Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,327
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters reunited!

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, June 15, 2020, 11:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This is rather nice. Ivan Reitman and the cast of Ghostbusters chatting during lockdown via Skype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtOHr4IJHQ&feature=youtu.be

famethrowa

One might think it's a bit wanky wearing sunglasses for an appearance, but I think Elwood can get away with it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I thought that too. He's allowed.

Blumf

That really was a surprisingly comprehensive group, shame they could get Moranis in.

I forgot they're making another GB film.

Shaky

Quote from: Blumf on June 16, 2020, 12:40:00 AM
I forgot they're making another GB film.

It's made, son. Done. Was originally supposed to be out by now too.

H-O-W-L

I think at this point Moranis is just fucking tired of having his pisser pulled around by Ghostbusters and wants fuck all to do with it. I mean let's be fair it wasn't exactly the biggest role of his career for him anyway.

Brundle-Fly

Moranis seems to have a take it or leave it attitude regarding anything to do with his acting career. He obviously chose to leave it with this reunion.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shaky on June 17, 2020, 03:25:10 AM
It's made, son. Done. Was originally supposed to be out by now too.

Looks fucking terrible as well.  Dare I say it, even worse than the last one.

Bazooka

I love the original one with the women in it, these new wave actors like Murray and Ackroyd just don't cut it. 

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 17, 2020, 05:34:02 PM

I know, why do they keep remaking the original one with the women in it and the boy from Thor.

Shaky

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 17, 2020, 05:34:02 PM

I think it looks alright. If it has to exist (and of course it does), then a change of cast and scene is a decent start.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 17, 2020, 05:32:07 PM
Moranis seems to have a take it or leave it attitude regarding anything to do with his acting career. He obviously chose to leave it with this reunion.

Nah, he just requires: a start date, a timeframe, a script, and an idea of who else has been asked. He has two kids to look after still so it's plenty reasonable. Apparently his film career in the eighties gave him enough money to retire from in '97 so he just fucked it off aside from voicework, which is obviously a much smaller commitment.

famethrowa

Quote from: H-O-W-L on June 18, 2020, 02:35:45 AM
He has two kids to look after still so it's plenty reasonable.

Both those "kids" would be at least 30 years old now, how much looking after do they need??

Shaky

To be fair, I don't think Moranis has trotted out the "dead wife, kids to look after" reason for a very long time now. It's something that keeps coming up in clickbait "Whatever happened to that guy?" articles every couple of years. He'll be reprising his Honey, I Shrunk... role soon so obviously he can be coaxed back under the right circumstances. He has popped up as Bob MacKenzie very occasionally as well.

As iconic as Louis Tully is there probably isn't much left to do with the character. He was pretty much shoehorned into GBII as it was. Some nice moments but he's just kind of "there" because it's the sequel.

Replies From View

Quote from: famethrowa on June 18, 2020, 03:40:35 AM
Both those "kids" would be at least 30 years old now, how much looking after do they need??

Well they are miniaturised and lost in his garden.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shaky on June 18, 2020, 05:50:31 AM
To be fair, I don't think Moranis has trotted out the "dead wife, kids to look after" reason for a very long time now.

Correct.

Last time I heard a proper interview with him was a couple of years ago and it was one of those no-name American web radio shows that somehow manage to attract major celebs as guests.  It was a phone interview (that was, IIRC, mostly about the Mckenzie brothers as it was some anniversary I think; EDIT - in fact it must've been for/around the same time as the benefit concert they did for Dave Thomas' nephew) and he just said he was enjoying his own private life and was in the fortunate position to be able to pick and choose the roles he fancied.  He was also quite candid about the fact that, due to his break from acting, he wasn't getting that many offers anyway and what he was getting was mostly TV, with a lot of uncredited writing work.  The Shrunk reboot obviously wasn't a thing at that point.

As iconic as Louis Tully is there probably isn't much left to do with the character. He was pretty much shoehorned into GBII as it was. Some nice moments but he's just kind of "there" because it's the sequel.

I've got a huge soft spot for 2 (which, I'm pleased to see, tends to be looked on more favourably now) in general, but he does have my favourite line in the whole film - "my guys are still under a judicial mistrangement order - that blue thing I got from her".

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 18, 2020, 10:16:10 AM

I've got a huge soft spot for 2 (which, I'm pleased to see, tends to be looked on more favourably now) in general, but he does have my favourite line in the whole film - "my guys are still under a judicial mistrangement order - that blue thing I got from her".

Yeah it's pretty great. Just hard to match up to one of the greatest movies ever. Still, one time, I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you.

Shaky

OK, admittedly he is funny during the court scene. But the rest - shagging Janine, suiting up, forming a vague double-act with Slimer - all seems a bit of an afterthought just to give him stuff to do. Moranis is so great in the first film, and the character so pivotal, that it definitely feels like a step down.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: famethrowa on June 18, 2020, 10:54:00 AM
Yeah it's pretty great. Just hard to match up to one of the greatest movies ever. Still, one time, I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you.

The scene in Louis's party where he's talking about the food and how he only invited clients so he can write off the whole thing as a business expense was entirely improvised.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 18, 2020, 10:16:10 AM
he just said he was enjoying his own private life and was in the fortunate position to be able to pick and choose the roles he fancied. 

Yeah I can't say I blame him. If I had enough money to just relax and enjoy existing without pissing about turning up to film shoots at 5am to get makeup slapped on me, I'd do the same. People are surprised he didn't want to make a cameo in the female Ghostbusters film, but why would he? Not sure I'd want to fly out to Hollywood for a day's shooting and probably not much cash just to make a two-minute cameo in a film with little reason to exist other than Universal or whoever realising they have Ghostbusters in their big vault of properties. Not if I didn't need the money.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on June 18, 2020, 01:21:04 PM
Yeah I can't say I blame him. If I had enough money to just relax and enjoy existing without pissing about turning up to film shoots at 5am to get makeup slapped on me, I'd do the same. People are surprised he didn't want to make a cameo in the female Ghostbusters film, but why would he? Not sure I'd want to fly out to Hollywood for a day's shooting and probably not much cash just to make a two-minute cameo in a film with little reason to exist other than Universal or whoever realising they have Ghostbusters in their big vault of properties. Not if I didn't need the money.

From memory he did initially say yes to a cameo in GB 2016, but that was VERY early on in pre-production (before any of the others had agreed to cameos) and before there was a script.  Obviously when he saw the script - or the beginnings of one - he told them to do one.

Mister Six

Replies From View

They couldn't even be bothered to paint his boots.

Replies From View

Not sure if those "slimed" figures came before or after the glow-in-the-dark ones.

Glow-in-the-dark toys were generally awesome but there was a limit to what you could effectively portray using that translucent greenish plastic.

beanheadmcginty

They missed a trick by not inviting on the redheaded overacting extra who turns up in all the crowd scenes. He's even got his own Facebook fan page and sometimes responds to it, so would've definitely been onboard.

Rev+

Quote from: Shaky on June 18, 2020, 05:50:31 AM
He'll be reprising his Honey, I Shrunk... role soon so obviously he can be coaxed back under the right circumstances.

Might be misremembering, but was wasn't the reason he was able to effectively retire down to how well-negotiated his contract was for the first film?  I think he has a stake in whatever is done with the franchise, so it's maybe not too surprising that he'd be coming back for an amplified payday.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 18, 2020, 02:19:30 PM
From memory he did initially say yes to a cameo in GB 2016, but that was VERY early on in pre-production (before any of the others had agreed to cameos) and before there was a script.  Obviously when he saw the script - or the beginnings of one - he told them to do one.

QuoteWhen the new all-female Ghostbusters reboot arrives in theaters next summer, nearly all the living actors from the original 1980s films — Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, et al. — will be doing cameos. But not Rick Moranis, who was offered the chance to appear in a walk-on role but turned it down. "I wish them well," says the 62-year-old comedic legend, who's so stunned by the outcry over his absence in the film that he decided to grant a rare interview with THR. "I hope it's terrific. But it just makes no sense to me. Why would I do just one day of shooting on something I did 30 years ago?"

Source. And fucking hell he looks great for his age!

Shaky

Quote from: Rev+ on June 18, 2020, 11:52:54 PM
Might be misremembering, but was wasn't the reason he was able to effectively retire down to how well-negotiated his contract was for the first film?  I think he has a stake in whatever is done with the franchise, so it's maybe not too surprising that he'd be coming back for an amplified payday.

Not sure but that would make sense.