Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:34:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wife is pregnant, gonna get a tadpole

Started by Blinder Data, June 17, 2020, 05:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on June 17, 2020, 06:38:43 PM
I got a lot of parenting tips from https://www.babycentre.co.uk/

My son is now two and a bit. The terrible twos are more your child has no concept of danger and puts themselves in a series of dangerous situations. Your job is to be a health and safety officer.

When my son was two and a half he was an absolute cunt. I actively hated him for ages and would stay late at work and go in early to avoid having to see him. He's 3 now and is my favourite person in the world who can reduce me to fits of laughter or floods of tears with a gesture. Sometimes both with the same one. I'm very emotional at the moment. 

Tony Tony Tony

Single best bit of advice I got on Mrs TTT and myself having a baby came from my Dad (who knew about these things)...

In advance of the birth secretly buy a very very very lovely present for your wife (jewellery is preferred obvs). Then when your wife hands you the baby for the first time you can hand her the gift, remember it should be very very very lovely, after all she is handing you the biggest gift you ever gonna get. Then whilst she opens the first ever pressie from your newborn son/daughter you get your first cuddle with the alien that will rule the next eighteen years and more of your lives.

Only advice I got to give is go to one of those nearly new baby equipment sales they hold (usually NCT) on a regular basis. The more pristine the items are the less useful they  will have been so avoid. Had we done this I could have saved spaffing over 100 quid on a baby sling we used once and a couple of hundred on a stroller that tipped over backwards in the least breath of wind. (PM me if you want brand names).

But above all, enjoy.   

pancreas

Oh great. Another centrist wastrel enters the world.

Schmo Diddley

My daughter is 7 months old. Tips from me would be:

- a next to me crib was the difference between baby screaming all night and sleeping all night. Definitely get one
- there's an app called pregnancy+ or something that was good
- the birth plan sounds like a load of bollocks but you need to be prepared to decide if your wife needs an epidural or not when she's screaming in pain. I didn't realise she was close to giving birth and the midwife was useless so she had an epidural because she was screaming for one. Ended up having an episiotomy which is traumatic at the time and horrendous after.
- second hand clothes bundles on eBay or Facebook market place are great
- try and get grandma to pay for the pram & car kit set as they are extortionate
- decide between you and your mrs what the ground rules are for each having time to yourself. You both need a break as you'll be dog tired and stressed out

Blinder Data

Quote from: pancreas on June 18, 2020, 10:28:55 AM
Oh great. Another centrist wastrel enters the world.

I laughed.

Thanks for advice, all. Hopefully the 'rona will chill out a bit and hospital restrictions will be eased by the time it arrives, otherwise I'm gonna be like a dad in the 50s, only turning up when it's nearly done to give my wife a physically distanced pat on the head.

Cerys

Congratulations!  Sprogs are noisy, smelly, tiring and so, so worth it.

Never mind these frog and tadpole euphemisms. I will engorge myself, in my trousers, and I will stud your wife. That's what we all want here. It's okay to just say it.

thenoise

We liked 'Your baby week by week' - written by actual doctors so not a load of hippy shit, and generally leaning towards the 'reasuring'. I'm also still reading 'baby steps', a psychology based one about development 0-2 years. The 'gentle' series ('parenting', 'discipline', 'potty training' etc) is worth a look if you don't want to tell at them.

But truth is you shouldn't be reading books but WRITING them - get your wife to journal like hell and snap away like a Japanese tourist. You will be AMAZED how much you forget from pregnancy and the early days, things you are convinced you will never forget, so document them and start now!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 18, 2020, 08:52:46 AM
They say a problem shared is a problem halved.

are you suggesting they slice a baby in half?

bloody hell mun

Ferris

The first 2 months are fucking shit, don't hate yourself if you don't have a wonderful time. It gets way better, and crucially it ends. The shit times finish and then it is much better. Hard to remember at the time.

Definitely do sleep training - you might feel like a bit of a bastard for 3 nights but by god it's worth it.

Don't pay full price for any expensive baby stuff, it's always on sale at some point.

Take as much help as other people will give you.

If a baby item seems like a gimmick, it almost definitely is.

Cerys

Buy the car seat new, though.  They need to be undamaged.

ajsmith2

Congratulations Blinder and family! Our own wee baba girl just got born just 8 days ago. Don't really feel I got the authority to give you any great sage advice from the dazed eye of the hurricane, but if any wisdom eventually comes to mind I'll try and add it here. All I can unhelpfully offer just now is that all they say bad and good is true. A hackily but accurately repurposed modern phrase that keeps bubbling to the top of my mind is 'newborn parenting is a hell of a drug'.

Ferris

Oh a useful thing!

Get those "kimono" style onesies until you are more confident dressing the nipper. They're a billion times easier than the button bastards. Uniqlo do them, I think gap do as well.

Also if you get given random assortments of baby clothes, organize and store them by size. We've been working through box by box of slightly larger clothes as we go, makes it easier.

Blinder Data

just an update to say the tadpole arrived yesterday. we have decided to call the baby Anthony Gordon Peter Alastair Data. hopefully over time she'll grow into her name.

in all seriousness, any woman who has given birth is amazing and midwives are amazing and doctors are amazing. it's amazing. our labour felt brutally long but then every one is mad and intense in their own way. but she's on planet earth and seems OK and is amazing. they're coming home tomorrow, so a chekky couple of beers for me tonight to celebrate my last ever night of total peace and quiet in the house. cheers!

I like to think my life will be totally different from now on so I'll be on here less but I can't promise anything, sorry

chveik

Gregory Torso

Congratulations mate, sure you'll be a top dad!

Glebe

Congrats Blinder and Mrs. Ada Blinder and all the best for little Tadpole Blinder!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 02, 2021, 08:33:51 PM

I'll be on here less but I can't promise anything, sorry

Ferris said that too

Beagle 2

Many congratulations to you both! Hope you get a sleepy one. It all comes more naturally than you think it will.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 02, 2021, 08:56:43 PM
Ferris said that too

Turns out the authorities are pretty toothless so you can neglect away with abandon, keep up the quantity of posts, and the majority of posters won't notice the even-lower quality content of your post (in my experience).

Congrats! Delighted for you. Get some sleep, that's my advice.

The first few weeks are tough and don't feel guilty if you aren't enjoying it. We found it rough going for the first 6 weeks, it gets better once they start smiling. Feel free to PM if you're at your wits end or have any questions. I won't have any answers but Ferris Jr is growing like a weed so we can't have gone too far wrong.

All the best!

Jasha

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 02, 2021, 08:33:51 PM
it's amazing. our labour felt brutally long

Mrs D.Ata may have found her part of the labour a teeny bit more brutal and a tiny bit longer.

Anyway at least you'll have someone to jump on you in bed of a Sunday morning again soon

Janie Jones

Aww, congratulations. Please call him Ron. Or Hans.

Icehaven

Brian Freeze

She will blame you for having a shit date for a birthday though.

"Why couldn't you keep it in your pants dad?"

Congratulations to you all though. Have fun x
I found the first few weeks the easiest as sleeping or screaming or puking or shitting at random times and generally being bolloxed was acceptable and expected.

Cerys

Congratulations!  Babies are worth every soggy, noisy, smelly moment.  Just be warned that they tend to be soggy, noisy and smelly themselves, so you may need to work out a rota so the moments don't clash too much.

Noodle Lizard

Good job, Mr & Mrs Data. Be sure to let us know once the muconium shit is out.

I'm sure you're well-prepared, but like Ferris said don't feel bad if you find yourself struggling with it all - you're probably supposed to, or else it's just really terrible design by god. I had a very rough time of it for the first six months to a year, but now I'm my daughter's best friend apparently, so it was ultimately worth it.

Congratulations, enjoy every moment as it flies by.