Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:41:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Aliens and Predator

Started by madhair60, June 19, 2020, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I still mourn the loss of Blomkamp's lost Aliens sequel.

PlanktonSideburns

would love a proper ailens fuck up the earth film, just a proper bleak, threads esque film where they land, expand at a horryfying rate, jubjecting the human race to total domination. the end

PlanktonSideburns

whats that aliens ripoff film where one comes out of a bowling alley? sounds ridiculous, and i think the rest of the film was turds, but that scene has an amazing dreamlike dread to me

PlanktonSideburns

just re watched it, im talking bollocks, its not scary at all. its like something out of dark place. i am a twat

PlanktonSideburns

Alien 2: Sulla Terra (On Earth)

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on June 23, 2020, 08:37:30 PM
I still mourn the loss of Blomkamp's lost Aliens sequel.

could it still happen?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on June 24, 2020, 02:55:33 PM
could it still happen?

I suspect it will depend on how well the next Scott Alien prequel does - if it's as disappointing financially as Covenant (or even worse), then there will probably be a desire to reboot (again) or take it in another direction. 

Disney has said that it wants to keep doing "new Alien stories", which is probably a thinly veiled way of saying "if Covenant 2 makes fuck all, then we'll shit-can that sequence".  20th Century Fox as-was were strong backers of Scott's vision, but Disney obviously don't have that same loyalty these days - they just want product that will make money, even if it's at the expense of dropping a chunk of older fans (Scott has already done that for them, of course).

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 24, 2020, 03:52:41 PM
I suspect it will depend on how well the next Scott Alien prequel does - if it's as disappointing financially as Covenant (or even worse), then there will probably be a desire to reboot (again) or take it in another direction. 

Disney has said that it wants to keep doing "new Alien stories", which is probably a thinly veiled way of saying "if Covenant 2 makes fuck all, then we'll shit-can that sequence".  20th Century Fox as-was were strong backers of Scott's vision, but Disney obviously don't have that same loyalty these days - they just want product that will make money, even if it's at the expense of dropping a chunk of older fans (Scott has already done that for them, of course).

Is there any intention to continue Scott's prequel trilogy after his third film?  I assumed it was essentially standalone - there's no need for anyone else to continue this trajectory of characters or storyline; any further alien films can either directly reference them or not, with little difference either way.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 23, 2020, 06:04:55 PM
In that scene's defence (and I am NO fan of the film), if a xenomorph/predator hybrid WERE to find its way to earth and end up wandering into a hospital maternity ward, I doubt it would walk away and leave them be cos babies and pregnant women mate.  Its actions in that scene make complete logical sense given the nature of the animal, and it's the next logical horrific step from giving birth to an alien - giving birth to an alien that's eaten/absorbed your own baby.  I think it's a nifty idea, and of course it's going to be grim.

'cos babies and pregnant women mate'?  Eh?

Logically, the Predator has to take a massive shit every now and then, but I don't need to see that in this essentially bubblegum fayre.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 25, 2020, 09:39:07 PM
'cos babies and pregnant women mate'?  Eh?

As in a CaB "mate".  I should've added a comma.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 25, 2020, 09:41:19 PM
As in a CaB "mate".  I should've added a comma.

Ah. Yeah, Soz. Carry on.

Shit Good Nose

No one else spotted it though, so that means either everyone thinks I'm a sicko, or everyone else is a sicko.

Thumbs up.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 25, 2020, 09:46:58 PM
No one else spotted it though, so that means either everyone thinks I'm a sicko, or everyone else is a sicko.

Thumbs up.

It's ok. You've escaped the judgemental gaze of the CaB nest.

FOR NOW!!!

Replies From View

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 25, 2020, 10:57:08 PM
It's ok. You've escaped the judgemental gaze of the CaB nest.

FOR NOW!!!

One of the best CaB zoom meets ever, that was.

buzby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 23, 2020, 04:40:24 PM
That hospital scene in AVP: Requiem (2007) is one of the most stomach-churning moments I think I've ever witnessed on screen. It felt too much for essentially, an action movie.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/revisiting-a-scene-so-disgusting-and-bad-taste-that-it-nearly-destroyed-two-beloved-sagas-641244
That scene doesn't even fit in the Xenomorph's established lifecycle though. The Warriors/Drones don't impregnate their victims. they incapacitate them so they can be the host for a facehugger. Having a Predalien 'Queen' directly implant hosts with Drone embryos makes no sense compared to what had already been established by the preceding films, and was just invented so the Strause brothers could have another gory set piece. Mind you, I don't consider any of the AvP shite canon.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Johnny Textface on June 23, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
I've not read the whole thread but I expect there are a number of contrarians that think Aliens is better than Alien 3.

Can repeating the received wisdom be contrarian? Aliens has 97% / 94% from critics / audience on Rotten Tomatoes, Alien 3 has 44 / 47. If anyone's being contrarian it's the proponents of the idea that Alien 3 is better.

Having said that, I really like Alien 3, possibly more than Aliens, though this may be down to the fact that it was the first film in the franchise I saw. I know a lot of people hated it cos they felt it ruined the end of Aliens, which was never a problem for me. I really like the setting and atmosphere, and would agree it's got more interesting ideas going on than Aliens - if they had been allowed to be developed properly it would easily be better than Aliens. Charles Dance is good in it too, probably the best supporting character in the franchise, after Brett.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: earl_sleek on June 26, 2020, 09:47:30 AM
Charles Dance is good in it too, probably the best supporting character in the franchise, after Brett.

Yes, massively agree with that - my biggest and longest standing criticism of 3 is that he gets killed off WAY too soon.

Bazooka

Hey c'mon Charles 2:Charles Dutton is equally as good.

purlieu

There are definitely interesting ideas in 3, but I just find it so fucking boring and totally lacking in atmosphere. The first two films go on for an hour without a single xenomorph turning up and I barely notice as I'm absorbed in the world that's being created on scene, but about 20 minutes into 3 I'm just begging them to come along and kill all these fuckers because it's so utterly flat and uninteresting. The idea of watching an extended version of such an unengaging film is so unappealing.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: C_Larence on June 21, 2020, 10:44:16 PMAlien Vs Predator, again surprisingly not bad.

I always watch "(something) vs (something)" films with very low expectations, but I thought it was pretty decent.  I liked it better than Aliens and Alien3. 

Replies From View

I'll go against the grain and say that I prefer the theatrical version of Alien3 to the extended version.

I know the original concept was that the chestburster came from an ox, but from the way it looks and moves I prefer to think that the xenomorph of Alien3 lifted some of its DNA from a dog.  It looks like it has taken on that form to be a predator of dogs, after biologically determining that dogs would be its main prey.

And I only have the DVD version to go on, but the visual effects used to complete the extended version feel unfinished, and all the added scenes have dialogue and audio that needed re-recording.  I love workprints and it's an interesting patchwork, but as a finished work it's not superior to the original theatrical release - not to me anyway.

NoSleep

Almost certain I heard somebody say that they had modelled the A3 aliens on dogs when the film was being promoted. They seem doglike.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on June 27, 2020, 04:31:15 PM
I'll go against the grain and say that I prefer the theatrical version of Alien3 to the extended version.

I know the original concept was that the chestburster came from an ox, but from the way it looks and moves I prefer to think that the xenomorph of Alien3 lifted some of its DNA from a dog.  It looks like it has taken on that form to be a predator of dogs, after biologically determining that dogs would be its main prey.

And I only have the DVD version to go on, but the visual effects used to complete the extended version feel unfinished, and all the added scenes have dialogue and audio that needed re-recording.  I love workprints and it's an interesting patchwork, but as a finished work it's not superior to the original theatrical release - not to me anyway.

The extended cut is very explicitly advertised as NOT finished, and put together from the elements that were available, so the effects weren't complete and it had not been properly scored or soundtracked.  I think on the commentary someone says something like the only things missing are the clapperboard and Fincher shouting action and cut.

C_Larence

Quote from: Replies From View on June 27, 2020, 04:31:15 PM

Does the theatrical cut have the interminable half an hour of running through corridors at the end?

Replies From View

Quote from: C_Larence on June 27, 2020, 05:30:37 PM
Does the theatrical cut have the interminable half an hour of running through corridors at the end?

I don't remember it being interminable in either version, so I can't really answer that.

Alien3 is a slower film than Aliens, certainly, and has a sombre mood that I think ties up the trilogy rather beautifully.  Not everyone's cup of tea I'll agree.  But people are kidding themselves when they think a third film in the mould of the second would have been remarkably different from the kind of below-par rehash we normally get when action films get sequels.  Alien3 was a brave direction to go in, and I understand why people are pissed off that Newt and Hicks don't continue into Alien3 after caring about them so much in Aliens, but it's Ripley's journey and tragedy.  Her trauma is the atmosphere of Alien3, and it's what people seem to miss when they complain about running through corridors.  While they are running through corridors, they are trying to prevent the company getting their hands on the xenomorph, but also Ripley has lost Newt and Hicks and there is an alien queen inside her.  It's all very potent to me.

Anyone who wanted another gun-toting action film in the franchise got Alien Resurrection anyway, so they should be happy.  I personally hated that one.  Basketball scene was good though.

Think they should remake alien but the alien should be Mr Spock from Star Trek. Then I'd remake Predator and the Predator would be Kevin Spacey.

Blumf

Quote from: DistressedArea on July 06, 2020, 12:46:53 AM
Then I'd remake Predator and the Predator would be Kevin Spacey.

Can't afford a CGI Michael Jackson?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on July 06, 2020, 11:10:33 AM
Can't afford a CGI Michael Jackson?

Just get Keith Lemon to do it.

No CGI, I want to see a real Kevin Spacey standing in a tree and leering at Jessie Ventura, and I want a real Mr Spock bursting out of a mans chest and then running away giggling.