Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:10:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother: Best Episodes Ever

Started by Ja'moke, June 14, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

I have a secret enjoyment for finding out what ex-contestants are up to, even (especially?) when they go back to normalcy and try to avoid the money for old rope David Brent post-Office nightclub appearances circuit.

Here is first ever BB evictee Sada, now named Guru Amrit Dev

Custard

I thought Saskia and Maxwell were a pair of absolute knobheads

Evidence A for the court
https://youtu.be/hBkHDnOJdm4

"You've got a chip on your shoulder, like people like you do"

Lovely Saskia to Makosi, there

I will add though, that Saskia is now in an interracial relationship and has a mixed race son. Maybe she's grown up

Utter Shit

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 17, 2020, 01:57:41 PM
I have a secret enjoyment for finding out what ex-contestants are up to, even (especially?) when they go back to normalcy and try to avoid the money for old rope David Brent post-Office nightclub appearances circuit.

Here is first ever BB evictee Sada, now named Guru Amrit Dev

If you don't read her name as "Shaw-deh" in a Scouse accent, did you even watch Big Brother 1 bro?

Custard

Forgot about Ultimate Big Brother

Coolio was great, winding up Nadia and Nikki

https://youtu.be/QpAbO4eEy5U

Quite funny that Nadia went out to boos that time round. What a balls up

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: machotrouts on June 17, 2020, 01:41:51 AM
It was BB8, Shabnam Paryani. "Will I still get deals?"

Didn't actually end up walking (which I misremembered too) but was evicted early. Later attempted a music career.

Davina pulling some grand old facial expressions on that first vid, inclusive of the expression in which she looks genuinely astounded that a fellow human could be so incredibly vacuous and shallow.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on June 17, 2020, 01:05:01 PM
Is it her who auditioned for Britain's Got Talent as a 'TV presenter?'

Just checked. Yes it was.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N6j-KU1EzE

She's got an immense capacity for public humiliation, I'll give her that.

Wonder if she's on Susan Scott's books nowadays as a Fiona Apple looky likey ?

Lest we forget, David Mitchell went to Cambridge and got into the footlights and that, in order to further his burning ambition to get onto BBC panel shows, but nobody has a go at him ( you could argue he's got a bit more to him than yer woman, though).

The most newsworthy Big Brother thing of all
Spoiler alert
The Shilpa Shetty race row
[close]
won't feature in this. Bet you a fiver.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 17, 2020, 07:18:08 PM
The most newsworthy Big Brother thing of all
Spoiler alert
The Shilpa Shetty race row
[close]
won't feature in this. Bet you a fiver.

Well, obviously. They're not going to fondly reminisce on that as one of the best shows ever.

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 17, 2020, 02:47:27 PM
I thought Saskia and Maxwell were a pair of absolute knobheads

Evidence A for the court
https://youtu.be/hBkHDnOJdm4

"You've got a chip on your shoulder, like people like you do"

Lovely Saskia to Makosi, there

I will add though, that Saskia is now in an interracial relationship and has a mixed race son. Maybe she's grown up

Still team Saskia I'm afraid. Makosi was an absolute nightmare. Pretending to be pregnant. I mean what was all that about? Awful woman. The attention-seeker's attention-seeker.

I also thought Shabnam was okay. She just didn't have the sneakiness to pretend that she was doing it for any other reason than to try and become famous. She had very little talent of course but neither do have lots of genuinely famous people.

Bence Fekete

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 17, 2020, 07:59:43 PM
Well, obviously. They're not going to fondly reminisce on that as one of the best shows ever.

Completely understandable but also a shame given that series was CBB at it's most Shakespearean.

The three evil witches. The anarchic schitzo working-class mother. The tragedy that was about to become Jade's rapid fall from grace and imminent death. Shilpa responding with so much natural grace she accidentally pulls her Dad Dirk Benedict. 

Watching all that stoned and in context revealed some deeper darker underlying genetic/cultural war being played out in public through unwitting marionettes. Jack Tweed egging her on under the covers like an unconcious trojan secret racist spy clearly too thick to realise his own part as the fool. Tense and telling that Jade's legacy could never recover in time.

There was something transcendental about big brother when it tapped into those fault-lines. I miss it. But there was an awful load of bollocks too.

Be a cracking time to bring it back for a Brexit special.

Captain Z

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 16, 2020, 09:55:57 PM
The Science vs Maxwell eviction was genuinely butt-clinchingly tense at the time. The shock on Maxwell's face when his name is read out, perfection. He clearly thought he was hilarious and was going to win the whole thing.

I watched this today. I wasn't too invested in this series for some reason, but I do now remember a sense of satisfaction in this result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phAgK6G_xaI

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 17, 2020, 07:59:43 PM

It sort of was, though, racism stuff aside. In terms of pure ratings-bait it was perfect. Donny Tourette during the one year he was famous, Leo Sayer who nobody remembered but is absolutely a "character", Ken Russell for the WTF option and then depressed versions of Steps/S Club members ... it was by far one of the best line-ups, and then throwing in Jade and her clan in on top of that. Having the mild-mannered and relatively unknown Shilpa in there was probably the biggest mistake, through no fault of her own, as she was bound to be an easy target for this mob - but not the good kind.

It made for a fascinating cultural moment, and is probably what UK BB is most known for. Seems almost disingenuous not to look back on it. Or maybe I just want people to revisit Leo Sayer's moments on that show. I never liked BBLB, but I liked how Russell Brand seemed equally as fascinated by him as I was.

https://youtu.be/fzqGkn4E-oA

Uncle TechTip

They did go over the CBB debacle in the Jade Goody documentary for Channel 4 and the impression i got was that they were in no way afraid to hide what happened and even leave you with the conclusion that those involved thought it was a huge mistake on reflection.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Bently Sheds on June 17, 2020, 01:40:14 PM

Easily one of my favourite BB moments, ever. Maxwell was such a smug fucker, buoyed on by those crowd cheers in a previous eviction, thinking him and Saskia were untouchable, ganging up with Craig and his darling Anferney. He thought he was going to walk into the final.

I remember people watching the live feed at the time reported that Science was getting a bad edit in the nightly shows, portraying him as aggressive and argumentative but editing out the bits where he had been provoked or bullied beforehand.

Maxwell was like a deflated balloon when his name was read out. All the bravado and swagger was knocked out of him.

I hope they show at least one eviction episode during this retrospective.

Sezer's early eviction in BB7 was a great one too.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 17, 2020, 10:48:34 PM

Ah yes. Cocky Millhouse.

Ambient Sheep

Yup, the audience going "We've already had one Maxwell, we don't want another, thanks."

Both those evictions were glorious.

Emma Raducanu

I'm happy for people to keep posting links by the way. It's good looking back

Custard

BB4 was so boring at the time, but it actually looks alright in this compilation
https://youtu.be/1KPMefGffFg

If a bit too innocent and twee

sevendaughters

series 4 was just low-key, they had a crew of mostly decent people. even the Saffer guy that switched with Cameron (Gaetano) was alright. it doesn't always have to be yelling!

Custard

Yeah, true

Plus Ray wanking under the duvet was probably one of the funniest things in any series

It's a shame that series was so bland and uneventful because it felt like they went so out of their way to never let that happen again and it was a detriment to the show.

I've been taping these but haven't got round to watching them yet. Not sure if I'll bother with the first one. I thought I was above it all until the second series when it quickly became apparent that I wasn't, but the first series looks really boring when I've seen clips in the past. I don't know if I could get through a whole episode.

Custard

Derek was one of the highlights of BB6
https://youtu.be/C6cFbu1EVBg

"Mary, you are behaving like a complete ASS"

JesusAndYourBush

In Shilpa Shetty vs Jade, the best line was Shilpa's "Your claim to fame is *this*, good for you!"

Tomorrow it's the one where Jackie Stallone does her best Scooby Doo impression... "Raggy!"

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 17, 2020, 11:45:46 PM
Yeah, true

Plus Ray wanking under the duvet was probably one of the funniest things in any series

Didn't he have a full wank to completion in the shower, safe in the knowledge that they'd never show it, as admitted afterwards. Or SMBH, did you say you'd seen similar business when working on series 1?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on June 18, 2020, 01:45:50 AM
Didn't he have a full wank to completion in the shower, safe in the knowledge that they'd never show it, as admitted afterwards. Or SMBH, did you say you'd seen similar business when working on series 1?

Yes, I remember reading a post in this forum, years ago, that in BB1 someone had a wank every morning looking into the mirror and grinning, knowing they'd never show it.

Jockice

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 17, 2020, 10:48:34 PM

Was he the bloke who said in the diary room (or maybe to the other housemates) that he'd be safe because all the women would vote for his opponent to go? And got something like 90% of the vote to be evicted.

I'm amazed I can remember all this. I really was no more than an occasional viewer. Although I did go and visit my sister quite often who was a diehard up to the very last series. Now, who was the Scottish bloke who was trying to be funny in the dairy room to absolutely no reaction from the woman who was manning it, so to speak? Then he came out and told the other housemates that 'she was pissing herself.'' What a prick.

C_Larence

Quote from: Shameless Custard on June 17, 2020, 03:27:53 PM
Forgot about Ultimate Big Brother

Coolio was great, winding up Nadia and Nikki

https://youtu.be/QpAbO4eEy5U

Quite funny that Nadia went out to boos that time round. What a balls up

I didn't even know this had happened. Watching it now and am gobsmacked at Nadia's trailing off with an "I'm talking too much" at 55 seconds. It's incredible. No idea what she's talking about or even who that is she's talking to, but her tone and delivery wouldn't be out of place at the beginning of a murder mystery where everyone has a motive to kill her.

paruses

What was the one with Charlie in. And the posh girl who said "alright my n-" and got chucked out? And was that one with Nikki and the gay Canadian in?

I used to watch those while drinking heavily in my hotel in Swansea and then read Grace Dent's column about it the following day. Such heady days.

Gulftastic

BB always makes me think of when Stu and Helen had their date (S2 I think). That was the same night my Father died. I was watching it when I got the call. Not that I'm blaming them.

Ambient Sheep

It wasn't S2 as I remember that date happening (Stu was the lad with the bandana, right?) and I didn't start watching until the end of S3.