might be a meeting at the end of the week.