Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: Pranet on July 16, 2020, 05:45:57 PM
Had a couple of afternoon pints in my local's beer garden today. It was with my brother after our mum's funeral so I think we had an excuse. It was fine, may go again. But still wouldn't want to go when it was busy or sit inside.

Sorry for your loss.

Pranet

Thank you. It isn't the first time I've mentioned it on here but I promise I will stop at some point.

Remembered why I don't often do afternoon drinking now, rest of the day does become considerably more complex.

Blinder Data

My first pint since lockdown was an ice-cold Tennents in a beer garden on Sunday. I've said it before and I'll say it again - of all the shit lagers in the world, Tennents is probably the best. There's your marketing slogan, lads.

Planning on meeting up with some colleagues in about a month's time in a beer garden, weather, virus and various life decisions permitting. I'll need to be choosey about the venue though - the pub nearest me has taken over half the pavement with tables, the staff aren't wearing masks and it seems busier than ever. It feels like there's a big sliding scale of how seriously venues are taking precautions.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 17, 2020, 01:25:54 PM
My first pint since lockdown was an ice-cold Tennents in a beer garden on Sunday. I've said it before and I'll say it again - of all the shit lagers in the world, Tennents is probably the best. There's your marketing slogan, lads.

Agreed. It's always a fucker when I go back down south as I forget that it's not ubiquitous, then usually have to make a decision under duress, which usually results in Fosters, or worse, Carling.

Blue Jam

Yes, I'm quite partial to a Tennent's. I don't drink it that often because here in Scotchland we're spoiled for choice with all the nice local lagers like Schiehallion, St. Mungo's and Paolozzi, but when I'm in a pub where the options are more limited it's good to see Tennent's as the default lager option and a pint of Tennent's will do nicely.

The alcohol-free version, Tennent's Hee-Haw, is pretty good too. I used to go to the excellent Clerk's Bar in Newington and order two small bottles and pour them into the same pint glass so it felt like drinking a proper pint. Unfortunately another pubco bought Clerk's and decided it would be better as a Mexican-themed tequila bar, it wasn't and it closed down and is now the Sonder restaurant... anyway, I've not seen Hee-Haw anywhere since.

Chedney Honks

Pranet

Sorry to hear about your mum, fella. I think a couple of pints with your brother are very important. All the best.

Sebastian Cobb

I love a remote pub where the beer options are 'Both kinds... Tennents and McEwans'.

A good example being the Fiddichside in Craigellahie.

That's the whole pub, the rest of it is their house, I've been in when it was dead and he had to shuffle from his lounge into the bar to serve us.

It looked like this place was set to go for good when the guy owning it passed away. It was originally his wife that ran it then when she died he took up the job, but they had no kids to pass it on to. It did shut 'for good' according to google, but it looks like some other people have took it on now.

Blue Jam

Just read your post Pranet, I'm sorry for your loss x

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 17, 2020, 02:32:46 PM
I love a remote pub where the beer options are 'Both kinds... Tennents and McEwans'.

A good example being the Fiddichside in Craigellahie:

It looked like this place was set to go for good when the guy owning it passed away. It was originally his wife that ran it then when she died he took up the job, but they had no kids to pass it on to. It did shut 'for good' according to google, but it looks like some other people have took it on now.

Have you been to The Waverley in Edinburgh? As the name implies it is very far from a remote pub but the beer options use to be "lager", "bitter" and "80 shilling" from three unmarked pumps. I think the wine options were "red" and "white".

It was owned by two brothers, one of whom passed away in the 1970's. The surviving brother decided to leave the decor untouched in his memory, and consequently it was like a time capsule, with its proper 70's pub wallpaper and fading posters for gigs and plays pasted all over the ceiling.

The pub closed down after the surviving brother died a few year ago. Its future was uncertain and there was talk of turning it into a community arts space when someone else bought it and reopened the pub. They expanded the drinks range and added some actual pump clips so you can now see exactly what you're drinking, but thankfully they've left the decor largely untouched. They've done a great job.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pranet on July 16, 2020, 07:38:26 PM
Thank you. It isn't the first time I've mentioned it on here but I promise I will stop at some point.

Talk about it as much as you like. I miss my dad every day. One love <3

Blue Jam

Just brought Mr Jam to our local for our first lockdown pints as a koople. Nae dugs in today but we did spot a Proclaimer on our way over here.

One of the pubs nearest me already closed as a member of staff has symptoms. The nearest thing I have resembling a local has postponed reopening as a result. I've been told that some of the more incestuous craft places round here have been very much 'no fucks' about keeping the rules adhered to, and had a big old hug on opening night - all the while posting on the socials about doing their very best to keep the punters safe.

I was looking forward to having a slightly more regimented dayer than usual in August, but it doesn't seem all that sensible based on the anecdotal evidence I'm hearing. Bring on Round 2. And maybe some cans in a park.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 17, 2020, 02:53:26 PM
Have you been to The Waverley in Edinburgh? As the name implies it is very far from a remote pub but the beer options use to be "lager", "bitter" and "80 shilling" from three unmarked pumps. I think the wine options were "red" and "white".

It was owned by two brothers, one of whom passed away in the 1970's. The surviving brother decided to leave the decor untouched in his memory, and consequently it was like a time capsule, with its proper 70's pub wallpaper and fading posters for gigs and plays pasted all over the ceiling.

The pub closed down after the surviving brother died a few year ago. Its future was uncertain and there was talk of turning it into a community arts space when someone else bought it and reopened the pub. They expanded the drinks range and added some actual pump clips so you can now see exactly what you're drinking, but thankfully they've left the decor largely untouched. They've done a great job.

Looking at it on Streetview, I think I've been in there but not 100% sure.

I was in a harbour pub once when a bloke came off the boat with a couple of women. The bloke ordered a pint and a bottle of red while the ladies went and found a seat, the barmaid handed him the two house reds he could choose from, at which point he held them both in his hands pensively for a moment before exclaiming 'that yin's caulder, I'll take it!'.

Head Gardener

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phes on July 18, 2020, 11:47:13 AM

thankfully they've recently renamed the place in honour of Sir Captain Tom Moore...

"Tom Moore is a Complete and Utter Dick"

phes

First chance I had last night to relatively safely enjoy sitting out on the street and watching the world go by over a couple of pints. Lovely. The Swifts were screeching overhead and a passing gull streaked shit across the full length of my table. Was interesting to learn that seagull shit is clear several seconds after falling from it's arse.

Blue Jam

That's actually seagull wee. Birds' nitrogenous waste is uric acid, because producing urea dissolved in a bladderful of water like us mammals do would weigh them down and make flying more difficult. It comes out clear and dries white. If there is anything dark and solid in it, that's seagull poo- it all comes out of the same hole, the dirty bastards.

I know this because I live in Edinburgh and we are particularly plagued with cuntbeaks up here.

Sebastian Cobb

I once pushed a button in on the pedestrian crossing and a seagull sat atop of the pole shat all down me arm.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 18, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
I once pushed a button in on the pedestrian crossing and a seagull sat atop of the pole shat all down me arm.

You are Fred Flintstone aicm£5

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Finally got to The Star in Bath, mercifully half empty. Can't even pretend I come here to pet a dog or hang out with a bunch of familiar faces but I've bloody missed this

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 18, 2020, 03:16:07 PM

...or some other Morrissey lyric.

phes

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 18, 2020, 02:47:32 PM
That's actually seagull wee. Birds' nitrogenous waste is uric acid, because producing urea dissolved in a bladderful of water like us mammals do would weigh them down and make flying more difficult. It comes out clear and dries white. If there is anything dark and solid in it, that's seagull poo- it all comes out of the same hole, the dirty bastards.

I know this because I live in Edinburgh and we are particularly plagued with cuntbeaks up here.

Interesting. Assumed it was crap on account of the viscosity

Pranet

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 18, 2020, 05:08:17 PM
Finally got to The Star in Bath, mercifully half empty. Can't even pretend I come here to pet a dog or hang out with a bunch of familiar faces but I've bloody missed this

I love the Star but I was using it the other day as an example of a pub that has tiny rooms and not much ventilation.

MojoJojo

So the pub reopening doesn't seem to have had a noticible affect on covid numbers. Which is nice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 26, 2020, 10:33:23 AM
So the pub reopening doesn't seem to have had a noticible affect on covid numbers. Which is nice.

evidence that please

Bazooka

So the pub reopening doesn't seem to have had a noticible affect on covipd numbers. Which is nice.

Pork Scratching related deaths have tripled.

MrMrs

Surely no

Cloud

The numbers do seem stable still

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

I think we'd have known within 14 days if it'd had a major impact, but we can be more confident at the 1 month mark.

Which is good!  At least the opening, whilst I disagreed with opening indoors, has been relatively sensible.  The next worries are night clubs (with all that up close and personal contact, shouting, dancing etc) and schools, whichever come first...