Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:18:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's programmes you watched as a child that still hold up

Started by beanheadmcginty, June 14, 2020, 01:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: Spode on June 14, 2020, 12:22:04 PM
Round the twist was fantastic.  One of the all time great theme tunes and brilliant stories. On revisiting it though, I had managed to somehow mix up all the actors from the first two series into different combinations. Not helped by the fact that the two actors who play Linda look identical.

Red-haired Bronson, original Gribble/Tiger, original Pete, either Linda being the best lineup, obviously.

Original Linda is best by virtue of having sung the all time great theme tune.

Malcy

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 14, 2020, 01:55:40 AM

Saw Children of the Stones for the first time ever a few weeks ago and was enthralled.  I missed it on first broadcast as I was in big school by then and didn't get home in time.

Watches this a couple of years ago in learning Freddie Jones was in it and thought it was great. Also, Timeslip has been resurrected, original cast and all, for a new Big Finish Audio play series.

There's so many things I watched as a child and even kids tv well into my late teens and beyond that I still get a kick from. Chucklevision, Come Outside, Gargoyles to name a few but I can wholeheartedly recommend blazing up a big solid and going through YouTube for episodes of Playdays, Bitsa, and so many other you willl come across.

Anyone know where I can watch Spatz, The Wild House and The Queen's Bise in decent quality these days?

Must also check out that new Demon Headmaster  watched the original not too long ago and was surprised how much if it I remembered. Made a big impression at the time.

Malcy

Quote from: Spode on June 14, 2020, 12:22:04 PM
Round the twist was fantastic.  One of the all time great theme tunes and brilliant stories. On revisiting it though, I had managed to somehow mix up all the actors from the first two series into different combinations. Not helped by the fact that the two actors who play Linda look identical.

Red-haired Bronson, original Gribble/Tiger, original Pete, either Linda being the best lineup, obviously.

Came across it on Prime recently and apart from the theme tune found nothing recognisable. I don't think I missed an eoiin broadcast.

Anyone remember Spellbound or Spellbinder? Something like that? I was in hospital when the last episode was broadcast and a bunch of rough as fuck arseholes took the remote and put in the news and complained about whatever was going on at the time.

I got wheeled off and never knew what happened in the end. Got transported to another dimension while using a zipwire I think.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Malcy on June 14, 2020, 10:05:36 PM
Anyone remember Spellbound or Spellbinder? Something like that? I was in hospital when the last episode was broadcast and a bunch of rough as fuck arseholes took the remote and put in the news and complained about whatever was going on at the time.

I got wheeled off and never knew what happened in the end. Got transported to another dimension while using a zipwire I think.

Pretty much - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellbinder_(TV_series).

beanheadmcginty

That American (or possibly Canadian) boss woman in Spatz was one of my earliest fancies.

Malcy

Spatz is on YT. Last time i looked i didnt see it and refuse to believe it was 7 years ago before these were posted!

What was the ITV one that had a talking bird in it? I can picture the house but not the specifics.

Urinal Cake

Australian children's tv used to be really really good. Now it seems like flash animation and sub-iCarly shite.

Shaky

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 14, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
By all accounts the other seasons (which aired on Saturday morning rather than Syndication, and were subject to much stricter restrictions) are nowhere near as good, so you may want to quit while you're ahead, although I'm sure there are some good episodes. I do think the cartoon is a big and often overlooked reason Ghostbusters looms so much larger in our cultural consciousness than, say, Beverly Hills Cop.

Yeah, their reputation precedes them. We watched one later ep and it was a massive drop in every way. The kids still liked it but what the hell do they know?

I'm always baffled as to why they replaced the mighty Lorenzo Music as Venkman. I know Bill Murray complained that Music didn't sound anything like him, but he's far superior to his replacement Dave Coulier (who sounds even less like Murray, to my ears).

petril

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 14, 2020, 11:53:36 PM
Australian children's tv used to be really really good. Now it seems like flash animation and sub-iCarly shite.

you could always set your watch by CBBC, you knew it was the middle four months of the year because it felt like wall to wall Australiana

Quote from: Malcy on June 14, 2020, 10:00:54 PM

Anyone know where I can watch Spatz, The Wild House and The Queen's Bise in decent quality these days?

This channel has been uploading episodes, https://www.youtube.com/user/VideotapeFTW/videos

As well as loads of cool 80's/90's childrens stuff.

This channel is also great https://www.youtube.com/user/lisaglitters/videos

Lots of Rainbow and Sooty.

Malcy

https://youtube.com/channel/UC1sWCXOLWDnWBOQddSb1Hnw

Had this one in my subscriptions for a while but don't think I ever really used it.

Old BBC VHS's of Rainbow, Sooty, Postman Pat etc.

dr beat

The Sooty Show holds up really well, in fact its hilarious and maybe worth a thread of its own in Comedy Chat.

Dead Soon

Quote from: dr beat on June 15, 2020, 03:59:35 PM
The Sooty Show holds up really well, in fact its hilarious and maybe worth a thread of its own in Comedy Chat.

Yes, my family concur with this point and they definitely don't otherwise generally gun for childhood revisiting/nostalgia, so must be real credence to it. Think Matt Corbs is on record for stating that he intended to make it more than watchable for parents - and for himself.

bomb_dog

Tons of great bits in 'The Sooty Show'

-Stood outside a stately home, Matthew telling Sooty and Sweep, 'don't touch the cannons, they might go off'
-Matthew tripping over (unseen) things, turning and saying 'sorry, sorry!'
-Sweep ripping the whole shower cubicle out of their bathroom and taking it down to the kitchen
-Sweep telling Matthew he was 'going to have a nervous breakdown'
-Sweep falling through the loft ceiling and his little legs wiggling through the plaster

Come to think of it, most good scenes are due to Sweep.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bomb_dog on June 15, 2020, 09:04:25 PM
Tons of great bits in 'The Sooty Show'

-Stood outside a stately home, Matthew telling Sooty and Sweep, 'don't touch the cannons, they might go off'
-Matthew tripping over (unseen) things, turning and saying 'sorry, sorry!'
-Sweep ripping the whole shower cubicle out of their bathroom and taking it down to the kitchen
-Sweep falling through the loft ceiling and his little legs wiggling through the plaster

Come to think of it, most good scenes are due to Sweep.

The one with Sweep's extended family is the best.

Dead Soon

Fantastic scene in the Scampi introductory episode when Sooty's dickhead cousin is being offered a choice of cereals by Matthew, represented by tiny boxes like in supermarket multi-packs, and responds to these suggestions by petulantly flicking them forwards and off the set - except for the one or two that he doesn't get enough power on which leads to Matthew picking them up and lobbing the boxes wildly behind him for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Some of the cereal names are fantastic too.

https://youtu.be/wz6XX0d6c6k?t=377

non capisco

Quote from: bomb_dog on June 15, 2020, 09:04:25 PM

Just the description of that made me laugh out loud. Sweep fuggin rules, man.

Water Margin was 9.40 pm BBC2, 1976. 9.30pm BBC2, 1977.

1976 it was shown after The Goodies. 1977 after Ripping Yarns

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1977-10-11

Miriam Margolyes dubbed some of the characters.

Ambient Sheep

Thank you, I thought I was going mad when I read part of this thread, 'cos I always thought it to be an adults thing.

Yes. If you compare Water Margin and Monkey, there's a clear difference in the age group they are aimed at. Water Margin could be quite violent so was after the watershed.

Psmith

The Clangers. Although I hadn't been a child for quite some time when they first appeared.
The new ones seem a bit Disneyfied but still ok.

Brundle-Fly

One last word on The Water Margin. I always used to think the theme tune was going to morph into The James Bond Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVRMBWGBqw

Dannyhood91

Ed Edd & Eddy and Cow & Chicken are still hilariously demented

Brundle-Fly

I'd also add Pinky And The Brain but I was pushing thirty when it first aired.

Tony Tony Tony

The omission of Dangermouse thus far in this thread should raise eyebrows...

Edit: BTW I mean the original David Jason/Terry Scott one not the reboot with him from Pointless

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 16, 2020, 11:56:03 AM
BTW I mean the original David Jason/Terry Scott one not the reboot with him from Pointless

The reboot (also featuring The Actor Kevin Eldon) is actually pretty good.
Not up to the heights of the original, but still great fun.

Replies From View

Quote from: Psmith on June 16, 2020, 02:48:11 AM
The Clangers. Although I hadn't been a child for quite some time when they first appeared.

Are you 90 years old?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 14, 2020, 01:43:49 PM
The stars shi-i-i-ine
Is that Sky? I loved Sky, so I did. That 'n Children Of The Stones scared the breakfast out of me when I was a nipper.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 14, 2020, 11:19:51 AM
I watched The Water Margins when it first aired in the UK during the 70s, and I was pleased how well it held up when Granada + aired it again in the mid 90s.
This was great, too. Yes.

Artie Fufkin

I also loved watching Roger And The Rotten Trolls on a Sunday morning with a stinking hangover.