Author Topic: Pubs seem to think they're re-opening  (Read 21808 times)

Re: Pubs seem to think they're re-opening
« Reply #480 on: July 27, 2020, 10:41:23 AM »
Wouldn't say that's panic stations but it's a question of whether it starts getting steep in the coming week or two when the initial infections would've started spreading out

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #481 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:26 AM »
Just booked a table for some drinks in a two and a half weeks time! Hope the world is not on fire by then

« Reply #482 on: July 27, 2020, 12:29:10 PM »
While many social things are still outdoors, it seems to have less impact which makes sense given what we now know about the effects of airborne transmission. Numbers are creeping up though, and as we've also seen previously, growth becomes quite quickly exponential (almost every country has reported this).

We can see where localised spikes have arisen in Germany, Spain, Italy, South Korea, Hong Kong, Vietnam et al that nightlife/social spaces are the direct cause in the majority of cases.

I don't see how we can do anything more about that if we want the hospitality industry to survive. On the flipside, more people will die. That's the crux.

GoblinAhFuckScary

• Feeble birds fly out gob
« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2020, 03:43:31 PM »
'Bout to do me first pub since Feb.

Honestly more worried about using the bathrooms than thee virus tbh.

« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
So I don't need a facemask for the pub, but I need one to goto a shop, whats the fucking point?

GoblinAhFuckScary

« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2020, 05:41:44 PM »
Report:

Pub was nice.

However, for the latter half I had two middle-aged, middle-class blokes going onnnnnnn and onnnnn at me about Germaine Greer and why communism is bad. Totally forgot that pubs are inhabited by such denizens.

« Reply #486 on: July 28, 2020, 10:05:56 PM »
Who the fuck talks about old feminists and communism at the pub?

« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
Maybe GoblinAhFuckScary sat down with them, uninvited, and said "Evening gents. Good to be back in the old boozer eh? Tell you what else is good - old feminists and communism. What say you?"

GoblinAhFuckScary

« Reply #488 on: July 28, 2020, 11:25:33 PM »
Such denizens meaning men who just NEED to share their very well thought-out opinions in increasingly incoherent fashion.

I think in my town, men with strong opinions on said subjects is not entirely unusual.

"IF YA BEEN TO CAMBODIA MATE YOU'D KNOW WHAT YER ON ABOUT"

« Reply #489 on: July 29, 2020, 12:48:06 AM »
The pub being a talking place for conservatives is definitely not unusual here.

We do have a very vocal leftie as well though.

« Reply #490 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
Been to a pub a few times now and I've actually quite enjoyed it.
Being in a small group of people, chatting and drinking - it's like a Zoom call, but in person!

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #491 on: July 29, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »
Been to a pub a few times now and I've actually quite enjoyed it.
Being in a small group of people, chatting and drinking - it's like a Zoom call, but in person!

With added risk of a tortuous death...and that is not considering the increased risk of catching the virus

« Reply #492 on: July 29, 2020, 02:13:01 PM »
Not really. Including bar staff there were no more than 15 people, all outside, all socially distanced.

« Reply #493 on: July 29, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »
Can't be arsed, would much rather sit in a field with some cans

GoblinAhFuckScary

« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2020, 06:22:00 PM »
Can't be arsed, would much rather sit in a field with some cans

tbh yeah

« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2020, 06:39:27 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53586133/coronavirus-packed-beer-garden-at-stone-outbreak-pub

Well, here we go...

Seem to remember massive new spikes being started in areas of China over situations like this...

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #496 on: August 01, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
Looks like pubs could be closing again soon to encourage schools to reopen. Not sure if closing pubs will be enough to mitigate the likely rise in cases caused by opening schools. Surely they will need to actually enforce face mask wearing at some point?

Blue Jam

• I WANNA GO MAKE SOME SPERM!
« Reply #497 on: August 01, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
Oh fuck, does this mean loads of peeps will be coming up here to drink in our nice Scottish pubs and give us their dirty English germs?

I'm gonna throw a bottle of Coke at Nigel Farage if he tries any of that shit with us.

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #498 on: August 01, 2020, 04:57:24 PM »
Looks like pubs could be closing again soon to encourage schools to reopen. Not sure if closing pubs will be enough to mitigate the likely rise in cases caused by opening schools. Surely they will need to actually enforce face mask wearing at some point?

An unofficial comment by a SAGE man that the papers have made gospel.

How do you get real news at the moment?  I've all but given up on it.

« Reply #499 on: August 01, 2020, 09:56:44 PM »
It's a fair proposal, mind.  I'm more worried about kids being brought up to fear being within 2m of each other and taught over Zoom calls than us missing out on the pub. We managed without it before.

batwings

• Timewaster seeks same. No timewasters please.
« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-53586133/coronavirus-packed-beer-garden-at-stone-outbreak-pub

Well, here we go...

Seem to remember massive new spikes being started in areas of China over situations like this...

“ One person who tested positive after being at the pub also held a private gathering, causing a further spread, Staffordshire County Council said.
The BBC has approached the Crown and Anchor for comment.”

BBC being a bit judgmental with its rhyming slang there.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #501 on: August 01, 2020, 11:11:50 PM »
Do you think they’ll get a comment and follow up on the story?

Uncle TechTip

• You won, get over it
« Reply #502 on: August 01, 2020, 11:32:17 PM »
It's shorthand for we called them or sent a Facebook message, but they didn't answer.

Catalogue Trousers

• With tremendous protein value
« Reply #503 on: August 02, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »
BECAUSE THEY WERE ALREADY DEAD AAAAAAHHHHH

« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
First pub since March last night. Wish I'd picked a better one. We sat in the garden but no table service, no taking names and people standing at the bar.

Worse was the train (I didn't get a train JUST to go the pub). First train journey since February. Almost no one under thirty had a mask on and there was no one to enforce it. Not to mention blokes even older than me giving it the "come on then, challenge me" approach.

Fucks sake.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #505 on: August 02, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »
Interesting. I've taken several train journeys with two or three legs each, so maybe a dozen separate journeys, and I haven't seen a single person without a mask

« Reply #506 on: August 02, 2020, 01:43:28 PM »
Interesting. I've taken several train journeys with two or three legs each, so maybe a dozen separate journeys, and I haven't seen a single person without a mask

I swear! Maybe it's where I live or the time of day. Lot of people in Arsenal or Chelsea shirts yesterday, don't know where they were going. Pubs couldn't show it?

BlodwynPig

« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
I swear! Maybe it's where I live or the time of day. Lot of people in Arsenal or Chelsea shirts yesterday, don't know where they were going. Pubs couldn't show it?

They're breaking the law. Citizens arrest. DO IT

The Mollusk

• I spoke with fervour, embracing the evening
« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
I begrudgingly went out to Camden last night for a friend’s birthday (a pub and a restaurant) and the distancing measures might as well have not existed at all. It would be laughable if it weren’t actually horrifying.

Blue Jam

• I WANNA GO MAKE SOME SPERM!
« Reply #509 on: August 02, 2020, 11:15:41 PM »
Went to the pub this afternoon for a friend's birthday. It was all pretty quiet and civilised and the pub, while perfectly suited to The New Normal with its spaced-out tables, was half-empty.

Pubs in Scotchland have been able to open since the 15th of July but most of the ones round here are still closed, and the ones which have opened haven't had a Mad Friday-style stampede. People are behaving themselves up here.

Tags: