Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2020, 10:09:50 AM
If you don't drink a load of pints then you actually have to go to the effort of doing something interesting.

Surely it's more to do with how many pints the people you're with have drunk?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2020, 07:35:40 PM
Spoons getting hammered for not taking details properly.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-virologist-finds-wetherspoons-18740120?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

und? Do you think they will be ordered to shut down, a fine perhaps, so censure of Tim Martin?

Quote"No system is risk-free and it is not possible to verify the information that the customer provides. However, we are confident the system will work well. Bar staff do tell customers but we can't guarantee this happens every time."

Not until next FUCKING week, NEXT WEEK that this becomes mandatory!

Sebastian Cobb

TBH I wouldn't want to fill in my name and contact details on a bit of paper for all the staff and possibly the customers to have.

But that's one of the reasons I'm not going to pubs, along with y'know, it not being safe.

olliebean

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2020, 07:42:02 PM
TBH I wouldn't want to fill in my name and contact details on a bit of paper for all the staff and possibly the customers to have.

Especially not in Wetherspoons.

Rev+

Might have mentioned it already but found out in the week that the 'local' took £2k more on the first night of re-opening than they did on New Year's Eve.  [nb]Hertfordshire, sold six more pints etc.[/nb]  There's already been at least one massive tear-up in the garden requiring police and ambulances.  Glad it's working out for some of you, but we as a nation are too fucking dumb for this.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 09, 2020, 07:35:40 PM
Spoons getting hammered for not taking details properly.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/coronavirus-scotland-virologist-finds-wetherspoons-18740120?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

That's worrying as there is a 'spoons right at the entrance to Waverley Station. A few superspreaders probably passing through before infecting the rest of the country.

Here me and Mr Jam have been to three different pubs since the lockdown was eased. Two of them are pretty big and have been able to space out the tables and keep people apart with relative ease while keeping everything feeling pretty normal. The third is a bit too small and now has only four tables inside, and they're almost always taken, so we have only managed to get a table and have a drink there once. My favourite pub opens in a few days but being small and very dog-friendly they might struggle.

Lots of places still haven't opened yet and a lot of the ones that have are pretty quiet. I think people are staying away until things are more normal. The only exceptions have been The Pear Tree, with people queuing to get into its massive beer garden, and The Southsider, which is a bit bleak right now, probably because The Grapes is still closed.

Pisspoor Southpour still shut. Hurrah.

jobotic

Went to Whitsable on Saturday. Second pub experience - much better. Made us wait at the door, sanitise our hands, walked us through to the garden where we were shown to a table, then table service. Only had the one.

The town though - fucking Legend Garies everywhere, with their Hitler Jugend haircuts giving it all that. Hideous.

Blue Jam

Fancied a quiet drink last night. My local with its four indoor tables was at full capacity, while the other pub I tried was closing at 9.30 because it had been quiet. I passed two other pubs I didn't fancy going into (one a bit rough, the other a bit pricey) and they were both still open but absolutely dead.

A few weeks ago I was really looking forward to pubs reopening and getting back to a bit of normality. Now having the pubs open just feels like a novelty that has already worn off. With hand sanitiser dispensers, lists of rules on the walls and tape on the floor they don't yet feel like places where I can relax. I think it'll be a while before I'm going as regularly as before, and judging by how quiet the pubs have been it looks like a lot of people feel the same way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWith hand sanitiser dispensers, lists of rules on the walls and tape on the floor they don't yet feel like places where I can relax.

*Insert Sam Smiths joke*

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Serious answer now, I think busy places make me nervous and put me on edge now, whether that's a pub or anywhere else.

Staff camaraderie in some places has been great. Really impressed and humbled by people who are often only making minimum wage are pulling together. As one said 'it isn't a minimum wage job anymore'.

A lot of my favourite pubs are drinks focused or to use the revolting industry term 'wet-led' (urrgh). Wintery cosy spots are still shut. With that in mind I have been sitting outside where possible, dreaming of better days to come.

Meeting my friend in Sheffield this week so we will see how Pub City is bearing up.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2020, 12:35:11 PM

A few weeks ago I was really looking forward to pubs reopening and getting back to a bit of normality. Now having the pubs open just feels like a novelty that has already worn off. With hand sanitiser dispensers, lists of rules on the walls and tape on the floor they don't yet feel like places where I can relax. I think it'll be a while before I'm going as regularly as before, and judging by how quiet the pubs have been it looks like a lot of people feel the same way.

Same feeling. At one point we were told we could go from the upstairs outdoor area (which was starting to get chilly) as tables were free indoors, and as we walked to the table the bar security guy shouted "YOU CAN'T JUST SIT ANYWHERE!" at us, until the bar person informed him what was up. Other places, people confused, asking if they could go to the bar or if they had to wait for table service. People wandering around looking for bars with space, many just giving up and just going home (as we did eventually).

Although I find the aspect of British drinking culture with pubs packed to the rafters with identical looking people, ridiculously loud music and all that "weeeurgh! wahey!" aggressive nonsense very unappealing anyway so I don't miss that at all.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 10, 2020, 12:50:23 PM

Although I find the aspect of British drinking culture with pubs packed to the rafters with identical looking people, ridiculously loud music and all that "weeeurgh! wahey!" aggressive nonsense very unappealing anyway so I don't miss that at all.

you can get an app now that allows you to have that experience at home if you have 5G Television and sound system.

Blue Jam

Also while my favourite pub is about to reopen, my favourite pub dog has died and won't be there to greet everyone, so it will just be very sad to see her seat lying empty.

Yes, it very definitely was her seat. That's the kind of pub dog she was :'(

Pranet

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 10, 2020, 12:50:23 PM
. Other places, people confused, asking if they could go to the bar or if they had to wait for table service. Pe

Yeah, I've been to three pubs since they re-opened, and there is always a bit before I go in where I hang around trying to work out what the system is at this place.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 10, 2020, 12:51:48 PM
you can get an app now that allows you to have that experience at home if you have 5G Television and sound system.

If there's one that has the ambience of a smattering of non-loud people and music at barely audible level I'm in. Oh, that's another thing I don't miss, blokes standing in a circle in crowded pubs and one of them farts and thinks it's hilarious/top bantz.

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2020, 01:07:01 PM
Also while my favourite pub is about to reopen, my favourite pub dog has died and won't be there to greet everyone, so it will just be very sad to see her seat lying empty.

One of my locals somewhat solved that problem

http://www.tynemouth.frankgillings.com/dog.html

Sebastian Cobb

Fr.Bigley

Went for a day oot in York last week and thought i'd pop my head about the Kings arms by the Ouse. Normally its a fine establishment with the usual flood proof slabs and bench seating (Famously floods annually or thereabouts) but this particular day i noticed more Sam Smiths shenanigans, namely "no cards, cash only".

This got me thinking, is the Humphrey bloke that owns the chain trying to sabotage his own company to sell off the sites and retire to wherever rich cunts retire? Once you look at the myriad of stupid rules imposed in the last few years it's becoming increasingly obvious he wants the business to fail, sell off the obscene amount of properties the brewery owns and feet up. 

Some rules a follows:

1.No electronic devices of any kind anywhere in the pubs.
2.No swearing (what the fucks that about?)
3.No Card payments, even in the key touristy pubs.
4."Conversation" encouraged (dunno if you've been to an inner city SS pub when its 2 pound odd a pint, but its less conversant than my post stroke nanna)
5.If any management couple don't adhere to the rules 100% or have any punters flout any of the rules above during their stewardship; out on their arse, no refund of the buy in and no explanation give.

So, your thoughts lads and lasses?

BlodwynPig

Cuellar

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 10, 2020, 01:42:17 PM
Went for a day oot in York last week and thought i'd pop my head about the Kings arms by the Ouse. Normally its a fine establishment with the usual flood proof slabs and bench seating (Famously floods annually or thereabouts) but this particular day i noticed more Sam Smiths shenanigans, namely "no cards, cash only".

This got me thinking, is the Humphrey bloke that owns the chain trying to sabotage his own company to sell off the sites and retire to wherever rich cunts retire? Once you look at the myriad of stupid rules imposed in the last few years it's becoming increasingly obvious he wants the business to fail, sell off the obscene amount of properties the brewery owns and feet up. 

Some rules a follows:

4."Conversation" encouraged (dunno if you've been to an inner city SS pub when its 2 pound odd a pint, but its less conversant than my post stroke nanna)
5.If any management couple don't adhere to the rules 100% or have any punters flout any of the rules above during their stewardship; out on their arse, no refund of the buy in and no explanation give.

Would the business need to fail for him to sell it all off and retire? Couldn't he just do that?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Cuellar on August 10, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
Would the business need to fail for him to sell it all off and retire? Couldn't he just do that?

Trying to avoid nepotistic hand over? by all accounts, the sons and grandsons are also Uber cunts.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2020, 12:08:14 AM
Lots of places still haven't opened yet and a lot of the ones that have are pretty quiet. I think people are staying away until things are more normal. The only exceptions have been The Pear Tree, with people queuing to get into its massive beer garden, and The Southsider, which is a bit bleak right now, probably because The Grapes is still closed.

Pisspoor Southpour still shut. Hurrah.

The Southsider is normally one of the few Edinburgh city centre pubs where you're guaranteed to have large numbers of random drunk people strike up a conversation with you whatever the time of day, no stony Edinburgh reserve there. Does "bleak" mean less of this, or more of this?

Blue Jam

I don't know, I go to lots of pubs where randoms will start chatting with you, but in a nice, non-lairy way. The Southsider is one of those pubs where the clientele are a bit older and a bit drunker with fewer teeth and there is often a mobility scooter parked outside.

Is it ableist to observe that the number of mobility scooters parked outside a pub is directly proportional to the bleakness of the pub? Drouthy Neebours reopened recently and that always seems to have at least one parked outside. Also The Grapes and Oman's frequently have them.

I pass Oman's on my commute, it looks absolutely terrifying.

Sebastian Cobb

lol, since I've left Aberdeen I've been informed two of the old regulars are now in scooters (would've been 3 but dead).

One COPD and the other basically stuck in the 'overweight with knackered knees, can't get operated on without losing weight but that's hard to do because their knees make them immobile' trap. I don't think either of them are 60 yet but I could be wrong.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote1.No electronic devices of any kind anywhere in the pubs.

Worth still, all their drinks prices have gone up by 30-40% and pubs are reporting they are way down on supplies.

Cloud

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2020, 01:07:01 PM

:(

I'm the same with the feeling of the novelty wearing off.  It's been nice to catch up with old friends and have a breather - now I'm okay with the prospect of them shutting to offset the impact of the schools.  I just dread to think how few will stay open long term... how many will be around still when if we ever get this thing to a stage where we can go back to "normal normal".

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 10, 2020, 01:42:17 PM

Had me until 1.  The owner sounds like the same kind of cunt as those random punters who kept coming to tell me off for minding my own business in a quiet corner with a laptop.

Blue Jam

I do love a Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout on a hot day. They let gayophobes run their pubs though, and the No Swearing thing can fuck the fuck off.

Cuellar

I think they should be closed down if they refuse to take card payments in this time of COVID

Icehaven

Just stopped off in one of my old watering holes on the way back from somewhere, they're taking it very seriously, they seat you, you can't move, table service only, no walk-ins for food (although what's to stop you just going outside and ringing to book...), although weirdly they aren't taking names and numbers for track and trace, where other pubs with less strict rules are. Bloke who seated us forgot to mention it's card payment only until after our drinks arrived so we nearly had an embarrassing moment until I found my card. It's nice and empty though.

phes

Stopped for a couple of pints at Small Bar in Bristol. They took my details via their website login. Sat outside under an umbrella, ordered and paid via their website and a bar person delivered it. Was about as distancy as it gets. Was surprised how many people walked away when told by the fellow seating people that it was card only.

Why's that then?

Already got out cash and don't have more in bank
Dale Gribble
Hooky Street
Not allowed card
Can't be arsed and think card more trouble
Cards are for softies
Wife/husband must not see purchase details on statements
Fiddling work?

What's it all aboot. Not suggesting a cashless society is a good thing, just surprised by how many folks that have money to spunk in the pub won't use a card