Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,199
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:33:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: mr. logic on October 18, 2020, 03:30:55 PM
dogs

Yeah, well I've made a new fren now. She's an absolutely beautiful but somewhat daft Golden Retriever. When I enter the pub she runs up to me for hugs and if I stop paying attention to her she does a pathetic little whine. I like to boop her snoot, she's the goodest doggo.

I bet you're the owner of a stonky cade, aren't you?

;)

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates used to have a beautiful Belgian Shepard (kind of like an Alsatian but with a fluffier coat) who was a right madam, if you started petting her she'd slap you with her massive paws when you stopped.

Cloud

Edit: ^ a guy comes in with a pair of whippets, one of them is like that.  Hops up onto the seat beside you and will NOT let you stop petting her.  Just looks up at you and nudges your hand with her snoot until you continue. Bloody slave driver :)

--

Spoons has great bogs. Proper dividing walls between the urinals which is great for me as I have shy bladder syndrome and this saves me either using a cubicle or standing there for 10 minutes trying to have a piss.

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2020, 02:02:45 PM
Awww *hugs*. My favourite pub's doggo died during lockdown. She was a Cavalier King Charles spangle, one of the black and tan ones with ginger eyebrows that make them look really sassy. She was an absolute legend, very very affectionate but you wouldn't dare nick her seat. She was nicknamed "Her Majesty" for good reason.

Another pub doggo from the same pub died a couple of weeks back. He was a Heinz 57 and a lovely gentle giant but also black and tan with ginger eyebrows, very expressive face.

We've lost both of the eyebrow doggos :'(

Aww bless them and their brows. *return hug*
Most animals have such short lives but some hecking character.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 18, 2020, 03:36:34 PM
Yeah, well I've made a new fren now. She's an absolutely beautiful but somewhat daft Golden Retriever. When I enter the pub she runs up to me for hugs and if I stop paying attention to her she does a pathetic little whine. I like to boop her snoot, she's the goodest doggo.

I bet you're the owner of a stonky cade, aren't you?

;)

Are you now touching dogs again?

RIP Covid dogs.

canadagoose

Aww, sorry to hear about the spaniel, Blue Jam - glad you've made a new "fren" though!

Norton Canes

So I guess there's a lot of this sort of thing going on:

Here's our Tier 3 treat for you
Starting this Friday, you can Eat Out to Drink Out all day Monday to Friday.
Pair one of our Bier Food items, a slightly lighter version of some of our classic dishes, with a drink for just Twelve Pounds.
Fancy a second drink? That'll be Sixteen Pounds or enjoy a meal and three drinks for Twenty Pounds.

bgmnts

Quote from: ChurchillNever waste a good crisis.

poodlefaker

I've heard it's still permitted to mix with other households in pubs & restaurants if it's for business rather than pleasure - some  London restaurants are advertising this: have your "working lunch" with us.

Fambo Number Mive

Is the thinking behind pubs only being able to serve alcohol if they are serving a meal to reduce the chance of people getting drunk and not social distancing?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 22, 2020, 10:01:49 AM
Is the thinking behind pubs only being able to serve alcohol if they are serving a meal to reduce the chance of people getting drunk and not social distancing?

Most probably because the margins for booze are so small that food is the only viable way of making anything.

JaDanketies

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 18, 2020, 02:12:36 PM
One of my favourite ever birthday presents was from an ex-girlfriend who nicked the disabled toilet key from our local 'spoons which grants me access to all disabled toilets in the country.

You can just buy them over the internet. They're like £5. Google 'buy radar key for disabled toilets UK'. They don't even ask if you're disabled.

olliebean

It's difficult not to suspect the thinking behind it is nothing more complicated than Tim Martin wanted a loophole.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This was the rule in Ireland during the first lockdown for a whike, I believe they even had a minimum spend on food as a way of ensuring it was substantial.

Cloud

One of my closest friends is a wheelchair user and can you please not abuse the radar key system.  His life is hard enough as it is, and it's enough of a pain already when the disabled loo turns out to have been turned into a makeshift store cupboard, never mind when someone who doesn't need it has decided they fancy using it.  Some disabilities come with very little warning when the loo is needed.  Yes I'm white knighting a bit, but muggins here has to push.  Ta.

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 22, 2020, 12:23:15 PM
This was the rule in Ireland during the first lockdown for a whike, I believe they even had a minimum spend on food as a way of ensuring it was substantial.

Who decides if it's substantial in England? More than a packet of crisps, I assume, but what about a packet of crisps and a sandwich? Is it just up to the discretion of the individual pubs?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cloud on October 18, 2020, 03:48:40 PM
Spoons has great bogs. Proper dividing walls between the urinals which is great for me as I have shy bladder syndrome and this saves me either using a cubicle or standing there for 10 minutes trying to have a piss.

Don't understand why urinal dividers aren't standard.  We have the advantage of being able to direct our streams outward but apparently this comes at the cost of having to do it in front of each other?

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 22, 2020, 02:17:50 PM
Don't understand why urinal dividers aren't standard.  We have the advantage of being able to direct our streams outward but apparently this comes at the cost of having to do it in front of each other?

The patriarchy hurts men, too. Maybe nobody wants to be the first person to say "I don't feel comfortable pissing in front of other men."

It used to be a real issue for me back in the day. I think I've got past it a little bit.

There was an episode of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe about this issue and iirc it's how he started a relationship with Konnie Huq.

Sebastian Cobb

Dividers don't really bother me, but those portable festival jobs that they align back to back so you're eye-to-eye with someone else can be challenging.

I can see urinals slowly becoming a thing of the past what with modern disabled/gender neutral friendly ways being for the toilets to be a door that opens into a hallway with individual cubicles, often with inbuilt sinks.

Although they'll perhaps provide a pissroom with urinals at high traffic areas just for expediency.

Blue Jam

The female urinal never took off despite many attempts to make it work. Maybe people realised that the answer to urinary equality isn't more urinals, it's more cubicles.

One of my little pleasures in life was going to a pub at the weekend and sitting with a pint and all the newspaper supplements. Pubs aren't going to be doing newspapers again anytime soon are they? The Guardian and The Times will be fucked.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 22, 2020, 03:34:42 PM
The female urinal never took off despite many attempts to make it work. Maybe people realised that the answer to urinary equality isn't more urinals, it's more cubicles.

There isn't usually unlimited space. I was at a festival once that had a shitload of portaloos and a towable portakabin with about 20 urinals that occupied the space of about 4 portaloos. This meant the men reduced congestion on the bogs the women were queuing for and as they take less time also had a faster moving queue themselves.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 22, 2020, 07:49:30 PM
There isn't usually unlimited space. I was at a festival once that had a shitload of portaloos and a towable portakabin with about 20 urinals that occupied the space of about 4 portaloos. This meant the men reduced congestion on the bogs the women were queuing for and as they take less time also had a faster moving queue themselves.

Sebastian Cobb

Some of the ones in Bestival were like that. You were to take in a shovel of bark to cover the tods up.

Dayraven

I think some of the reason might be that, if you want to close pubs but not restaurants, you run into a lack of a clear divide between a pub that serves food and a restaurant that serves drinks,

olliebean

Quote from: Dayraven on October 24, 2020, 01:06:02 PM
I think some of the reason might be that, if you want to close pubs but not restaurants, you run into a lack of a clear divide between a pub that serves food and a restaurant that serves drinks,

So you solve that by introducing a requirement that the food served must be "substantial" - a word considerably open to interpretation - and thus replacing a lack of clear divide when categorising establishments with a lack of clear divide when categorising every single meal ordered at those establishments?

Blue Jam

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 24, 2020, 07:27:56 PM
I really want to go to the pub now :(

Was in the pub yesterday, frankly brilliant tbh, beer was tapped from kegs and brought to you, was warm and had cosy seats, other people were around and you could talk to them or just settle into the background hubbub. Will definitely be back to a pub again soon, cheers.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 25, 2020, 06:43:46 PM
Was in the pub yesterday, frankly brilliant tbh, beer was tapped from kegs and brought to you, was warm and had cosy seats, other people were around and you could talk to them or just settle into the background hubbub. Will definitely be back to a pub again soon, cheers.

Carry on.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 25, 2020, 06:43:46 PM
Was in the pub yesterday, frankly brilliant tbh, beer was tapped from kegs and brought to you, was warm and had cosy seats, other people were around and you could talk to them or just settle into the background hubbub.

Any cute doggos in?

jobotic

So why can't pubs sell take away booze this time?

So they go out of business and Tim Martin gets even richer?

Catalogue Trousers

Hang on, is that official? Got a source for it? Because if so, then why's it happened?