Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

I stopped off at the same pub for one pint during a bike ride, the other day it was much busier and I just got served at the bar, this time they wanted everyone to write their name and number down for track and trace.. Hmm.

Didn't have my wallet so tried to use NFC on my phone to make a contactless payment, and the machine wasn't having it, so stood there for over a minute swiping it over and over with the staff person making excuses for me. I then realised the Barclays app had updated and therefore wiped the default NFC pay app settings so I just had to re-assign it as the default app to use in Android and it finally worked and I walked outside and sat down with my pint on this hot, muggy day. Then the thunder started and it began pissing down, luckily I had a raincoat in my bag. Stopped off at a Co-op garage on the way home on the off-chance and ker-ching - `Junk food consumed in quarantine' thread crossover!

Cloud

Thankfully case numbers in my region are 0-1 (or were on the 6th) according to the new regional map here:
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases
So I'm less terrified, but seeing that our local is showing some sport that I assume is football right now and a small but notable handful of the usual noisy people that accompany the sport are in the premises, it makes me a little bit twitchy.  I just hope no one scores as the sudden cheer makes me jump at the best of times!l

It's very laissez faire here, I've never seen anyone recording details, table service went out of the window within a week when one of the bar staff was getting annoyed with walking around, still no contactless, people allowed to mix around as long as they don't take the piss.  Right now it's fine and the sort of risk management I can deal with (I don't see a need to go full fascist at current numbers) but if the numbers go sharp again I'll be back to avoiding.  Can't comment on what is and isn't legal as all the laws related to the vid are as clear as mud and change with the wind (by design, IMO)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cloud

Can't speak for Hand Solo but I had the poor man's katsu curry crisps (Seabrooks, also got chilli con carne) and they were alright.  They indeed tasted vaguely like katsu curry, which is better than the chilli con carne ones which tasted more like the boiled white rice it usually comes with.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 10, 2020, 09:29:22 PM
How were the Katsu concoctions?

I make Katsu curry at home so know the ingredients and the list on the back is consistent (no MSG either but I'm not sure if they pump it full at that at restaurants, most likely in Asian foods) so it actually tastes rather faithful. One packet was opened for my Dad to test because he's never tried them and I put a clothes peg on the packet and stuck it in the fridge as I'd just had my dinner, my Dad kept going back to it so I eventually just got them out and stuck a bowlful in front of him and had the rest while we were having beers and watching series 1 of Only Fools & Horses which I've never seen and is sans original shit theme tune on Netflix. They are very moreish and I have another packet ready for next drink night, would have shoved a load more in my back pack but they would have got crushed in transit as it says LIMITED EDITION on the front so.. either they're on the way out or just putting that to make twats like me buy loads.

While we were watching TV earlier it looks like Walkers have also started a YO!Katsu curry line, might try them and give the exciting comparison review.

George Oscar Bluth II

Wait, Sam Smith's have stopped taking card payments since the pandemic? Fuck me.

Been to three different pubs since the Great Reopening and measures have ranged from "completely normal" to "someone stands ten metres away in the beer garden, you shout their order to them and then they bring it out and leave it on a table near the door and shout for you to come and get it" via "literally have a bespoke app that only applies in our pub".

The Roofdog

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on August 11, 2020, 09:35:12 AM
Wait, Sam Smith's have stopped taking card payments since the pandemic? Fuck me.

They never took cards did they? Not a pandemic thing.

gib

Quote from: Hand Solo on August 11, 2020, 01:08:34 AMOne packet was opened for my Dad to test because he's never tried them and I put a clothes peg on the packet and stuck it in the fridge

wait, what, crisps in fridge?

ASFTSN

Quote from: The Roofdog on August 11, 2020, 10:01:59 AM
They never took cards did they? Not a pandemic thing.

I've definitely paid on card my local one before.

Hand Solo

Quote from: gib on August 11, 2020, 11:40:11 AM

Yep, purely for oxidisation reasons. Prob nicer cold imo.

ASFTSN

Used to eat crisps from a refrigerated vending machine on night shifts and quite enjoyed the sensation although anything to break the monotony on a night shifts was welcome. /banality

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: gib on August 11, 2020, 11:40:11 AM

As heinous a crime as putting chocolate in the fridge.

Sebastian Cobb

JamesTC

Once knew somebody who would eat crisps out the freezer.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JamesTC on August 12, 2020, 12:27:51 PM
Once knew somebody who would eat crisps out the freezer.

I used to freeze twix's. Delicious crunchy caramel.

olliebean

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 12, 2020, 11:36:54 AM
As heinous a crime as putting chocolate in the fridge.

Although in the current heat eating chocolate from the fridge is marginally preferable to eating chocolate with the consistency of butter and ending up with it smeared all over my fingers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Refrigerated crisps. No mate, I'm too busy sitting front on on a toilet, wiping my shitty arse by bending forward and between my legs while applying mayonnaise to a toaster, driving a car permanently in reverse gear while craning my neck, smashing dirty crockery against the wall once I've finished eating, keeping my relatives in a cupboard for special occasions and counting to potato on a star chart made of hula hoops.

Cloud

Ours is really pushing it now. The guy in charge today happily let the "vinyl club" go back to normal, which is, on Tuesdays a couple of guys bring in massive speakers and a record player and start blasting out old shite at 80-90dB. It was always just sort of tolerated (this "club" started late last year) that they'd bring in their own personal setup and bugger everyone else who's in to have a quiet pint and a chat.  All well and good that it often sounds like the Fallout Wastelands, but this means singing in one corner and shouting everywhere else

We're in a "0-1 cases" area so that's something but it can so quickly turn to shit with this kind of complacency. Then again, indoor music performances are allowed now aren't they? So of course every pub is going to see this as a green light to crank the noise up to 11 again.

May have to give it up again, our pub felt fairly safe at first but they're taking the piss now... keeping a close eye on the figures at least.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cloud on August 19, 2020, 01:12:27 AM
Ours is really pushing it now. The guy in charge today happily let the "vinyl club" go back to normal, which is, on Tuesdays a couple of guys bring in massive speakers and a record player and start blasting out old shite at 80-90dB. It was always just sort of tolerated (this "club" started late last year) that they'd bring in their own personal setup and bugger everyone else who's in to have a quiet pint and a chat.  All well and good that it often sounds like the Fallout Wastelands, but this means singing in one corner and shouting everywhere else

We're in a "0-1 cases" area so that's something but it can so quickly turn to shit with this kind of complacency. Then again, indoor music performances are allowed now aren't they? So of course every pub is going to see this as a green light to crank the noise up to 11 again.

May have to give it up again, our pub felt fairly safe at first but they're taking the piss now... keeping a close eye on the figures at least.

Unless you have a life or death need to go to the pub, stay away friend.

idunnosomename

Blue Jam

Mr Jam and I went out for a meal at our local tonight. It felt nice and normal and cost £12 for two mains. Think we're gonna do it again next week.

Also said hello to two absolutely brilliant dogs. Sterilised my hands first of course but I couldn't have said no to the excitable overaffectionate fuckers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 19, 2020, 08:18:32 PM
Mr Jam and I went out for a meal at our local tonight. It felt nice and normal and cost £12 for two mains. Think we're gonna do it again next week.

Also said hello to two absolutely brilliant dogs. Sterilised my hands first of course but I couldn't have said no to the excitable overaffectionate fuckers.

With every new post I hold my hands up and look aghast as you edge towards a past that no longer exists.

I suppose this means you can come down for a snooker meet soon?

Blue Jam

Would love to but it still feels like early days in the easing of lockdown here in Scotchland. I'm mainly going to this one pub because they've achieved the perfect balance of keeping everyone safe while keeping things feeling relaxed and nice and normal. It helps that it's a big pub and the tables were already nicely spaced out, plus it's popular for its food so they were used to taking bookings anyway.

I wouldn't dare go to a Wetherspoons now even if they weren't all owned by a cunt. I walked past the one at the entrance of Waverley Station the other day and was a bit relieved to see it was closed, opening that one would be asking for trouble.

Cinemas are opening next week and I want to support my local independent ones but I'm not sure I'd like to take a needless risk just to see a film just yet.

The snooker club is open now and I might give that a go soon, the tables all have to be booked and they're nicely spaced out so it seems fairly safe.

I'd also love to see some live snooker at some point this year but it still feels like booking anything would be a bit of a risk.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah I'm enjoying no longer having to turn up to Tim Martin's bigotry and infection venues largely in order to fulfil peer pressure from friends and work colleagues because 'it's just around the corner' *

*just like 100s of better places are, being a city centre

MrMrs

Cinemas have been open for a while in Scotland. Gyms opening soon. Contact training allowed in September. I'm bloody buzzing.

The Mollusk

Just want to bump the chat about keeping things chilled in the fridge or freezer. My friend keeps all his loose change in a tupperware box in the freezer. "Cold coins" he calls it. If you'd ever felt a handful of ice-cold cash you'd understand his choice without a moment of hesitation. Gonna try and make this a part of the "new normal". Fucking Before Times cunts keeping their spare change at room temperature. No thank you. Cold coins only.

dissolute ocelot

Wednesday night, first drunk puking outside my livingroom window since lockdown started. Luckily it started pissing with rain an hour later. I hope they were still trying to get home. (His girlfriend was very concerned though, she's a keeper.)

El Unicornio, mang

My mate's girlfriend is getting a bit pissy with me and another because we're not sure about traveling down to London in a few weeks for his surprise birthday bash, a weekend of pub crawls basically, which is what they do every weekend anyway. But she doesn't have to sit on public transport wearing a mask for 8 hours round trip for something that isn't really a necessity.

Icehaven

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 21, 2020, 12:56:27 PM
My mate's girlfriend is getting a bit pissy with me and another because we're not sure about traveling down to London in a few weeks for his surprise birthday bash, a weekend of pub crawls basically, which is what they do every weekend anyway. But she doesn't have to sit on public transport wearing a mask for 8 hours round trip for something that isn't really a necessity.

Sack off the surprise element and suggest they come to you, see how keen she is then.

El Unicornio, mang

I thought about suggesting that. She's a bit snobby about the north at the best of times so no chance.

She's been telling us "London is fine, just like back to normal". From what I gather there's varying degrees of covid risk in different boroughs, they're in Dalston, Hackney borough so not sure what the situation is there.