Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Quote from: poodlefaker on June 17, 2020, 10:45:23 AM
The Babbity Bowster's got a garden

Loads of merchant city pubs/bars have some pavement drinking space. Fills up quickly in normal times so fuck knows how busy it will be when they reopen!

Hootenanny by st Enoch has a decent-sized beer garden. The Clutha has a fair few benches. Swg3 is opening a mega beer garden where you can order from the table which looks like it could be neat

But again, I fear it's gonna be a riot so I'm tempted to give it a miss in the opening weeks/months until people calm down a bit

Sheffield Wednesday

I really hope we been spending the last few months building vents 😂😂😂

shiftwork2

Every pub I walk past now has the lights on.  There's some furtive activity occurring in there alright.  Something's...brewing!

Apart from the JD Wetherspoon which has been covered in sufficient metal sheeting to stand a decent chance against a Hydrogen bomb.  And this is on the most benign of streets.

dissolute ocelot

Just thinking that I was so over pubs when this started. All the bars in my neighbourhood over about 5 years went from elderly alcoholics doing karaoke, to cool artsy places with queer club nights and BDSM demonstrations and knitting circles, then after 9 months turned into shitty gastropubs full of actual YUPPIES. In 20 fucking 20. It's like the Dagmar, the EastEnders Wine Bar, but gin and without the quirky murderers.

Drinking in graveyards never gets old.

royce coolidge

My chef mate tells me he's got the word to start back July 4th.
Seems the industry has decided on that date.

Janie Jones

Pubs near me are open for regulars. Only difference is that people sit outside in the beer garden or terrace (not visible from the street) and are, if challenged, 'having a drink while waiting for takeaway food and drink they've ordered'. But they're there for hours, it's like a secret drinking club. Police turn a blind eye, they have a good relationship with the landlords.

Chedney Honks

Should shop the cunts in, literally killing people in front of your eyes hahaha

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 17, 2020, 11:06:22 PM
you're Brum-based, iirc.

The guys that are often outside the RVT are shameless with it. Police in the JQ are turning the blindest of eyes to drinking in any of the public spaces.

Might take some booze to the beautiful graveyard before I have to go back to work then, always fancied getting pissed in the those catacomb-ish things there.

Fambo Number Mive

Oakland Inns founder says he will reopen pubs on 4th July even if the government does not give permission:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53094134

Says they will go bust otherwise.

Never heard of Oakland Inns before.

In Florida, a group of16 friends went to the bar for a night out and all got coronavirus. There's no way people will respect social distancing around alcohol and how feasible would rationing alcohol be? Pubs,especially good pubs, are fucked.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In Florida everyone is 5016 years old apart from Adolf Disney himself, who is a little older.

Rev+

Opening the gardens and just having table service out there would be fine if we weren't talking about pubs.  Venues in which people get arseholed.  Early afternoon it'll be vaguely well-behaved but a after few drinks the rules will be shredded.  How do you even have a socially-distant punch up?

Icehaven

Also this is Britain, and it rains. While we may have been fooled by the pisstakingly good weather in April and May normal service has resumed in the last week or so, and there's no way everyone's going to dutifully stay outside getting drenched when there's a perfectly good pub right there.

Sebastian Cobb

The local round my way was open but being painted today. Not sure if they were letting people in for a sly one / in the beer garden or not.

The signs up saying the booze had been removed from the premises and the puggies emptied remained, though.

Head Gardener

Sebastian Cobb

I can never understand why people do that. The whole point of a pub is someone else is doing the work, its also neutral territory, you can see your mates but you're not their guest, you can leave when you want or stay longer etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I agree there is something unbearably smug but also small fry about the 'home pub'. A grand point missing exercise really.

That said, I've shared it on @[SPAM] so cheers

Sebastian Cobb

I imagine for the people that do it, it's about cosplaying as an idyllic landlord without any of the financial risk or hassle. Just pretending to be Oscar Blaketon in Heartbeat in charge of a few patrons, who are ostensibly friends. Invitation only.

Cold Meat Platter

Cask ale goes off in about a week, I think, so they must be really going at it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on June 19, 2020, 09:13:50 PM
Cask ale goes off in about a week, I think, so they must be really going at it.

I'm going to guess those taps are mostly decorative. Maybe a small local keg (not a full size keg) or some homebrew on one of them.

Icehaven

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 19, 2020, 06:02:35 PM

Family Guy fans? Or is calling a bar "The Drunken(some kind of sealife)" a real thing?

imitationleather

In a way it is quite impressive. I mean, it does fit perfectly with their crap Barratt estate.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Been in smaller pubs and ones less infected by finality AIDS biowaste too.

Sebastian Cobb

i thought i had a pub until i pissed through it

ollyboro

I bet the idea for the back garden pub came from the wife. Before the lockdown, the only way she could get fucked was by sending him down the pub and letting Brendon from the traveller site in through the back door. Now whilst he's sat as smug as a cunt in his cunt's pub, Brendon's sack deep a couple of yards away and definitely not stealing.

gib

Quote from: imitationleather on June 19, 2020, 11:04:22 PM
In a way it is quite impressive. I mean, it does fit perfectly with their crap Barratt estate.

The floor looks nice.

Anyway, i say bring on the reopening of real pubs so Shoulders can spread the second wave like you and your raving ilk spread the first, get covid done.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: gib on June 19, 2020, 11:49:37 PM
The floor looks nice.

Anyway, i say bring on the reopening of real pubs so Shoulders can spread the second wave like you and your raving ilk spread the first, get covid done.

You do not own the avatar appropriate for this post.

Head Gardener

everyone who ever goes in there will spend most of the time talking about how great it is to be in there

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: icehaven on June 18, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
Might take some booze to the beautiful graveyard before I have to go back to work then, always fancied getting pissed in the those catacomb-ish things there.

Yes, some great spots in there.

Sat one evening on the hill just to the side, looking out east north east as the sun set. Lovely.

bgmnts

Is there a way to get stats to see if alcohol related deaths have decreased during covid?