Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Wouldn't say that's panic stations but it's a question of whether it starts getting steep in the coming week or two when the initial infections would've started spreading out

Blinder Data

Just booked a table for some drinks in a two and a half weeks time! Hope the world is not on fire by then

Chedney Honks

While many social things are still outdoors, it seems to have less impact which makes sense given what we now know about the effects of airborne transmission. Numbers are creeping up though, and as we've also seen previously, growth becomes quite quickly exponential (almost every country has reported this).

We can see where localised spikes have arisen in Germany, Spain, Italy, South Korea, Hong Kong, Vietnam et al that nightlife/social spaces are the direct cause in the majority of cases.

I don't see how we can do anything more about that if we want the hospitality industry to survive. On the flipside, more people will die. That's the crux.

GoblinAhFuckScary

'Bout to do me first pub since Feb.

Honestly more worried about using the bathrooms than thee virus tbh.

Marner and Me

So I don't need a facemask for the pub, but I need one to goto a shop, whats the fucking point?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Report:

Pub was nice.

However, for the latter half I had two middle-aged, middle-class blokes going onnnnnnn and onnnnn at me about Germaine Greer and why communism is bad. Totally forgot that pubs are inhabited by such denizens.

bgmnts

Who the fuck talks about old feminists and communism at the pub?

jobotic

Maybe GoblinAhFuckScary sat down with them, uninvited, and said "Evening gents. Good to be back in the old boozer eh? Tell you what else is good - old feminists and communism. What say you?"

GoblinAhFuckScary

Such denizens meaning men who just NEED to share their very well thought-out opinions in increasingly incoherent fashion.

I think in my town, men with strong opinions on said subjects is not entirely unusual.

"IF YA BEEN TO CAMBODIA MATE YOU'D KNOW WHAT YER ON ABOUT"

Cloud

The pub being a talking place for conservatives is definitely not unusual here.

We do have a very vocal leftie as well though.

DrGreggles

Been to a pub a few times now and I've actually quite enjoyed it.
Being in a small group of people, chatting and drinking - it's like a Zoom call, but in person!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 29, 2020, 10:05:30 AM
Been to a pub a few times now and I've actually quite enjoyed it.
Being in a small group of people, chatting and drinking - it's like a Zoom call, but in person!

With added risk of a tortuous death...and that is not considering the increased risk of catching the virus

DrGreggles

Not really. Including bar staff there were no more than 15 people, all outside, all socially distanced.

spaghetamine

Can't be arsed, would much rather sit in a field with some cans

GoblinAhFuckScary

Cloud

Fambo Number Mive

Looks like pubs could be closing again soon to encourage schools to reopen. Not sure if closing pubs will be enough to mitigate the likely rise in cases caused by opening schools. Surely they will need to actually enforce face mask wearing at some point?

Blue Jam

Oh fuck, does this mean loads of peeps will be coming up here to drink in our nice Scottish pubs and give us their dirty English germs?

I'm gonna throw a bottle of Coke at Nigel Farage if he tries any of that shit with us.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 01, 2020, 04:07:33 PM
Looks like pubs could be closing again soon to encourage schools to reopen. Not sure if closing pubs will be enough to mitigate the likely rise in cases caused by opening schools. Surely they will need to actually enforce face mask wearing at some point?

An unofficial comment by a SAGE man that the papers have made gospel.

How do you get real news at the moment?  I've all but given up on it.

Cloud

It's a fair proposal, mind.  I'm more worried about kids being brought up to fear being within 2m of each other and taught over Zoom calls than us missing out on the pub. We managed without it before.

batwings

Quote from: Cloud on July 29, 2020, 06:39:27 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53586133/coronavirus-packed-beer-garden-at-stone-outbreak-pub

Well, here we go...

Seem to remember massive new spikes being started in areas of China over situations like this...

" One person who tested positive after being at the pub also held a private gathering, causing a further spread, Staffordshire County Council said.
The BBC has approached the Crown and Anchor for comment."

BBC being a bit judgmental with its rhyming slang there.

BlodwynPig

Do you think they'll get a comment and follow up on the story?

Uncle TechTip

It's shorthand for we called them or sent a Facebook message, but they didn't answer.

Catalogue Trousers

BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY DEAD AAAAAAHHHHH

jobotic

First pub since March last night. Wish I'd picked a better one. We sat in the garden but no table service, no taking names and people standing at the bar.

Worse was the train (I didn't get a train JUST to go the pub). First train journey since February. Almost no one under thirty had a mask on and there was no one to enforce it. Not to mention blokes even older than me giving it the "come on then, challenge me" approach.

Fucks sake.

phes

Interesting. I've taken several train journeys with two or three legs each, so maybe a dozen separate journeys, and I haven't seen a single person without a mask

jobotic

Quote from: phes on August 02, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
Interesting. I've taken several train journeys with two or three legs each, so maybe a dozen separate journeys, and I haven't seen a single person without a mask

I swear! Maybe it's where I live or the time of day. Lot of people in Arsenal or Chelsea shirts yesterday, don't know where they were going. Pubs couldn't show it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on August 02, 2020, 01:43:28 PM
I swear! Maybe it's where I live or the time of day. Lot of people in Arsenal or Chelsea shirts yesterday, don't know where they were going. Pubs couldn't show it?

They're breaking the law. Citizens arrest. DO IT

The Mollusk

I begrudgingly went out to Camden last night for a friend's birthday (a pub and a restaurant) and the distancing measures might as well have not existed at all. It would be laughable if it weren't actually horrifying.

Blue Jam

Went to the pub this afternoon for a friend's birthday. It was all pretty quiet and civilised and the pub, while perfectly suited to The New Normal with its spaced-out tables, was half-empty.

Pubs in Scotchland have been able to open since the 15th of July but most of the ones round here are still closed, and the ones which have opened haven't had a Mad Friday-style stampede. People are behaving themselves up here.