Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dame Vera has Carked It

Started by Tony Tony Tony, June 18, 2020, 09:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Dame Vera Lynn has died today at the venerable age of 103.

Anyone have her on this years celeb death list?... she was a banker

Captain Tom Moore's bricking it now.

BlodwynPig

I was going to say *shrugs*, the people have Tom Moore now.

Butchers Blind

103, its no age is it.  Gone too soon.

jobotic

Not word from Corbyn so far. Traitor.

Head Gardener

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Young Vera Lynn looked a bit like Daisy Haggard, has anyone noticed that?

Danger Man

She'll be playing snooker with Willie Thorne now.

Probably playing it very badly.

Keebleman

Her core message of "We'll Meet Again" now has a theological dimension.

She'll be six feet under the white cliffs of Dover.

Fambo Number Mive

Keebleman

My dad was in the RAF during the war and he couldn't stand her.  "Bloody Vera Lynn!" he'd say.  "She was just trying to cheer you up!" I'd point out, but he wasn't having it.  He hated Glenn Miller too.

Norton Canes

idunnosomename

I for one am delighted she is dead.

SteveDave

Name another one hit wonder who's dined out on their slim window of success for longer.

Vera, Vera, what has become of you?

Keebleman

Quote from: SteveDave on June 18, 2020, 10:28:35 AM
Name another one hit wonder who's dined out on their slim window of success for longer.

No, that would be recently dead Ricky Valance.  Lynnmania went on for years.  In the first ever British chart in 1952 Dame Vera had 3 of the 12 records on the list.  25%!!

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Keebleman on June 18, 2020, 10:22:32 AM
My dad was in the RAF during the war and he couldn't stand her.  "Bloody Vera Lynn!" he'd say.  "She was just trying to cheer you up!" I'd point out, but he wasn't having it.  He hated Glenn Miller too.

With all due respect to your old man, he sounds a right misery. Did he ever hold forth on Gracie Fields or George Formby?

Petey Pate

If we had done a death pool this year she would have been worth a lot of points.

Keebleman

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 18, 2020, 10:31:38 AM
With all due respect to your old man, he sounds a right misery. Did he ever hold forth on Gracie Fields or George Formby?

Well I hated George Formby enough for both of us.  Can't remember any strong feelings either way towards our Gracie.  But yeah, he probably wasn't much fun to have up in the bomber when they wanted to put on something cheery on the way to and from a raid. (Or were the planes back then not equipped with in-travel entertainment systems?)

Paul Calf

George Formby was a fantastic bloke. His wife was even better:

QuoteThere's a great story from 1946 when he toured the pre-Apartheid South Africa with Beryl. They instantly made an impression by refusing to play racially-segregated venues. This came to a head when Formby embraced a young black audience member who had presented Beryl with a box of chocolates. The incident came to the attention of National Party leader Daniel François Malan (who later introduced apartheid). Malan had the arrogance to phone the indomitable Beryl to complain about the incident and was perfectly put in his place. Beryl replied,

"Why don't you piss off you horrible little man?"

https://thequietus.com/articles/04780-why-george-formby-was-the-first-modern-pop-star-by-john-robb

SteveDave

Quote from: Keebleman on June 18, 2020, 10:31:05 AM
No, that would be recently dead Ricky Valance.  Lynnmania went on for years.  In the first ever British chart in 1952 Dame Vera had 3 of the 12 records on the list.  25%!!

He wasn't brought out whenever La Bamba was re-released on DVD though like DVL was with anything WW2 related.

nb- I'm aware he wasn't the one in La Bamba just re-named that to be a bit like the dead one in the plane who wasn't Buddy Holly or the Chunky Dancer. Although upon wiki-ing him it appears he didn't choose the state name to be like Ritchie Valens. Chinny Dave Spencer.

shiftwork2

How do some people manage to live so long?  I'm hoping to make it to my 50s.  103 is just taking the piss.

Danger Man

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 18, 2020, 11:00:03 AM
I'm hoping to make it to my 50s. 

Never going to happen. Sorry.

Tony Tony Tony

How do some people manage to live so long?  I'm hoping to make it to my 50s.  103 is just taking the piss.

Yes, but you do look 103

SteveDave

The OG "We'll Meet Again" is just her and a Novachord and is spooking me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xrofiEa4w

The orchestral version is a re-recording from 1953 so "during the woh-er" people were listening to this spooky ass keyboard business.

Brundle-Fly

She was already well into being middle-aged when The Beatles arrived and probably met Ed Sheeran. That I find strange.

Keebleman

Quote from: SteveDave on June 18, 2020, 10:57:21 AM
nb- I'm aware he wasn't the one in La Bamba just re-named that to be a bit like the dead one in the plane who wasn't Buddy Holly or the Chunky Dancer. Although upon wiki-ing him it appears he didn't choose the state name to be like Ritchie Valens. Chinny Dave Spencer.

I was reading up about Mr 'Valance' yesterday.  There's a real pathos about his 'career', but not the sort that engenders sympathy.  He always insisted that the Ritchie Valens/Ricky Valance thing was a coincidence, which I don't buy; his one hit was a morbid, tasteless pile of drek; he would say with a straight face, "I didn't want to be a flash in the pan;" and he would claim to have had a number one in Australia with a song called Movin' Away of which I can find no trace.

Head Gardener

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Keebleman on June 18, 2020, 10:22:32 AM

a great man your dad, that's the kind of RAF personell that should be sort after