Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Other One

Started by Malcy, June 18, 2020, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Watched the whole lot of this last night on iPlayer. Really enjoyed it. Started off as a pilot in 2017 and a full series got added last week.

Simon Greenall dies and his family realise he had a mistress and daughter for nearly 30 years. Thought it was just Ok to begin with but the cast in it are great and make the characters likeable early in.

Rebecca Front & Siobhan Finneran are the wife and lover. Stephen Tompkinson & Caroline Quentin give great performances in their small roles.

Hoping it comes back for more.

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked the pilot from a couple of years ago but struggled with the first of the new batch (and was disappointed that Neil Pearson wasn't in it, and that he and Stephen Tompkinson weren't reunited). I really love the cast though so will give it at least one more chance.

paruses

Was looking for a thread on this as also just binged it.

Did not enjoy Stephen Tompkinson's turn - would have been OK but the voice felt too much. Thought everyone else was great though. Also pleased to see it was written by Holly Walsh who I am becoming more and more a fan of.

Loved Lauren Socha although have just watched the last of the England series so couldn't stop wondering why I was having feelings for Harvey.

Would like to see more of this but can't see where it would go.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 18, 2020, 10:33:10 PM
I quite liked the pilot from a couple of years ago but struggled with the first of the new batch (and was disappointed that Neil Pearson wasn't in it, and that he and Stephen Tompkinson weren't reunited). I really love the cast though so will give it at least one more chance.

Defo keep at it.

Quote from: paruses on June 18, 2020, 11:30:34 PM

Would like to see more of this but can't see where it would go.

I think they Walsh could come up with something and probably does have an idea in mind based in the ending. When I finished it it was early hours of the nor in and I would have been happy to stay up till lunchtime watching more.

paruses

Likewise. Have watched it all this afternoon and then discovered I still had a 7th episode to go so was really pleased.

I liked the Tompkinson character a lot and all the mahogany look - didn't you find the voice overkill? It was like he was doing an impression of something.

Have watched a few original Jonathan Creeks lately and it took me a while to place Caroline Quentin as I've not seen her in anything recently. Also Gita off Eastenders was really good too.

Just thinking about it there's a lot of "faces" in it altogether.

I did feel that the
Spoiler alert
bait and switch
[close]
ending was a full stop though albeit in the style of The Italian Job.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: paruses on June 18, 2020, 11:54:54 PM
I liked the Tompkinson character a lot and all the mahogany look - didn't you find the voice overkill? It was like he was doing an impression of something.
I thought he was doing a Paul McCartney, but it kind of jarred as no-one else was a caricature like his character, apart from maybe the excellent Australian Estate Agent.

paruses

Yes, exactly. To me it seemed like an impression of Peter Serafanowicz doing an impression of Paul McCartney.

Autopsy Turvey

Bah, I thought this was going to be about the late 70s Richard Briers/Michael Gambon sitcom, and got briefly excited about series two being on iPlayer.

Posted on the other thread.

I thought the two sisters, and the way they sold them becoming mates, were the best things about it. Binged in an afternoon, so it did something right.

Also, the taxi scene early on. Obvious, but chuckles.