Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:20:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ian Holm Isn't

Started by Sin Agog, June 19, 2020, 01:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Most people will probably remember him as 'The Man' in BBC2's Play of the Week and 'Uncredited' in Girls at Sea, but I'll always think of him as Bilbo Baggins and Ash the Robot personally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53110391

Endicott

He was Frodo in the radio version, which I always think of. And Ash of course. Sad news.

Replies From View

I'll always think of him as all of the borrowers.

Bazooka

Damn, he was great as Ripley in Aliens.

Ferris

Quote from: Endicott on June 19, 2020, 01:45:33 PM
He was Frodo in the radio version, which I always think of. And Ash of course. Sad news.

Great theme tune on that version.

All together now: Dlldlldldldlldlrrrr-DUN DUN DUN (dun dun dunnnn dun dun dunnnnnn) doooo doodle doodle doo doooo....

He will be missed.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ash Vs. The Evil Dead

One of those actors that I can't think of a single bad performance by. I'm mildly surprised to learn he started out on the stage, as he was a very natural presence on screen, unlike your Richard Burton types.

Head Gardener

Sin Agog

His Napoleon in Time Bandits was kind of the perfect actor/role combo.  Apparently he played him before in some BBC series called Napoleon in Love.  Only seen the one clip, but it seems like exactly the same interpretation, except instead of being in a milieu of midgets, he's surrounded by an array of buxom Gascon women.

Kelvin

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 19, 2020, 03:05:44 PM

"The actor died while attending a party at Michael Barrymore's house."

Kelvin

I'm already regretting that.

Neomod

A class act who would always add substance to a film. Never a leading man but some outstanding supporting performances in Big Night, Brazil, Dance with a Stranger and of course Alien to name but a few.

R.I.P.

Sad news. He gave mesmerising performances that always seemed so well-considered and perfectly pitched to the material.

I don't know how common this is for an actor, but I remember Peter Jackson saying on one of the Lord of the Rings extras that Holm never did any scene the same way twice. He liked to give very different takes and then let the director/editor pick and choose whatever they liked. It was lovely to hear that confidence of a skilled actor, but also the trust he had that the filmmakers would make the best decisions. RIP Ian.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 19, 2020, 03:50:25 PM
His Napoleon in Time Bandits was kind of the perfect actor/role combo.  Apparently he played him before in some BBC series called Napoleon in Love.  Only seen the one clip, but it seems like exactly the same interpretation, except instead of being in a milieu of midgets, he's surrounded by an array of buxom Gascon women.

Ian Holm was supposed to be the lead in Stanley Kubrick's Napoléon, which predates both. He wanted Audrey Hepburn as Joséphine, but she politely turned him down.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Kelvin on June 19, 2020, 04:20:57 PM
I'm already regretting that.

That's what all those who attended keep saying. Those who lived to tell the tale...

olliebean

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 19, 2020, 02:26:09 PM
Great theme tune on that version.

All together now: Dlldlldldldlldlrrrr-DUN DUN DUN (dun dun dunnnn dun dun dunnnnnn) doooo doodle doodle doo doooo....

He will be missed.

The whole of that BBC Radio version of Lord of the Rings (including the soundtrack, all of which is great) seems to be available online here: https://archive.org/details/the-lord-of-the-rings-bbc-radio-drama

Ferris

Quote from: olliebean on June 19, 2020, 05:59:00 PM
The whole of that BBC Radio version of Lord of the Rings (including the soundtrack, all of which is great) seems to be available online here: https://archive.org/details/the-lord-of-the-rings-bbc-radio-drama

Ooh thanks! I was being intentionally flippant to amuse, but I do genuinely like that production. Been working my way through it since the lockdown, it's great and Holm is excellent.

olliebean

I'd take it over the films, any day.