Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re-Watchin' Blackadder 2020

Started by Pink Gregory, June 19, 2020, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Pie shop" just sounds funnier spoken by Atkinson than "Coffee shop" would.

Cold Meat Platter

"This huge sausage is very suspicious."

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2020, 03:56:53 PM
"Pie shop" just sounds funnier spoken by Atkinson than "Coffee shop" would.

As was said on one of the previous threads about it on this forum, Atkinson always delivered plosives well, which is why Curtis and Elton included them, and makes Mr Bean even more of a waste.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah I guess seeing as it's mentioned in Blackadder II it's probably a pie shop just because pies are funnier than other consumables.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 22, 2020, 04:06:39 PM
As was said on one of the previous threads about it on this forum, Atkinson always delivered plosives well,

Indeed. A man who can make the word 'Bob' funny.

I remember as a student, a group of us were watching an episode of Forth and Rowan was doing one of his extended similes.  'He goes on too long, doesn't he?' said one girl.  I remember that same episode Atkinson mentioned the 'best female impersonation since Tarzan raided Jane's handbag and ate her lipstick,' which confused me and seem to do everyone else.  It's only quite a lot later I got that the idea was he would have lipstick smeared around his mouth after and so he would have involuntarily adorned himself in a way that is mostly done by women.

Old Nehamkin

Series 3 is my favourite, partly because it's the first one I ever watched but also because I love the sparse, stripped-down quality it has with the main cast reduced to just three characters. There's something very satisfying in the simplicity of the pecking order from the Prince to Blackadder to Baldrick and it feels like the purest distillation of the show's formula, as well as having a certain scrappy, intimate character that lends it a kind of cosiness for me.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 22, 2020, 05:25:47 PM
Series 3 is my favourite, partly because it's the first one I ever watched but also because I love the sparse, stripped-down quality it has with the main cast reduced to just three characters. There's something very satisfying in the simplicity of the pecking order from the Prince to Blackadder to Baldrick and it feels like the purest distillation of the show's formula, as well as having a certain scrappy, intimate character that lends it a kind of cosiness for me.

I oscillate between 2 and 3, but Hugh Laurie is really great as the Prince. His scene with Stephen Fry as the Duke of Wellington is brilliant.

Gulftastic

2 had original Flashheart and Tom Baker! Two of the greatest one shot sitcom characters ever! The latter's first scene with Edmund is amazing. Tom allowed to give full rein to his over acting tendencies and he grabs it with both hands (he had a woman's hands!)

Autopsy Turvey

Have Big Finish yet lined up a spinoff boxset of Redbeard Rum Adventures? If not, they're missing a trick!

paruses

Oh yea, they are smilies aren't they?

The last I saw of 1 my main memory is of thinking how you Tim McInnery looked. I know that's how time works but even so.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 22, 2020, 03:39:21 PM
As a quick duck back, Mrs Miggins' Pie Shop first appears - or at least is mentioned - in Blackadder II, showing that it's been around since Elizabethan times at least. Percy mentions taking that 'young roister-doister' Bob there for a slap-up feed in 'Bells'.
It's also mentioned in Money(?) where Blackadder blackmails the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells and mentions as part of  his demands "a slap up binge at Mrs. Miggins' pie-shop".

Jittlebags

I love series 1. I've no idea why it's held as inferior. I thought I liked it because I was about 14 when it was on and it tickled my formative chuckle cells, however it wasn't on till 4 years later.

Quotethe thing about Heaven, is that Heaven is for people who like the sort of things that go on in Heaven, like, uh, well, singing, talking to God, watering pot plants...

I rest my case.

TheMonk

Quote from: Thosworth on June 19, 2020, 04:22:07 PM
Pilot: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61734g

It's almost exactly what series two became - filmed in a studio, Elizabethan setting, with the high status Blackadder. But with a Philip Fox Baldrick.
Well that is interesting. Who wrote the pilot? I thought the story was That Ben Elton joined for series 2 and was more or less responsible for the changes.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: TheMonk on June 23, 2020, 03:00:30 PM
Well that is interesting. Who wrote the pilot? I thought the story was That Ben Elton joined for series 2 and was more or less responsible for the changes.

Curtis and Atkinson - there's fair bit of information at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Adder_(pilot_episode)

Jake Thingray

Easy to sneer at Curtis' descent into romantic mush I know, but if after watching a load of Blackadder you then try watching an episode of The Vicar of Dibley, Gary Waldhorn's character is the one you end up sympathising with.

thr0b

Aye. Of all the characters, his is the one who goes on the biggest (hnnngh) journey. From fearsome opponent of Geraldine to biggest ally and romantic interest at various points.

Odd show when you think about it. Rapidly moved from the format of a weekly sitcom to occasional seasonal specials only. Took Only Fools best part of a decade to do that.

sutin

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 22, 2020, 05:25:47 PM

This sums up exactly why I love Third the best too, and backs up my earlier complaint about Blackadder II having too many characters.

I got into Blackadder in a weird way. We listened to the BBC audio tapes of Third and Forth in the car ad nauseum when I was 12-13, about a year before I saw the TV episodes. When I eventually got it on VHS, it was damn weird seeing that sound I knew inside out with pictures. I of course had visualised myself what I thought it looked like.

marquis_de_sad

So it turns out Mrs Miggins' pie shop is only mentioned (multiple times) in series two. In series three she's running a coffee shop.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 22, 2020, 03:31:27 PM
The rushes show them all getting shot and dying painfully. It would have been an awful way to end the series.

I've just watched that.  It just looks ridiculous.  I'm glad it was changed.

paruses

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 23, 2020, 11:43:29 PM
So it turns out Mrs Miggins' pie shop is only mentioned (multiple times) in series two. In series three she's running a coffee shop.

Is this a mandela effect that I may be responsible for?

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: paruses on June 24, 2020, 09:55:14 AM
Is this a mandela effect that I may be responsible for?

I think it's a reasonable mistake as the phrase "Mrs Miggins' pie shop" is heard in (I think) every episode of the second series. In the third series it's definitely a coffee shop. Dr Johnson calls it "Mrs Miggins' literary salon", but he shouldn't even be alive when the action takes place, so what does he know.

kalowski

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 24, 2020, 05:40:56 PM
I think it's a reasonable mistake as the phrase "Mrs Miggins' pie shop" is heard in (I think) every episode of the second series. In the third series it's definitely a coffee shop. Dr Johnson calls it "Mrs Miggins' literary salon", but he shouldn't even be alive when the action takes place, so what does he know.

I recall one of the poets saying to her "bring me but one cup of the brown-ed juice of the bean we call coffee". Probably the same episode.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: kalowski on June 24, 2020, 06:45:32 PM
I recall one of the poets saying to her "bring me but one cup of the brown-ed juice of the bean we call coffee". Probably the same episode.

Yes, that's right. Blackadder also asks for "a cup of your best hot water with brown grit in it, unless of course by some miracle your coffee shop has started selling coffee".

The next episode has this exchange:

So it's a coffee shop that (normally) sells pies.

Pink Gregory

He's been nursing that horses' willy all morning...

Chris Barrie perfectly cast there.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 24, 2020, 05:40:56 PM

That pic has reminded me of another aspect of series 3 that I love - the mad Graceland-style end credits music that somehow fits the show perfectly despite being so utterly incongruous. I think Howard Goodall has a particular knack for coming up with left-field music choices that capture a show's essence in a counterintuitive way - like his melancholy choral arrangement for Mr. Bean or Red Dwarf's jaunty, up-tempo end credits song which still manages to convey a small undercurrent of haunting bleakness.

Pink Gregory

See I was thinking that I hated it, but it's been in my head for most of the week.

Jittlebags

Series Three reminds me of Madhur Jaffrey curries. Not from original transmissions, but from whatever those twatty tape things before DVDs were that I used to watch after cooking one from her book. For some reason I must have watched a series 3 episode with a curry. Series 1, 2 or 4, I can't particularly link to a food. Maybe I had a donner kebab with those?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 24, 2020, 07:20:41 PM
He's been nursing that horses' willy all morning...

Chris Barrie perfectly cast there.

"I 'ave mur-daired the ambassador and turned him into paté!"

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: kalowski on June 24, 2020, 06:45:32 PM
I recall one of the poets saying to her "bring me but one cup of the brown-ed juice of the bean we call coffee".

Naughty bean!

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on June 24, 2020, 07:57:42 PM
I think Howard Goodall has a particular knack for coming up with left-field music choices that capture a show's essence in a counterintuitive way

Absolutely, also including the Brian May-esque electric guitar solo introducing II, a bit of 20th century discordant individualism plopped onto a courtly Renaissance setting, like Edmund himself.