Author Topic: Control  (Read 576 times)

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
Control
« on: June 16, 2020, 12:43:00 AM »
Picked this up as it's 50% off in the Xbox Store (and will be for another ten hours as I type).

It's from Remedy, the makers of Quantum Break, that flawed but interesting game which had some great ideas but which left me wondering what could have been. Control feels like some of those flaws have been thrashed out and the world has been fleshed out more.

I'm finding it really immersive so far. It's got that Deus Ex thing of making you want to explore and check everything, and the Prey thing of the lore actually being interesting and giving useful hints, supernatural abilities and being able to chuck sofas at enemies using the environment to your advantage. The lore is a bit Scarfolk at times, lots of creepy old propaganda videos and posters and government documents with big chunks REDACTED.

The combat feels tough but fair so far, though there are still boss fights and there's a bit of a learning curve figuring out a strategy to defeat them. It looks like there's more of that figuring out what combination of attacks to use and this time repeating fights with different approaches is satisfying rather than frustrating ("Better not, Jack!).

Oh yes, and you can actually crouch in this one! Being able to map the controller has made it a bit more satisfying too.

Big improvement on Quantum Break if anyone is thinking of giving this a go!

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
Re: Control
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »
Cor, these floating spider/human Exorcist-type things are creepy AF.

I think it's also got that MGSV thing of NPCs adapting to your playstyle just when you think you've got them figured out. They've started shooting at me from behind fences so I can't hurt them back by chucking sofas at them. Sneaky fuckers.

Cracking game this.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
Yeah whilst none of the gameplay mechanics are new to the table, it's just all very tightly desined, and has a great graphical style. A couple of the bosses took me a few tries, until I decided to wipe out the grunts first and then rinse the boss with charge shot for the shield then slam them with desks and office chairs.  There are some invulnerable spots in each boss area, but as you say they can adapt and move around to fuck you, but it's a really balanced difficulty. I haven't played Quantum Leap, but this had been well received, so good luck to them.

Zetetic

• Worrying the carcass of an old song.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:31:41 PM »
Wish you'd posted this when it was extremely cheap in the Epic Store sale, to be honest, Blue Jam. You've tipped me over the edge for the next time it's in that sort of price range though!

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:19 AM »
I haven't played Quantum Leap, but this had been well received, so good luck to them.

Quantum Break revolves around a brilliant scientist and his techbro business partner. You are both the loser brother of the former and the loser best mate of the latter, but naturally only you can stop their ingenious machine from destroying the world.

The machine creates rifts in spacetime so you get to play with some nifty time-travel powers which allow you to freeze enemies, dodge attacks, slow down time to get more shots in etc. It's inventive and figuring out ways to combine those powers to the best effect is a lot of fun. It also looks great and has a good story with good lore and world-building.

Unfortunately it falls down by being something of an ambitious and high-concept experiment. Each chapter (bar the final one) is accompanied by a live-action segment which tells the story you have just played through as an episode of a four-part drama series. There are some big names in the cast and it's all very slick and big-budget, but it just leaves you wishing more of that budget had gone on the gameplay and things like making the movement less clunky, the gunplay more satisfying and the boss fights less frustrating. Also the less said about that infuriating final boss fight the better (it's the only final battle I have ever given up on). It's a real shame as there's a very good unfinished game in there.

I had been hoping Control would be that good game Quantum Break could have been and now I'm at the start of chapter 4 I'm delighted to say that it is. As you say the mechanics are nothing new but it all just works really well and it has that satisfying "they've thought of everything" feel and it's generally just a cut above your average mindless FPS.

So far my only gripe is that some of the battles have a few too many waves of enemies and it's a bit of a chore having to start them from scratch and repeatedly having to deal with the easier enemies, but the save system still makes sense to me and it's still satisfying trying to figure out new approaches every time you respawn.

I'm also very impressed by how quickly the AI adapts to your playstyle. I just got the ability to lob grenades back at enemies, and after I started doing this pretty well they started chucking two at once, while my furniture-lobbing skills have evidently been noted and I can see enemies crouching and taking cover a bit more. I just started going for the headshot challenge and noticed enemies wearing helmets pretty soon afterwards.

I'm finding the whole thing a bit too immersive and absorbing tbh, good to have found myself a lockdown timesink though!

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Still not through this. This is the new Prey for me- I'm massively enjoying repeating battles, getting a bit further through them each time and then finally finding a load out and a strategy that works. Being a complete sidequest whore too so this will take me forever to finish, I'm just glad I started it while I had enough free time to sink into it.

Also doesn't Dr Casper Darling look like Vince Gilligan? Given the nature of this game I think this is more likely to be a homage to The X Files than to anything he's done since:

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Didnt think much of the story and cutscenes but the gameplay and boss fights were outstanding, flew under the radar this game I think

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 09:14:25 PM »
I just want to say, I'd LOVE to play a Quantum Leap game.

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 11:32:54 PM »
Didnt think much of the story and cutscenes but the gameplay and boss fights were outstanding, flew under the radar this game I think

I have massively enjoyed the boss fights in this and that is saying a lot. I normally loathe boss fights but this game gets them absolutely right and I have found them all immensely satisfying.

Oh wow, the ashtray maze...

Blue Jam

• Notorious neon nobhead
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 05:07:07 PM »
Getting Quantum Break vibes from the Hedron Chamber battle. On the frustrating side of bastard hard. Will have to go back and grind a bit before attempting it again.

The bit with the mirror though- wow. Has any game done anything cool and freaky like that before?

Tags: