Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aliens and Predator

Started by madhair60, June 19, 2020, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Watched Predator for first time last night, 3/5

Watching Aliens right now, didn't think Alien was very interesting but this is fun so far, 40 mins in no fucking Aliens though, what's the point

anyway talk about those two films I suppose.

bgmnts

3/5 for Predator?

Fucking hell.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 05:50:05 PM
3/5 for Predator?

Fucking hell.

"didn't think Alien was very interesting" was what raised my eyebrows more.

If it weren't for madhair's excellent work in HS Art I'd be petitioning Neil for a permanent ban.

madhair60

well it's gorgeous looking but quite stupid, i think that's a fair mark (Predator)

SavageHedgehog

I'm not the biggest Predator fan, the lads bantz first half is.quite slow. The final act really delivers the goods though.. Frustratingly, Predator 2 is similar but with pointless detective work in place of the lad bantz.

Aliens I loved the first time I saw it. Less so the second, but I think that was mostly because it was the extended cut. I think I watched it a third time. Another viewing might be on the cards.

Bazooka

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 19, 2020, 05:52:09 PM

If it weren't for madhair's excellent work in HS Art I'd be petitioning Neil for a permanent ban.

No he generally has completely zoinked opinions on great games too, Predator Hunting Grounds the game thought that is a 2/5.

madhair60

Quote from: Bazooka on June 19, 2020, 06:26:20 PM
No he generally has completely zoinked opinions on great games too

Drivel

greenman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 19, 2020, 06:03:58 PM
I'm not the biggest Predator fan, the lads bantz first half is.quite slow. The final act really delivers the goods though.. Frustratingly, Predator 2 is similar but with pointless detective work in place of the lad bantz.

I think Weathers and Duke have enough gravitas to them to make the "Lad Bantz" work pretty well though.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 19, 2020, 05:52:09 PM

He means Allen.  Can you even remember Allen?  Thought not.

His one memorable feature is not being able to spell "Alan".

madhair60

shotgun in the xeno's mouth, EAT THIS, BWOOOOOOOOM hahahahahahaa yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

Aliens is one of the films that Sky have stamped with an 'outdated attitudes' warning.  Not sure what the reason is.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/d4b63e32-3e67-4408-8c50-47720ef807a3/aliens-1986

QuoteThis film has outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today. Sci-fi sequel starring Sigourney Weaver. Contains violence.

madhair60

That was fucking great. 4.5/5

Funcrusher

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 19, 2020, 08:00:27 PM
Aliens is one of the films that Sky have stamped with an 'outdated attitudes' warning.  Not sure what the reason is.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/d4b63e32-3e67-4408-8c50-47720ef807a3/aliens-1986

Apparently the actress who played Vasquez isn't latino and was wearing makeup so Aliens is cancelled.

bgmnts

It also doesn't exactly put extraterrestrial life in the best light does it?

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 10:18:42 PM
It also doesn't exactly put extraterrestrial life in the best light does it?

'Standing at the queue for the egg pods and heard some gung-ho MAGA shitlord talking about a "bug hunt" yesterday.'

*xenomorph Twitter explodes*

evilcommiedictator

I remember showing a mate of mine and his friends the directors' cut of Alien back when it came out on DVD. They hadn't seen it before and were asleep after 35min or so

Shaky

What the fuck is all this shit about Alien not being very good?? Madness.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaky on June 20, 2020, 08:31:33 AM
What the fuck is all this shit about Alien not being very good?? Madness.

Well he is quite annoying.  He never buys the milk when it is his turn.

Sheffield Wednesday

Aliens has the best gun sound ever made.

The pulse rifle.

The ecstasy of death.

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on June 19, 2020, 05:35:12 PM
Watched Predator for first time last night, 3/5

You may prefer Predator 2. I know I do. Predator comes looking for worthy game in LA during a heatwave.

SavageHedgehog

There really is a lot of time wasted on Danny Glover going up to people going "hmm, who is this mysterious creature?" though, which makes sense from the character's perspective but not the audience's, as he's not finding out anything substantial we don't know from the first film. It's worth a watch though. I think Stephen Hopkins is a good director who just hasn't ever managed to make a particularly good film.

NoSleep

Sin Agog

It's because back in the day Bill Paxton was alive so seeing him alive was appropriate, but now that he's dead it's all a bit outdated.  I'm grateful for the warning.  It's a bummer watching movies with dead people in them.

NoSleep

It's outdated because it portrays big business as the real enemy.

Replies From View

Also, Jurassic World shows us what 'strong female lead' means in 21st Century Hollywood:  emotionally immature, needs a strong man to make all the proper decisions but argues with him to show her independence of mind and spirit, and continually wears footwear that is pleasant to look at rather than practical.

What Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher did with Ellen Ripley in the first three Alien films is so old hat, man.  Films were practically black and white back then.

bgmnts

Well, Weaver does strip down to her undies in the final scene so I suppose that isn't very progressive.

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on June 20, 2020, 12:21:04 PM
Well, Weaver does strip down to her undies in the final scene so I suppose that isn't very progressive.

What about the aliens?  Never seen them wear even a shred of clothing in any of the movies.

earl_sleek

Prolly Hudson's schtick, plus the references to 'Arcturian poontang'? Does seem a bit weaksauce.

Quote from: NoSleep on June 20, 2020, 11:40:00 AM
It's outdated because it portrays big business as the real enemy.

You say that in jest, but I always thought it was the underlying message of the film. Burke is the real villain.

NoSleep

Of course it's the underlying message of the film; that was my point. And that Sky is big business.