Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's programmes you watched as a child that still hold up

Started by beanheadmcginty, June 14, 2020, 01:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 14, 2020, 01:43:49 PM
The stars shi-i-i-ine,

I am unable to hear this as anything other than an Oasis croon.  Though to be fair if you had meant "sheeeiiiiiiiieeeeeyyyuuuuuurrrrrnn" you would have written it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Replies From View on June 16, 2020, 01:00:15 PM
I am unable to hear this as anything other than an Oasis croon.  Though to be fair if you had meant "sheeeiiiiiiiieeeeeyyyuuuuuurrrrrnn" you would have written it.

Liam came to mind when I wrote that, but I just relistened to the Pete & Pete theme and he's definitely not saying the word shine.  It sounds more like..."The store's bah!"  Here, listen to this and tell me what you think the bloke's saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclBpM6Pn4k

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 16, 2020, 03:26:46 PM
Liam came to mind when I wrote that, but I just relistened to the Pete & Pete theme and he's definitely not saying the word shine.  It sounds more like..."The store's bah!"  Here, listen to this and tell me what you think the bloke's saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lclBpM6Pn4k
This hasn't answered my question. Me! Me! Me! Answer me!
Oh. It has, actually....*embarrassed smirk*

Sin Agog

Sorry, I forgot to turn off my over-50s filter and must have missed it.  Ooh, I remember seeing Stewart Lee name-drop Sky once when he was chatting about strange kids programs.  And The Owl Service from a few years earlier is another one I really ought to watch 'n' all.

Started Timeslip after Ambient's post, and I love how unslick it all is.  All these programs keep in so many flubbed lines, and I dig them all the more for it.  Even spotted a bogie about ten minutes into the third or fourth episode of Timeslip.

Phil_A

It's "Does your dog bite?"

Replies From View

"There's no reason why
No no reason why
There's no reason why you keep...

...Hurting me"

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I had a hearty chuckle watching the first episode of Maid Marian and Her Merry Men the other day. Nearly three decades on, it could easily have seemed like a lame version of Blackadder, but it was a delight.

Sin Agog

It's pancake day. Yes it's pancake day. It's p-p-p-p-p-p-pancake day!

I remember Marian being one of those programs that were used in lieu of actual lessons at school. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Sin Agog

In terms of post-Postgate style animations, the Moomins stop-motion is still sublime.  Genuinely terrifying at points, with another weird electronic soundtrack (why is it kids got so much experimental media, while the grown-ups get costume dramas?).

I've got the '80s Wind in the Willows stop-motion starring David Jason as Toad somewhere, and I think I like it.  The character design models are amazingly intricate- they really look like little woodland creatures, with every hair and bump present and accounted for.  I might have to dig into a few more episodes (there were a lot), as pastoral hijinx weren't quite as much my thing back then as they are now.

Mister Six

Quote from: FredNurke on June 14, 2020, 11:02:59 AM
Mysterious Cities of Gold is still wonderful today, and the first sequel series (from 2012, and by the same creative team) holds up as well. There's a third series, but I still haven't seen it.

Coo, I didn't know there was a sequel!

JesusAndYourBush

"Don't you talk bad... it's in me" ?

Marner and Me

Programmes I remember

Microsoap
The Riddlers
Wizadora
Grotbag

How well these hold up I don't know.

holyzombiejesus

The Owl Service is a great one although unsure about the way the camera purrs over Gillian Hills' bikini-clad body. She was mid-twenties when it was filmed but playing a teenager.

paruses

There are a few bits with Melody in The Queen's Nose that I think are a little gratuitous. That might be too harsh a word or maybe I am in the wrong thinking like that. I will hand myself into the police just in case. Best to be careful.

I'm just saying look at the YouTube comments.

Quote from: notjosh on June 14, 2020, 08:30:44 AM
This made a big impresion on me, especially as I grew up near Richmond so already knew the drummer boy story. The author of the book used to drop in often at local schools, and apparently used to invite kids back to his house. You can probably guess the rest, unfortunately.

I too grew up near Richmond but I don't think he ever visited us at Richmond School while I was there thankfully. Never seen Earthfasts though, think I was a bit old for it when it aired.

Malcy

Quote from: paruses on June 27, 2020, 03:12:17 PM
There are a few bits with Melody in The Queen's Nose that I think are a little gratuitous. That might be too harsh a word or maybe I am in the wrong thinking like that. I will hand myself into the police just in case. Best to be careful.

I'm just saying look at the YouTube comments.

Soaking wet T-shirt comes to mind.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 17, 2020, 02:17:24 PM
It's pancake day. Yes it's pancake day. It's p-p-p-p-p-p-pancake day!

I've posted that video on Facebook every pancake day for about 12 years, and have a dwindling number of friends who complain if I forget.

Marner and Me

I downloaded a massive animated Batman file and it is a good watch.

I bet Bernards Watch, Out of Sight and Aquilla would hold up to, along with Chucklevision.

sirhenry

Quote from: icehaven on June 28, 2020, 01:32:00 AM
I've posted that video on Facebook every pancake day for about 12 years, and have a dwindling number of friends who complain if I forget.
Ditto.

I recently came across a Christmas episode of Insektors that they never broadcast in the UK that was a huge disappointment because it was in French. Like The Magic Roundabout, Insektors was a rather twee French animation that suddenly became glorious with a somewhat free translation into English. Watching them again for the first time in 25 years (thanks to a youtube channel that has uploaded DVD quality versions of the lot) they are still a delight and a beautiful way to get young kids interested in the environment.

SavageHedgehog

It was also the first CG animated series; people generally think it was Reboot but Insektors just about heat it to the punch. All things considered I think it still looks quite good.

George White

Quote from: buttgammon on June 14, 2020, 01:57:10 PM
Even at the time, I was a bit embarrassed about liking Recess.

One thing that has stood the test of time is Arthur, perhaps because it always had enough things that were pitched just above the heads of its target audience.

Hey Arnold's aged well too.
Poor Helga.

Olarrio

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 16, 2020, 12:59:02 PM
I also loved watching Roger And The Rotten Trolls on a Sunday morning with a stinking hangover.

RATRT was genuinely very funny, I seem to remember. If I'm trying to think up a name for a rock/metal band Cattlegrid always springs to mind.

Also filmed at Brimham Rocks, one of my favourite places in the UK.

pigamus

Rizla

Showed my 2 1/2 y/o lad all 13 episodes of Camberwick Green, he loves it to pieces, knows all the tunes and songs after two watchthroughs. I've got Mr Crockett's song stuck in my head now though, but instead of "fill her up, fill her up, the petrol pumps are working" I've been singing "Lock her up, lock her up, the pizza parlour paedo" :-(

ProvanFan

I skimmed every episode of Allsorts I could find on youtube recently, trying to find a particular bit about wibbly wobbly jelly on a plate. Didn't fucking find it did I, kept getting excited whenever they went near the kitchen but no, it was a big waste of time. Bonzo, Jiffy and the other one can fuck right off.

ProvanFan

Rewatched The Odyssey a few years ago, the Canadian one about the lad in a coma. I was enjoying it too until I realised it got cancelled without a proper ending. Really should've checked that out beforehand. Young Ryan Reynolds is in it, displaying all the qualities of a future Van Wilder.

George White

Quote from: ProvanFan on July 06, 2020, 06:19:36 PM
Rewatched The Odyssey a few years ago, the Canadian one about the lad in a coma. I was enjoying it too until I realised it got cancelled without a proper ending. Really should've checked that out beforehand. Young Ryan Reynolds is in it, displaying all the qualities of a future Van Wilder.

A lot of Canadian kids' shows, like Aussie soaps are full of nascent talent.
Recently looked up 2001 BBC sunday serial I Was A Rat, which aside from featuring 3 Oscar nominees (Tom Conti, Brenda Fricker, Ned Beatty) also featured 12 year old Michael Cera as a Cockney kid in a flat cap (Like a lot of kids' TV - see today's Malory Towers- funded with Canadian money - hence Toronto shooting).

JaDanketies

I feel like my generation really got some peak Ant and Dec with SMTV and CD:UK.

Other thoughts:

• Dexter's Lab
  • Cow and Chicken
  • The Powerpuff Girls
  • Ed, Edd and Eddy
  • Courage the Cowardly Dog

When we got Cartoon Network, it changed everything.

A little bit more adult / teen, remember Stressed Eric? I downloaded all that within the last decade and rewatched it, brilliant stuff

AliasTheCat

No mention yet of Trapdoor which remains brilliantly funny. Most of them are on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TonbD0TWGzU&t=330s

Cerys

I introduced my mum to Trapdoor a few years ago and she loves it.  And quite right too.

In other news, Cerys mentions Robin of Sherwood.