Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:56:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs seem to think they're re-opening

Started by Rev+, June 13, 2020, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 19, 2020, 06:09:28 PM
I can never understand why people do that. The whole point of a pub is someone else is doing the work, its also neutral territory, you can see your mates but you're not their guest, you can leave when you want or stay longer etc.

So.

After the second relaxation, we have turned the ground floor flat out of the group of mates into a TV 'pub'. TV sat in window, windows open, seating out in front. 5 people maximum, and we've stuck to distancing.

But the mate whose flat it is?

Knackered.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on June 23, 2020, 09:07:19 PM
Is there a way to get stats to see if alcohol related deaths have decreased during covid?

Carry out a series of surveys and collate the data, I guess.

bomb_dog

The Culture Bunker

Bar manager of my local has said he's opening up on the 4th, but it's limited to 16 people capacity. Hardly seems like they can cover the costs with such a low number.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on June 23, 2020, 09:07:19 PM
Is there a way to get stats to see if alcohol related deaths have decreased during covid?
FoI the ONS is your best bet, for England or Wales (or both).

I imagine they'll do a report on this sort of thing sooner rather than later.

One problem is that a bunch of drink, drug and violence-related deaths will take a while to work through coroners.

(People with access to more data can do some stuff to workaround that in the meantime, e.g.: look for deaths amongst people who you know had severe drink or drug problems from A&E attendances and admissions, but whose cause of death has not yet been officially determined yet.)

BlodwynPig

Richmond council have had to ban drink AND drugs from being consumed at a local beauty spot.

Head Gardener

Cloud

jobotic

Hang on, can you be in the pub? I thought it was just gardens.

Fuck that.

Cloud

Yep.  Table service only so no barflies, which is something but strikes me as very very unwise indeed
If it was just gardens I'd be pretty much "arsed mate, pint"

That's why I find it so frustrating, all it takes to do it responsibly is spend 2 weeks with "beer garden only" and see how it goes.  Instead we have instant "fuck it, fling the doors open"

Captain Crunch

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 26, 2020, 08:27:54 AM
From a local(ish) pub:

that's a terribly cramped pub to be opening anyway, can't see them opening until a vaccine. Imagine the Crown Posada - that surely is doomed.

BlodwynPig

Crown Posada, Newcastle - the oldest pub in the City - one entrance

Butchers Blind

Its fine.  Everyone knows you can't get Covid if you're drunk.

SteveDave

I saw the Camden Head in Angel having a delivery this morning. They've got a bit of a beer garden and two doors (one of which opens onto a narrow lane) so it might work there?

I presume the second wave will have everything shut down til Christmas though?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SteveDave on June 26, 2020, 09:57:01 AM
I saw the Camden Head in Angel having a delivery this morning. They've got a bit of a beer garden and two doors (one of which opens onto a narrow lane) so it might work there?

I presume the second wave will have everything shut down til Christmas though?

My thought. lockdown as deaths rise significantly. Boris says "we're not going to ruin the Christmas party season though" and opens up again too soon in early December.

Pink Gregory

Pub near me has started doing takeaway off sales again, fairly sure they wouldn't have bought any in since April...

Are they selling 4 month old beer for £1.50 a pint?

Danger Man

If it's keg it will be fine to drink.

If it's cask it will have turned to vinegar months ago.

Pink Gregory

Admittedly it is lager.  That's alright then.

DrGreggles

Been added to a Whatsapp group offering me the chance to go to a local pub tomorrow for 'an event' (which sounds suspiciously like the pub re-opening a week early).
It's a shit pub though and, if half of those contacted show up, it'll be over capacity.

So would it be more cunty of me to go or to report them?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 26, 2020, 01:51:17 PM
Been added to a Whatsapp group offering me the chance to go to a local pub tomorrow for 'an event' (which sounds suspiciously like the pub re-opening a week early).
It's a shit pub though and, if half of those contacted show up, it'll be over capacity.

So would it be more cunty of me to go or to report them?

Sounds like they want people to drink all their stale ale before opening proper.  Give it a swerve.

Cloud

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2020, 10:22:09 AM
My thought. lockdown as deaths rise significantly. Boris says "we're not going to ruin the Christmas party season though" and opens up again too soon in early December.

This is exactly what will happen if the second wave is around September (when the schools are back).  Couple of months of lockdown then opening too early to avoid missing out on the all important Christmas season and the billions it makes for the economy

If the second wave is in late July due to pubs and other cramped indoor spaces then we should be out of lockdown again before then and worrying about triggering the third wave through shopping and parties...

DrGreggles

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 26, 2020, 02:01:07 PM
Report them.

Not sure how to report them, to be honest.
"Hello Police, could you put me through to your naughty pub department please?"

I just posted 'No thanks. Seems like an excuse to flog stale beer before next week. Not sure pubs will be worth visiting for a while anyway. Social distancing and all that. Stay safe.' and left the group.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What about lone drinkers? You know, people who like nothing more than having a few pints , and a read of the paper/ " Mojo" magazine/ an engrossing book/ " Cook'dandBomb'd " on their phone / The Fully Illustrated " Killing Eve" Scripts on their own? Is the activity of these individuals to be frowned upon, even disallowed?

Is *anyone* on 'ere planning to go to the pub next week, anyways? Haven't most folk got used to life without 'em? Waiting 'til Chrimbo to open them seems the best bet.

idunnosomename

i hope everyone remembers you arent allowed to go in wetherspoons

bomb_dog

Go before you get there then, and don't break the seal til you've left.