Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rain, lightning and thunder

Started by Puce Moment, June 16, 2020, 02:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

The top bit of the flat I'm renting is a loft conversion, which aside from the primary benefit of no cunt neighbours making noise (unless you count the gang of orgiastic wood pigeons endlessly cooing, shitting and fucking on the roof), means there's a skylight window to watch the lovely rain through.

Got caught in the storm the same day that plane got struck by lightning over London, there was about a second between rolls of thunder and lightning flashes where I was. That was fun.

Probably pretty shit for anyone sleeping rough or having to work outdoors.

Puce Moment

As always, yes, most of life's joys comes with a disclaimer that some poor fucker is hating this. But turning off the lights, opening the windows and enjoying the storm is fucking lovely.

However, this is coming from someone that uses a Rainstorm app to get to sleeo every night.

Cerys

I was promised a storm.  The BBC said so.  Did I get a storm?  Did I bollocks.  I'm promised one for this afternoon, as well.  If I don't get one I will be complaining to the management.  I had enough empty storm promises last year.  This cannot be allowed to happen again.

steve98

Unfortunately just "Light precipitation", for me.

Imagine if songs with the word "rain" in them (Such as, off the top of me head "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head") had it replaced with "light precipitation"? How  strange that would be.

buttgammon

Quote from: buttgammon on June 16, 2020, 10:12:54 PM
Dublin now:

Rain: 10/10
Electrical storage: 3/10

Just saw this, one of the strangest autocorrects of recent times.

Wee Jock Poo-Pong McPlop

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on June 16, 2020, 11:09:26 PM
Nah you gotta go out in it, go for a walk next to the tallest trees you can with a big fuckoff raincoat.

Loves it.

Hope this is more to your liking now!

Got an image of an eyore hunched in the torrential on his roof in cwmbran

Puce Moment

Fucking smashing down. My wife is from the mid-west USA and when the sky goes THAT colour she goes into a bit of a tornado panic.

Not here in the UK - just lovely hard rain and distant thunder that lulls you into a cosy stupor.

Attila

Was promised rain and storms here yesterday -- blazing sun instead.

Was supposed to rain all afternoon here -- blazing sun all day instead.

Forecast for tomorrow was supposed to be mostly cloud and rain -- now it's sunshine instead.

Not only do I prefer grey and rainy, but especially this time of year, I need it to wash away with pollen. I've been bleurgh with hayfever again since the weekend and I'm fed up with it. There are strawberries and raspberries now come in in Mr Attila's allotment (which is how he knew they were ripe -- I get a headful of hayfever bang on this time every year), and just being outside for a few minutes can whip up a sinus headache and itchy eyes for the rest of the day for me. I didn't get hay fever til I came to the UK. Boo.

peanutbutter

Had like two weeks of thunder being predicted tomorrow, tbh it's really fucking with my head at this stage as I wind up putting non-urgent things off, but I've now been doing it for ages.

Gotta be good for stopping people from totally breaking lockdown, at least. Would quite like an actual stormy fucker of a day though.

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 17, 2020, 05:01:59 PM
Hope this is more to your liking now!

Got an image of an eyore hunched in the torrential on his roof in cwmbran

I do kind of hunch but I daren't go on the roof of my flat.

No, a quiet walk down the river is all one needs.

The rain was pathetic today though.

Attila

Quote from: peanutbutter on June 17, 2020, 06:25:42 PM
Gotta be good for stopping people from totally breaking lockdown, at least. Would quite like an actual stormy fucker of a day though.

I timed my food shop last week to coincide with a big rainstorm, absolutely tipping down in sheets. No queue at all -- rocked up, went in, got my bits, back out again like a Viking on a raid of a Frankish church, just like in the old days.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on June 17, 2020, 06:26:06 PM
I do kind of hunch but I daren't go on the roof of my flat.

No, a quiet walk down the river is all one needs.

The rain was pathetic today though.

really? it was like a cloud popped over here in newport

i think im only imagining you hunched cos your donkey avatar

Puce Moment

Quote from: Attila on June 17, 2020, 06:36:07 PM
I timed my food shop last week to coincide with a big rainstorm, absolutely tipping down in sheets. No queue at all -- rocked up, went in, got my bits, back out again like a Viking on a raid of a Frankish church, just like in the old days.

I just did the same! Nobody in the co-op and fuckloads of offers! I bought chicken breast fillets that usually cost over £4 for 59p! My cat is delighted.

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 17, 2020, 07:39:24 PM
really? it was like a cloud popped over here in newport

i think im only imagining you hunched cos your donkey avatar

Nah yeah it did utterly lash it down half an hour ago. Would hate to be homeless in this jesus.

Cerys

Cold Meat Platter

Cerys

You have very distinctive pubes.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Cerys on June 18, 2020, 05:08:56 AM
You have very distinctive pubes.

Why thank you. I won't pretend it's the first time I've been told that.

Sheffield Wednesday

Went out playing golf in my chain mail coat but the only shock I got was that the course was closed due to a Covid-19 outbreak 😂😂😂

The actual joke is that I'm not shocked at all by this, because the members have behaved irresponsibly throughout this period of restrictions.

Sebastian Cobb

Not even in my top 3 tribute acts, sorry.

Puce Moment

Battleship grey sky. Beautiful.

Attila

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 17, 2020, 07:44:55 PM
I just did the same! Nobody in the co-op and fuckloads of offers! I bought chicken breast fillets that usually cost over £4 for 59p! My cat is delighted.

In our dept 'away day' meeting yesterday from 10am -  5pm (ie online in teams; absolute banger of a headache when it was over as I have to wear headphones to be able to hear everyone, and 'that person' in the dept was having horrendous feedback every time she went to speak...which was often and prolonger. 'That person' being the one who ALWAYS has a multi-part difficult question at the very end when the chairman of the meeting says, 'Right, that just about wraps it up unless anyone else has anything to say?...')

So when I woke up before 6 this morning and realised I could hear rain falling onto the stones and potted plants below the bedroom window I think that's the first time in a long time I've had a big cheshire cat grin cross my face.

Hit up the shops asap this morning while it was still tipping down -- again, no queue, just rocked up and into the store. Awesome -- was in and out from door back out the door again in about  20 mins.

timebug

Last Wednesday was red hot here, absolute scorcher; then around teatime, the skies turned grey/black and we had absolutely torrential rain, with violent thunderclaps and jagged fork lightning, for about two hours. Brilliant to view, watching the rain hit the road outside,and splash back up about two to three feet high! (I don't speak metric,being an old duffer) The lightning really was spectacular, better than  most CGI'd crap in blockbuster films. And of course, there was that wondeful fresh smell/feel when it was over, as everything had cooled off and was renewed with life (as it were!). Great stuff, but I have to admit, I am glad I was not out and about in it!

Buelligan

Quote from: Kryton on June 16, 2020, 11:06:06 PM
Loving the rain, loving the thunder and that specific smell that comes with the storms.

Yeah, that smell.  Makes me feel like I could will myself straight upwards into the clouds and disappear.  My heart's wired up right to god.  The mightiest emptiness of being yourself.

Pingers

Mad wind, thunder, lightning and hail stones the size of chickpeas in Sheffield right now

Psybro

Quote from: Pingers on June 26, 2020, 04:07:13 PM
Mad wind, thunder, lightning and hail stones the size of chickpeas in Sheffield right now

In the far west end of Sheffield and it's missed us entirely this time, feel cheated.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Pingers on June 26, 2020, 04:07:13 PM

I'm enormously jealous, the BBC weather man personally promised a fuck off big storm from about 7am this morning but there was a minor splash of rain and since then it's been ridiculously hot, I'm supposed to be high energy when I teach online but I'm struggling to even raise a smile right now. It's supposed to now arrive at 6am but I'm not trusting that cunt again.

Puce Moment

It's so fucking warm I wanto smash something.

Looking forward to the thunderstorm winging its way here - set to arrive at 4am. Might stay up.

JesusAndYourBush

Monsoon levels of rain right now in Leeds.
EDIT: And 15 mins later it's over.