Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wholly Negative Game Reviews

Started by Chedney Honks, June 18, 2020, 08:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Thinking about starting a website or blog for wholly negative game reviews because most games are so shit and boring. Just not sure whether there's an audience for unfiltered hate. What you guys think about it? I'm sick to death of the people pretending ohh that exists so it's worth your time time and money. Ideally, I would break some people's interests in gaming full stop. Any suggestions or feedback?

Kryton

Depends, are you picking good games and giving them a shit review, or finding bad games and reviewing their shit points?

bgmnts

When most AAA games get paid good reviews, i'm behind this.

magval

There's too much emphasis on the hard work that goes into AAA games when it comes to positive reviews. God of War (PS4) one looks fucking amazing. That takes hard work. It is still a shit game that is boring to play and has nothing to say. My job is also hard work, boring to play and has nothing to say, but no one gives ME a five star review.

I support your endeavour grumpily.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Kryton on June 18, 2020, 09:25:26 PM
Depends, are you picking good games and giving them a shit review, or finding bad games and reviewing their shit points?

Just looking to shit on the drones HARD

Thanks for the support, guys. If there's one medium that's incredibly self-satisfied and pleased that stuff is simply being made, it's gaming. Likewise the level gross backslapping and incest. Most of it is daytime telly level. Yes, it exists but that's about all you can kindly say about. The baseline for the average review is should be 2/10 rather than 7/10. Set higher expectations.

Kelvin

Surely a site already exists for posting dull, over-compensating hot takes. Have you thought about starting a Twitter account?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Feel like pure shit just want a balding virgin to eviscerate Kabuki Warriors

Chedney Honks

I think I just reached a point where I can't accept people telling me that actually Days Gone is a great game and it was criminally underrated at launch because of a few bugs. When you upgrade that motorcycle let me tell you and throwing a molotov at the zombies. Wow. You should see the HDR on that.

No. We cannot pretend any longer.

Why do so many games exist?

The only way the 'industry' will change is with a very very coruscating blog.

Phil_A

I don't wanna say you'd be wasting your time, but...blogs definitely aren't as popular as they once were and very few actually manage to build a following these days. In general most of the game content people engage with is on youtube now, and there's people like Jim Sterling on there who've been doing a pretty good job of eviscerating the AAA industry for years now.

Thursday

I really don't think being negative about games is a unique thing there's a gap in the market.

Day's Gone is one that seems to have a weird response to it. The general critical response seemed to be "Eh it's alright 7/10 not amazing or anything"

Then the audience response to it seemed to be "Actually the critics were far too harsh on this one! It's not amazing or anything, but it's a good game. 7/10"

Everyone's opinion on it seemed to be the same, they just came at it from slightly different angles.

I mean the other thing though is it seems to be about 80 hours long, but people still seemed to be compelled to play it because it was a console exclusive with a big marketing push. I guess I'm underestimating the amount of people into the idea of Sons of Anarchy: Zombies. But it seems like you could just ignore the really long average game and play something better.

Chedney Honks

I will make a YouTube channel. It's decided.

I'm not saying it'll be something like Yahtzee sneering at a game going through his dull motions or Jimmy talking about microtransactions because he knows it's effective. I'm saying this will be WHOLLY NEGATIVE. Anyone reading will end up psychologically worn out and it will destroy their interest in gaming.

Kelvin

The main problem with the whole idea is that, in the vast majority of cases, mainstream titles aren't bad (2 out of 10?), merely mediocre. The 7s should maybe be a 5, or a 6, and the 9s and 10s, a 7 or 8, but the idea that these games are so unplayable, so actively unpleasant to play that they deserve a 2 out of 10, is imo, even more ridiculous than them getting a 7. 

Can you give an example of a triple A game that deserves a 2 out of 10? The only game that I can think of is something like Star Wars Battle Front 2, which had very little content, was broken as fuck, and stacked the grind so heavily against the player so they'd buy microtransactions. But that game was notoriously bad anyway, how many others are there like that?

Kelvin

Phil_A

Yeahhh, I suspect as much Kelvin. I was gonna give him the benefit of the doubt to see how this thread plays out but it blatantly is, isn't it.

Chedney Honks

Yeah I just wanted a new acct I can give my wife the password to while I wait for my Covid result in case I end up on a vent 🤪🤪🤪 There is no way I can give her pretty much any other account.

I am sick to death of 7/10 games though. There are just way too many games being made. The best way to counter this is to just say, look, this isn't a 7 simply because it rips off a load of tried and tested tropes. It's a 2. It has a no reason to exist.

It's like, there should be limit on anyone else wanting to produce an IPA. There's just no fucking need for it. There are already way way too many, so many that you could never try to them all in a lifetime and you wouldn't even need to because if you've played one, you've basically played them all. I mean drank, you know the point I'm making.

It's different to music where there is still the value of an individual voice but gaming is pure focus group dogshit.

Someone could well say hold on hold on...why do you need Dodonpachi Saidaioujou when Dodonpachi Daioujou exists? I actually agree. Why do you need Dark Souls 3? You really really don't. It's the epitome of the point I'm making. The saturation devalues the fundamental value of the original.

Kelvin

I got Bosto'd!

All these years laughing at the other poor suckers and finally I bin dun.

i
bin
bosto'd

Thursday

I still don't really understand why you keep making new accounts though?

Kelvin

Chedney Honks

Genuinely not pranking but I did need a throwaway account just in case I have to ask my wife to post a eulogy or whatever.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 18, 2020, 11:42:15 PM
Feel like pure shit just want a balding virgin to eviscerate Kabuki Warriors

Laughed.

Chedney Honks

Feeling pretty burned out to be honest. Can't help but think that this test result is what it's all been leading up to.

Golden E. Pump

What is 'threads that need the word 'Batman' in them', Alex?

falafel

My entire purpose on this forum is to post banal non-contributions to Bosto threads and occasionally submit a track for the next Ha Ha Tape. If it wasn't for that I'd have left 15 years ago.

Cold Meat Platter

This game is like having buffalo diarrhoea vomited down your cock hahaha