Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Control

Started by Blue Jam, June 16, 2020, 12:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Picked this up as it's 50% off in the Xbox Store (and will be for another ten hours as I type).

It's from Remedy, the makers of Quantum Break, that flawed but interesting game which had some great ideas but which left me wondering what could have been. Control feels like some of those flaws have been thrashed out and the world has been fleshed out more.

I'm finding it really immersive so far. It's got that Deus Ex thing of making you want to explore and check everything, and the Prey thing of the lore actually being interesting and giving useful hints, supernatural abilities and being able to chuck sofas at enemies using the environment to your advantage. The lore is a bit Scarfolk at times, lots of creepy old propaganda videos and posters and government documents with big chunks
Spoiler alert
REDACTED
[close]

The combat feels tough but fair so far, though there are still boss fights and there's a bit of a learning curve figuring out a strategy to defeat them. It looks like there's more of that figuring out what combination of attacks to use and this time repeating fights with different approaches is satisfying rather than frustrating ("Better not, Jack!).

Oh yes, and you can actually crouch in this one! Being able to map the controller has made it a bit more satisfying too.

Big improvement on Quantum Break if anyone is thinking of giving this a go!

Blue Jam

Cor, these floating spider/human Exorcist-type things are creepy AF.

I think it's also got that MGSV thing of NPCs adapting to your playstyle just when you think you've got them figured out. They've started shooting at me from behind fences so I can't hurt them back by chucking sofas at them. Sneaky fuckers.

Cracking game this.

Bazooka

Yeah whilst none of the gameplay mechanics are new to the table, it's just all very tightly desined, and has a great graphical style. A couple of the bosses took me a few tries, until I decided to wipe out the grunts first and then rinse the boss with charge shot for the shield then slam them with desks and office chairs.  There are some invulnerable spots in each boss area, but as you say they can adapt and move around to fuck you, but it's a really balanced difficulty. I haven't played Quantum Leap, but this had been well received, so good luck to them.

Zetetic

Wish you'd posted this when it was extremely cheap in the Epic Store sale, to be honest, Blue Jam. You've tipped me over the edge for the next time it's in that sort of price range though!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bazooka on June 16, 2020, 09:45:40 PMI haven't played Quantum Leap, but this had been well received, so good luck to them.

Quantum Break revolves around a brilliant scientist and his techbro business partner. You are both the loser brother of the former and the loser best mate of the latter, but naturally only you can stop their ingenious machine from destroying the world.

The machine creates rifts in spacetime so you get to play with some nifty time-travel powers which allow you to freeze enemies, dodge attacks, slow down time to get more shots in etc. It's inventive and figuring out ways to combine those powers to the best effect is a lot of fun. It also looks great and has a good story with good lore and world-building.

Unfortunately it falls down by being something of an ambitious and high-concept experiment. Each chapter (bar the final one) is accompanied by a live-action segment which tells the story you have just played through as an episode of a four-part drama series. There are some big names in the cast and it's all very slick and big-budget, but it just leaves you wishing more of that budget had gone on the gameplay and things like making the movement less clunky, the gunplay more satisfying and the boss fights less frustrating. Also the less said about that infuriating final boss fight the better (it's the only final battle I have ever given up on). It's a real shame as there's a very good unfinished game in there.

I had been hoping Control would be that good game Quantum Break could have been and now I'm at the start of chapter 4 I'm delighted to say that it is. As you say the mechanics are nothing new but it all just works really well and it has that satisfying "they've thought of everything" feel and it's generally just a cut above your average mindless FPS.

So far my only gripe is that some of the battles have a few too many waves of enemies and it's a bit of a chore having to start them from scratch and repeatedly having to deal with the easier enemies, but the save system still makes sense to me and it's still satisfying trying to figure out new approaches every time you respawn.

I'm also very impressed by how quickly the AI adapts to your playstyle. I just got the ability to lob grenades back at enemies, and after I started doing this pretty well they started chucking two at once, while my furniture-lobbing skills have evidently been noted and I can see enemies crouching and taking cover a bit more. I just started going for the headshot challenge and noticed enemies wearing helmets pretty soon afterwards.

I'm finding the whole thing a bit too immersive and absorbing tbh, good to have found myself a lockdown timesink though!

Blue Jam

Still not through this. This is the new Prey for me- I'm massively enjoying repeating battles, getting a bit further through them each time and then finally finding a load out and a strategy that works. Being a complete sidequest whore too so this will take me forever to finish, I'm just glad I started it while I had enough free time to sink into it.

Also doesn't Dr Casper Darling look like Vince Gilligan? Given the nature of this game I think this is more likely to be a homage to The X Files than to anything he's done since:

Didnt think much of the story and cutscenes but the gameplay and boss fights were outstanding, flew under the radar this game I think

bgmnts

I just want to say, I'd LOVE to play a Quantum Leap game.

Blue Jam

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on June 26, 2020, 09:13:13 PM
Didnt think much of the story and cutscenes but the gameplay and boss fights were outstanding, flew under the radar this game I think

I have massively enjoyed the boss fights in this and that is saying a lot. I normally loathe boss fights but this game gets them absolutely right and I have found them all immensely satisfying.

Oh wow, the ashtray maze...

Blue Jam

Getting Quantum Break vibes from the
Spoiler alert
Hedron Chamber
[close]
battle. On the frustrating side of bastard hard. Will have to go back and grind a bit before attempting it again.

The bit with the
Spoiler alert
mirror
[close]
though- wow. Has any game done anything cool and freaky like that before?

Puce Moment

I'm giving this some serious thought although it's quite pricey. I like that it looks to have Portal elements mixed within the story.

wooders1978

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 29, 2020, 03:52:08 PM
I'm giving this some serious thought although it's quite pricey. I like that it looks to have Portal elements mixed within the story.

It'm about halfway through right now but dropped it for other games, make if that what you will!
If you're talking about "portal" the game, you will be disappointed   

It's an average to good game - it's aesthetic is good with a cool vibe using shadows and introducing new areas with a movie style "chapter introduction" that's pretty rad (think hereditary or some similar film did it recently)

Combat is decent enough, storyline appears to be ok - all in all though it's somehow feels a bit lacklustre and I'd definitely do not recommend you pay full price (or anything near)

Blue Jam

wooders1978

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 30, 2020, 02:13:16 AM
Well, I liked it.

I liked it as well so far - but you didn't pay full price, I didn't pay full price, the advice is, play it but don't pay full price surely?

Blue Jam

Mobius

Got this last night cus it was cheap on the Playstation Store

Only got to play for like 45 minutes, but enjoyed it and it looks intriguing and interesting - was just enjoying reading the documents and stuff, and smashing documents off of tables is fun.

Mobius

I'm a cynical miserable gamer who is rarely impressed but this is a cool game!

Nice graphics, colourful and weird. Combat is fun. The lore/world and all that is really interesting, right up my alley. Intriguing and mysterious without being wanky or pretentious. The telekinesis power is ace.

wooders1978

Happy for you mate - I must return soon, just f'in up the valkries in GOW and I'll be resuming

There's a hotel bit,  if you get stuck let me know as it is not obvious how to solve it (well *I* didn't think so anyway)

Mobius

The hardest bit so far is navigating the area! I've got to find 'Black Rock Processing' and I just seem to be running around in circles.

wooders1978

Yes also tricky & caught me out - different levels are not well identified in the map - look out for lifts

Mobius

Stuck on this Salvadore boss fight in the Panopticon.

Think I need to grind a bit and get some more abilities.

Bazooka

Quote from: Mobius on September 06, 2020, 10:05:15 PM
Stuck on this Salvadore boss fight in the Panopticon.

Don't believe all the videos on YouTube about hiding behind the stairs, he can move around. I just used the Magnum type shot whatever it's called to wipe out the henchman including the unanimated ones on the ceiling, then shoot him to lower his shield and run around using throw crap at him. He took me a few tries, but yeah don't focus on him until the goons are all down, to be honest try using the rock shield that I always forgot about through the whole game.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on September 06, 2020, 10:05:15 PM

This is a very good idea. Especially if you're upgrading the telekinetic furniture-chucking ability. Get that up as high as you can ASAP.

Anyone been for a wander
Spoiler alert
below the research floor
[close]
yet? Stumbling upon that was a delight.

Mobius

Quote from: Bazooka on September 07, 2020, 12:27:23 AM
try using the rock shield that I always forgot about through the whole game.

Yeah I completely forget this exists.

I do feel like there's some hidden areas I've missed or something, so going to go a complete run through of everywhere I've been so far.

I've come across a few rooms that are full of like weird bacteria poison and it damages me when I get too close. Am I not yet at the stage of being able to access those?

Can you gain ability points just from grinding enemies? Or is it specifically side quests etc that grant those. I know grinding is good just to earn materials for upgrading weapons.

Blue Jam

Also I have recently been watching Corporate and wondering why Christian DeVille the evil boss looked so familiar- it's him from out of the live action bits of Quantum Break! I think the four episodes are all on YouTube but the game itself is worth a go if you've got Game Pass. I wouldn't bother otherwise, just get straight to Control.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on September 07, 2020, 12:44:05 AM
I've come across a few rooms that are full of like weird bacteria poison and it damages me when I get too close. Am I not yet at the stage of being able to access those?

There is someone you can talk to who may be able to provide you with something that can help...

Quote from: Mobius on September 07, 2020, 12:44:05 AMCan you gain ability points just from grinding enemies? Or is it specifically side quests etc that grant those. I know grinding is good just to earn materials for upgrading weapons.

iirc you get ability points from completing missions and side quests. Look in the menu and it will tell you what the rewards for each one are. I think you can also get ability points from stumbling upon those weird poisonous rooms and other hidden locations.

Also: Go and chat to that weird janitor. He may have a few jobs for you.

Mobius

Cheers again! I've done cleaning the trash and talking to plants for that Finnish Janitor but I'll pay him another visit.

I've also collected mould for a scientist, but that quest seems to be stuck now at 'wait for her to do something' so I guess I need to progress the main story.

I remember going down to some place with a bit of jumping and dropping then getting spat at by poison things and running away, so I'll see if I can find that place again as I am guessing it was a hidden area.

I'm trying not to google stuff and spoil the game, and it looks so nice and combat is fun so I don't really mind retracing my steps and triple checking everything. Plus I am sure there are some previously locked Level 5 access doors I can now use. There are other locked doors that don't have an Access Level that I couldn't see any way to unlock, so wonder if I missed a battery near them

Blue Jam

Just a heads-up that this is coming to Xbox Game Pass tomorrow.

bgmnts

Was going to download it but my console, and it seems a lot of others atm, is crashing quite often. Unsure if its a software issue but I've noticed it mostly with games pass games, even games i've bought and own they start up as Games Pass games. Wondering if thats fucked up.

Thursday

I played this a couple of months ago and found it quite good, but I don't know why they had to bother with sidequests and skill upgrades and instead just kept things a consistent balanced difficulty throughout. In the end things started to get a bit frustrating because I was getting underpowered.