Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:51:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother: Best Episodes Ever

Started by Ja'moke, June 14, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Billy on June 16, 2020, 06:10:27 PM

I've not (knowingly) met a housemate, but in 2011 I was at a house party in the same region of Wales that Glyn's from, and was told he was a regular at the local club and the fame had gone to his head a bit by then.

Oh yeah, I've just remembered that apparently I was once in the same pub as the younger brother of that bald bloke (PJ?) who copped off with Jade Goody. We were both studying at the same university (me as a mature student) and he was pointed out to me by someone on the same course who was much younger than me. I wouldn't recognise the bloke if he gave me a hand job under the sheets though. Or indeed vice versa.

New page Jockice you have now been evicted.

sevendaughters

remember someone running through my student union singing 'vote for PJ, vote for PJ, vote for PJ' to the tune of 'Panic'.

one for the desolation thread maybe.

sevendaughters

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 16, 2020, 06:43:35 PM
It most certainly was not.

some right lows though, the Roxanne Pallett national hate figure stuff was just too much

Noodle Lizard

Like several of you, some of my best days were spent as an unemployed late teen staying up all night with the live feeds, starting with the infamous 2007 Celebrity Big Brother. It's a shame the Shilpagate thing took all the attention, because I was much more fascinated by Leo Sayer's antics, not to mention the very idea of Ken Russell being on Big Brother at all.

Aside from that, one of the series I followed most closely was the one with Jay McKray - I think it was the first C5 one. Maybe not one of the best series overall, but there were some fascinating characters in that one, and following along with commentary on here and DigitalSpy was something I looked forward to every day - especially when it got into conspiracy theory territory (notably stuff involving Jay McKray shitting in freezers or "fisting" something/someone, and blatant attempts by the producers to silence contestants mentioning it).

I think the one after that was quite good too - the one where it seemed to mostly be a bunch of kids - except for one older bloke trying desperately to coin a catchphrase by going "Showbiiiiiz!" with jazz hands at any given opportunity, but I think he got shitcanned almost as soon as he entered. There was this Irish Legend Gary who they threw in a couple of weeks into it, an absolutely shameless attempt to make everyone miserable, but I ended up liking him far more than most of the others.

I think the last one I watched properly was the CBB with Farrah Abraham - or possibly the one with Perez Hilton going mental and Cheggars getting bullied by some snide drunk tit, but that whole David's Dead thing is absolutely one of the finest TV comedy moments.

I'm looking forward to getting into these. Simpler times.

Puce Moment

Quote from: GMTV on June 16, 2020, 05:48:37 PMJust watched that David dead clip, that's absolutely outstanding. Biggest laugh I've had in a while.

I've never seen this, but Kathy Burke telling the story on Bucklescast is fucking hilarious.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 16, 2020, 06:43:35 PM
It most certainly was not.

Yeah C5 had some all time great celeb editions, better than a lot of the later C4 era ones.

Ja'moke

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 16, 2020, 02:40:17 PM
Probably watched it up to series 6 when I felt it had crossed from being "these people know they can get famous from this" to "these people are too knowing that being a shithead can make them even more famous". Like beyond S1 it is a knowing show but you still get fundamentally normal people like Cameron winning it and likeable semi-normos who aren't always 'on' like Jon, Dean, Gos, and Alison in there. In S6 nearly everyone is a bit of a character - even the likeable Eugene was painted quite cartoonishly in nerdface. Look at the cast here - https://bigbrotheruk.fandom.com/wiki/Big_Brother_6

Eugene was actually quite sly I thought. Science was the hero of BB6 and I hope they show that episode from that series with the box task.

Speaking of Nikki though, which is tonight's episode focus, she went on Big Brother Canada a couple years ago as part of an international twist along with Tim from BB Australia. She was really enjoyable on that and a lot more toned down, for Nikki standards anyway. I think probably because BBCAN is more strategy/gameplay orientated, Nikki made for a nice contrast to all the scheming, just living in her own world.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 16, 2020, 09:47:35 PM
Science

Greatest delivery of an insult in the show's history:

"Tweedle dumb. Tweedle dee. And Tweedle twat!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OTw3BwyfNg

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on June 16, 2020, 09:53:11 PM
Greatest delivery of an insult in the show's history:

"Tweedle dumb. Tweedle dee. And Tweedle twat!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OTw3BwyfNg

The Science vs Maxwell eviction was genuinely butt-clinchingly tense at the time. The shock on Maxwell's face when his name is read out, perfection. He clearly thought he was hilarious and was going to win the whole thing.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 16, 2020, 09:55:57 PM
The Science vs Maxwell eviction was genuinely butt-clinchingly tense at the time. The shock on Maxwell's face when his name is read out, perfection. He clearly thought he was hilarious and was going to win the whole thing.

If I recall correctly they played the crowd reactions into the house for one of the early weeks when everyone was up for eviction and Maxwell & Saskia got big cheers so thought they were popular. Of course it went to their heads and the public quickly turned on them.

Jockice

Quote from: Deanjam on June 16, 2020, 10:21:47 PM
If I recall correctly they played the crowd reactions into the house for one of the early weeks when everyone was up for eviction and Maxwell & Saskia got big cheers so thought they were popular. Of course it went to their heads and the public quickly turned on them.
As i've mentioned, I liked Saskia but not for the reasons you might think. I just thought she was really sweet. And like many sweet women she ended up with a laddish wanker. It's the way of the world.

Billy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 16, 2020, 07:18:13 PM
Like several of you, some of my best days were spent as an unemployed late teen staying up all night with the live feeds, starting with the infamous 2007 Celebrity Big Brother. It's a shame the Shilpagate thing took all the attention, because I was much more fascinated by Leo Sayer's antics, not to mention the very idea of Ken Russell being on Big Brother at all.

Sayer's exit was brilliant, him just screaming "FUCK OFF!! FUCK OFF!!!!" at two security guards trying desperately to restrain him. Especially when it was revealed in a later documentary that he got into a 'police car' and refused to leave it until the cops arrived, only to be told that it was a prop car from The Bill filming next door.

Utter Shit

One of my favourite moments ever was Victor, the self-styled 'rapper slash hitman', claiming that they needed to turn the hot water back on because "I'm going to get ILL eventually...I've already got the sniffles". He was a great housemate - didn't cover himself in glory during Fight Night (though no one did really), but he had a great ability to both play up to the gangster character and also completely undermine it for laughs. Him and Jason were very funny quietly commenting on all the twats in the house, until that night where it did genuinely seem like Jason might snap and beat the shit out of Emma.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Billy on June 16, 2020, 10:45:15 PM
Sayer's exit was brilliant, him just screaming "FUCK OFF!! FUCK OFF!!!!" at two security guards trying desperately to restrain him. Especially when it was revealed in a later documentary that he got into a 'police car' and refused to leave it until the cops arrived, only to be told that it was a prop car from The Bill filming next door.

I'm pretty sure it was a CAB member that put that clip into a remix of Thunder In My Heart, which I made an accompanying video for at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpUzLmxyaQ

Deanjam

Quote from: Billy on June 16, 2020, 10:45:15 PM

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 16, 2020, 11:46:21 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a CAB member that put that clip into a remix of Thunder In My Heart, which I made an accompanying video for at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdpUzLmxyaQ

Thanks for the genuine laughs.

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 16, 2020, 11:38:38 PM
One of my favourite moments ever was Victor, the self-styled 'rapper slash hitman', claiming that they needed to turn the hot water back on because "I'm going to get ILL eventually...I've already got the sniffles". He was a great housemate - didn't cover himself in glory during Fight Night (though no one did really), but he had a great ability to both play up to the gangster character and also completely undermine it for laughs. Him and Jason were very funny quietly commenting on all the twats in the house, until that night where it did genuinely seem like Jason might snap and beat the shit out of Emma.

He got screwed over on the wedding night task by that tedious Shell. Genuinely believe people voted him out cos he was a black guy shouting at a blonde, even thought she was being a twat.

up_the_hampipe

Tomorrow night they're doing an episode from one of my favourite celeb series. It's the one where Ulrika Jonsson and Verne Troyer do a duet. That series had one of the ultimate wind-up merchants in Coolio. Looking forward to revisiting that.

One of my favourite ever BB moments was when that tool Stuart was evicted in series 9, he attempted a stage dive and everyone moved out of the way https://youtu.be/oFK9u0lumyw?t=140

Perhaps the best thing about it was Davina describing it immediately afterwards, just underlining what an absolute mug he's made of himself.

holyzombiejesus

Who is the guy dressed as the King of Hearts in this clip?

https://youtu.be/drXEClasfaM?t=878

Deanjam

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 17, 2020, 12:45:45 AM

Marcus. Fancied himself as Wolverine. Had a weird relationship with Noirin.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 17, 2020, 12:45:45 AM

Think he was called Marcus. That was BB10.

JesusAndYourBush

Did anyone else spend tonights episode shouting "It's just a tv show, get a fucking grip!" at the screen or just me?

Later in that series they made a huge mistake in letting Nicky back into the house.  Up until that point she was mainly liked by the public for her nutty behaviour, but while she was out she'd seen the coverage and knew which bits people liked so on her return she became a caricature of herself and opinion turned and she became hated.

I watched until bb8.  (I started watching again for the last couple of Ch5 series.)
The last straw for me was when a girl quit after being in a very small amount of days because it wasn't what she expected and she couldn't hack it, and in the diary room she pleaded "Do I still get a deal?"  (Although looking at wiki I can't work out who that was or even which series as nobody in s8 fits my recollection.)

machotrouts

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on June 17, 2020, 01:32:58 AMThe last straw for me was when a girl quit after being in a very small amount of days because it wasn't what she expected and she couldn't hack it, and in the diary room she pleaded "Do I still get a deal?"  (Although looking at wiki I can't work out who that was or even which series as nobody in s8 fits my recollection.)

It was BB8, Shabnam Paryani. "Will I still get deals?"

Didn't actually end up walking (which I misremembered too) but was evicted early. Later attempted a music career.

JesusAndYourBush

Ah well remembered!  I liked her, I remember being disappointed she was out so early.

Billy

The main issue with Nicki returning was that everyone who'd been calling up the phone lines to get her evicted suddenly felt cheated that their votes basically meant nothing, particularly as their calls cost money on premium rates. This was before the many phone-in "scandals" of 2007 (Blue Peter, Brainteaser, Richard & Judy etc) gave that kind of thing more attention.

No one seemed to mind on The X Factor though in the years when the "winner" would get their contracted Christmas #1 and immediately disappear, while Cowell's preferred act in 2nd or 3rd place would become the one with all the money and hype behind it (One Direction, Olly Murs etc) thus defeating the point of all those votes in the first place. But then that would usually happen about a year later when everyone had forgotten who actually won in the first place.

Jockice

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 16, 2020, 06:46:12 PM
some right lows though, the Roxanne Pallett national hate figure stuff was just too much

Went to the same school as a member of my family and was apparently a notorious bully there. Although my relation is a few years younger so I doubt if they ever met. But Roxanne had a bit of a reputation. Allegedly.

Custard

Best volatile moments from BB5
https://youtu.be/BdKgziu5kUI

I especially enjoyed that empty plant pot Shell telling Kitten that suppressing people "isn't my bag".

Vanessa was lovely looking, but there was nothing going on there either. Zero presence or personality. She went on a few dates with Ben Fogle after she kept saying she fancied him on the show. Her and Shell did loads of shoots for lads mags afterwards also, then both vanished

Used to love Victor and Jason's late night live feed chats. Quietly slagging off the others and plotting away. Bringing Ahmed onto their side was a masterstroke,  and directly led to him blowing up at the others during plategate, and also telling Marco to get in ditch. They were constantly winding him up about the others

Michelle was good value that series too, though all the "bunny boiler" stuff they tried to stick on her probably wouldn't fly these days

sevendaughters

the Kitten = Rik from Young Ones was probably something you couldn't get away with but also was totally true.

Custard

She was also likened to "Jarvis Cocker on the blob"

Enlightened times

Jockice

Quote from: machotrouts on June 17, 2020, 01:41:51 AM
It was BB8, Shabnam Paryani. "Will I still get deals?"

Didn't actually end up walking (which I misremembered too) but was evicted early. Later attempted a music career.

Is it her who auditioned for Britain's Got Talent as a 'TV presenter?'

Just checked. Yes it was.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N6j-KU1EzE

She's got an immense capacity for public humiliation, I'll give her that.

Bently Sheds

Easily one of my favourite BB moments, ever. Maxwell was such a smug fucker, buoyed on by those crowd cheers in a previous eviction, thinking him and Saskia were untouchable, ganging up with Craig and his darling Anferney. He thought he was going to walk into the final.

I remember people watching the live feed at the time reported that Science was getting a bad edit in the nightly shows, portraying him as aggressive and argumentative but editing out the bits where he had been provoked or bullied beforehand.

Maxwell was like a deflated balloon when his name was read out. All the bravado and swagger was knocked out of him.