Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother: Best Episodes Ever

Started by Ja'moke, June 14, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

I get the feeling this retrospective series was testing the waters to see if there's any interest in bringing it back. It seemed to perform well in terms of social media engagement, not sure on the ratings though, probably better than usual for E4.

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 26, 2020, 12:06:58 PM
Does anyone know where I could find the full Fight Night episode of Big Brother? I've moaned so much about its exclusion from the E4 retrospective that my wife now wants to see it.

Seems to be one of the few episodes blocked in the UK in the BB5 playlist, so might work with a VPN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv48VWkJozk

Wasn't surprised to see it not included with the series. Similar to the racism controversy, it's more infamous than anything, despite being very entertaining telly. That said, the "who is she?" episode they included was just straight-up bullying from Grace and Nikki.

The fight night from BB9 is here though, an extremely frustrating piece of television, I remember standing up in my living room boiling with anger when this first aired (I was 15 tbf) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWg4XQPBc0

Puce Moment

Regarding Fight Night - I remember it as the first year I started watching the live stream. For those of us who sat through many hours of chat about the weather, Fight Night seemingly coming out of nowhere (although tensions certainly had been building) was very, very fucking exciting. I think its the first since I was a teenager that I called a friend as we were both watching it at, I think, 2am or something on a school night.

Taken out of context it probably just looks like a bit of a drama about nothing, but on the night it was scintillating TV.

Billy

Yep, I was 15 and stayed up all night refreshing various BB-related forums to see if anyone had any extra news as the live feed was cut completely. Some of it was fairly accurate, but mixed in with various exaggerated rumours that people were throwing tables and furniture at each other and half the housemates had been evicted.

Ja'moke

I remember there was one point it cut to the stock images but you could still hear the audio from the house and it was a cacophony of screaming and shouting and things being thrown/knocked over.

Utter Shit

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 26, 2020, 01:18:59 PM
I get the feeling this retrospective series was testing the waters to see if there's any interest in bringing it back. It seemed to perform well in terms of social media engagement, not sure on the ratings though, probably better than usual for E4.

Seems to be one of the few episodes blocked in the UK in the BB5 playlist, so might work with a VPN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv48VWkJozk

Wasn't surprised to see it not included with the series. Similar to the racism controversy, it's more infamous than anything, despite being very entertaining telly. That said, the "who is she?" episode they included was just straight-up bullying from Grace and Nikki.

The fight night from BB9 is here though, an extremely frustrating piece of television, I remember standing up in my living room boiling with anger when this first aired (I was 15 tbf) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWg4XQPBc0

I'd long given up on BB by this point but just watched that video - is there a context I'm missing? Rex seems to have done something very snide and comes across incredibly arrogant in his half-arsed apology, but the rest of them just tell him he's out of order and that's pretty much it...then the moment Mohammed says something in support of Rex they ALL go mental at him. Screaming, getting in his face and of course that horrible little cunt spitting at him. I don't agree with Mohammed sticking up for Rex, but I don't understand how they can be more angry at the person sticking up for him than at Rex himself for doing it. Based on that video he doesn't seem like a dickhead generally, he seems really upset by Dennis accusing him of being homophobic and the accusation that he squared up to one of the women just seems totally untrue from the footage. So why did he draw so much anger when Rex didn't?

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 26, 2020, 02:55:21 PM
I'd long given up on BB by this point but just watched that video - is there a context I'm missing? Rex seems to have done something very snide and comes across incredibly arrogant in his half-arsed apology, but the rest of them just tell him he's out of order and that's pretty much it...then the moment Mohammed says something in support of Rex they ALL go mental at him. Screaming, getting in his face and of course that horrible little cunt spitting at him. I don't agree with Mohammed sticking up for Rex, but I don't understand how they can be more angry at the person sticking up for him than at Rex himself for doing it. Based on that video he doesn't seem like a dickhead generally, he seems really upset by Dennis accusing him of being homophobic and the accusation that he squared up to one of the women just seems totally untrue from the footage. So why did he draw so much anger when Rex didn't?

Rex was arrogant and smug, but quite funny with it. The others probably wisely realised that despite being a pain for them, Rex might be popular with the viewers - for at least bringing some entertainment and being witty. Mohammed wasn't well liked in the house, a bit of a non-entity. He was greedy, slobbish, slept all day and didn't fit in with more popular bitchy group. He was an easy target who everyone assumed they could treat like shit without it mattering too much, as only a few people in there seemed to like him.

From memory the girl whose painting it was, Jen, was an irritating drama queen who looked for any excuse to turn on the waterworks and have everyone in the house fawn over her and comfort her. So whilst it wasn't a nice thing to do, she milked it to the hilt. Plus she was a hugely unpleasant person, constantly bitching, trying to arrange her staged 'showmance' (with a prettyboy dullard who's name escapes me), moaning how it wasn't fun enough in there and how the eventual winner, a pleasant Welsh girl, was 'fake' because she didn't spend all day slagging everyone off and being horrible the way she herself did.

So many unlikeable/irritating people that series.

Ja'moke

"You wouldn't do that to Monet!"

Custard

Jen and Dale ended up falling out, once in the "real world" anyway. He accused her of just being with him for magazine deals, she accused him of secretly wanting to swap her for Channelle from one of the previous years. Jen was also allegedly still shagging her ex, and Dale said he was even in the house once when it happened

Read this in an old news article earlier this week. I don't remember this much about them!

Jen's most memorable moment was falling out mildly with Darnell then him offering to massage her feet as an olive branch. Sly 'ol dog

Custard

As for Mohammed, or Greedy Mo as they liked to call him, he was basically the house punch-bag. People were constantly having a go at him, and cos he was so laid-back they knew he was an easy target

I still wish someone had booted Dennis' miserable little face off. Imagine spitting in another human being's face. Absolutely disgusting.

Been rewatching BB9 from the start, and it really escalates quickly. Alexandra is basically calling everyone at cunt by day 3!

This bloke doesn't have all the episodes, but there's a fair few of them, starting here - https://youtu.be/xUdC-0ww6sY

Laughed at Mario trying to hold Health and Safety meetings to a load of bemused faces, and also having the gall to say to Jen and Steph that running around in their undies is demeaning at the very moment Lisa is rubbing cream into his arse

The electric shock task episode is a banger. Divides already formed and the house brimming with tension

Alexandra is up there in worst housemates for me. Ridiculously angry and acts like everything is an imposition, from day 1!

Good series that one though. Katreya is more annoying than I remember. Her trying to get cookies over as her "thing". Desolation

Deanjam

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 26, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
Laughed at Mario trying to hold Health and Safety meetings to a load of bemused faces, and also having the gall to say to Jen and Steph that running around in their undies is demeaning at the very moment Lisa is rubbing cream into his arse

Remembering this brought a big laugh.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 26, 2020, 09:08:52 PM
Good series that one though. Katreya is more annoying than I remember. Her trying to get cookies over as her "thing". Desolation

I recall her going during a surprise eviction. When it was announced someone was going she said something like "Please Big Brother don't take my friends away from me!" Really didn't expect to go, which is always the best kind of eviction.

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 26, 2020, 06:34:11 PM
"You wouldn't do that to Monet!"

Another big laugh remembered there.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Quote on June 26, 2020, 06:11:06 PM
From memory the girl whose painting it was, Jen, was an irritating drama queen who looked for any excuse to turn on the waterworks and have everyone in the house fawn over her and comfort her. So whilst it wasn't a nice thing to do, she milked it to the hilt. Plus she was a hugely unpleasant person, constantly bitching, trying to arrange her staged 'showmance' (with a prettyboy dullard who's name escapes me), moaning how it wasn't fun enough in there and how the eventual winner, a pleasant Welsh girl, was 'fake' because she didn't spend all day slagging everyone off and being horrible the way she herself did.

Jen was also playing Dale and Stuart against each other, hence why they were both all over the opportunity to defend her during the fight. They were always competing.

Yeah, it's coming back to me now. Once she got the boot they both just lounged around the house contributing nothing, just splayed out across the furniture in a variety of ludicrous hats & scarves.

Dale's mission statement in his VT: "I'll smash any fanny in there!"

Icehaven

Who was that incredibly vain woman who had her makeup taken off her as punishment, then when a new housemate entered she literally ran straight up to him and explained she didn't usually look like that and insisted he imagine what she looked like with makeup on? Also described herself as "Queen of her road" iirc.

Jockice

Quote from: icehaven on June 28, 2020, 12:20:15 AM
Who was that incredibly vain woman who had her makeup taken off her as punishment, then when a new housemate entered she literally ran straight up to him and explained she didn't usually look like that and insisted he imagine what she looked like with makeup on? Also described herself as "Queen of her road" iirc.

I think it was the aforementioned Shabnam who said she was 'queen of her road' but i can't remember any make-up stuff. I'm getting more and more pleased that I can't remember everything.

PS, Apparently it was. https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/big-brother/big-brother-shabnam-surrenders-make-up-216121/

gilbertharding

Has anyone mentioned 'be careful Sandy!' from whenever it was?

Desperately dull year when they still allowed grown ups on it.

Thank goodness for Nasty Nick, or else BB1 would just have been an 8 week fly-on-the-wall documentary of several people learning to play the guitar in real time.

Jockice

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 28, 2020, 10:47:54 AM

Thank goodness for Nasty Nick, or else BB1 would just have been an 8 week fly-on-the-wall documentary of several people learning to play the guitar in real time.

That actually sounds okay to me though. I did really like the psychological experiment bit of it. But a few years in it just became an assembly of wankers trying to prove how genuinely nasty they could be and being dismissed as 'boring' if they weren't. I think Charlie Brooker described Charley as 'proactively boring' because she would literally just spend all her time trying to start arguments. In the end I stopped watching it for the same reason I stopped watching The Apprentice. Both ended up being full of immature cheating cunts who did everything they did with an eye on how this would make their name known in the outside world. Not in a good way, they just wanted their names to be known.

And we have enough of that sort with real power in this country without seeing poor apologies for them on telly.

imitationleather

lol that was BB3, the Jade Goody year. Desperately dull it weren't!

Icehaven

Quote from: Jockice on June 28, 2020, 09:21:17 AM
I think it was the aforementioned Shabnam who said she was 'queen of her road' but i can't remember any make-up stuff. I'm getting more and more pleased that I can't remember everything.

PS, Apparently it was. https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/big-brother/big-brother-shabnam-surrenders-make-up-216121/

Yep that was her.

Bently Sheds

I always preferred Alex's "DO SOMETHING FOR MEEEEEE!" when he was trying to sort out an argument between Jade and Adele. I always thought Alex was a good value housemate; I used to enjoy him and Sandy sitting like two grumpy old men, grumbling about stuff, but if he's only generally remembered for this excellent clip:

https://youtu.be/eNBbgIgJrD8?t=33

Shit, and now I've gone and remembered Tim "Comprondez?" Cully.

Utter Shit

The one thing I remembered about Alex other than that dance behind the door was someone (Jonny?) admitting to pissing in the shower, and Alex going to the diary room to have an incredibly camp moan about it. Repeated use of the word 'disgusting'.

Sean Ymphs

Series 9 had one of the most irritating things I've seen television. One of the housemates took it upon themselves to "cook" four tins of tinned spaghetti on the stove and then place it in tupperware containers, the idea being that if anyone wanted some later they would only have to "heat it up". And all the other housemates just went "oh brilliant, thanks for doing that," it seemingly not occurring to anyone how pointless this was.

Does anyone remember the Celebrity Hijack series? The concept was all the housemates were 'talented' people, and each week a different celebrity would act as Big Brother. I remember a moment when Brian Sewell summoned one of them to the diary room and congratulated them for having a crafty wank while the alarm clock went off.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on June 29, 2020, 01:17:20 AM
Does anyone remember the Celebrity Hijack series? The concept was all the housemates were 'talented' people, and each week a different celebrity would act as Big Brother. I remember a moment when Brian Sewell summoned one of them to the diary room and congratulated them for having a crafty wank while the alarm clock went off.

Yeah, there were some fun shows in that run. I recall the Russell Brand, Joan Rivers and Roseanne Barr episodes as particularly enjoyable. I think most of them are on YouTube. They should have tried a week of celebrity hijack as a shopping task in a regular series, especially if ratings were down, it's a good concept.

notjosh

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on June 29, 2020, 01:17:20 AM
I remember a moment when Brian Sewell summoned one of them to the diary room and congratulated them for having a crafty wank while the alarm clock went off.

I'll bet he did the saucy git.

One of the funniest moments was when BB5 irritant Marco slipped whilst running to be reunited with his Mum post-eviction and took her out with a two-footed slide tackle.

Camp Tramp

The most nauseating contestant was Craig in BB6, even more so than Maxwell, who I also detested.

A slimy sexual predator who preyed onto possibly the densest man in the house. Not so dense enough though for Craig's charms to work on him.

thr0b

My favourite housemate and most deserving winner was Lovely Welsh Teacher Rachel.

Bullied by Cunt Rex throughout, and a thoroughly decent person from start to finish. And then given an awful interview by Davina, who clearly did not like her because she wasn't showy enough. Tsk.

Anyway.

Davina and Brian are having a big old Twitter spat over these shows not referencing Brian being one of the three BB hosts. He refused to record a "bit" for the shows as it was to be the same as the housemates, rather than the longer-form given to the various presenters.

I can see his point, but he was a fucking dreadful host.
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a32991206/big-brother-brian-dowling-davina-mccall-row/

Yeah, he totally blew it. I think it was too big for him and he choked (fucking hell, I swear I'm not doing this on purpose. I've tried rephrasing it a few times and it's just getting gayer. I even deleted a bit about him not being right for the role of ring master).
I've seen him on looser, low key late night things in the past and he's quite good at improvising and putting folk at ease, but fronting big brother didn't play to his strengths at all.

thr0b

Aye, nothing against the fella. He was a deserving winner first time around, and good on The Mint etc. But for a big primetime live show? He was woefully out of his depth.

(The Mint being live and probably had a bigger budget than Channel 5 BB at that point, but my argument stands.)

It was clear that Emma was being groomed to take over, and he should've kept his dignity and stepped back. Instead they sacked him at the end of his contract.