Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Aliens and Predator

Started by madhair60, June 19, 2020, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 20, 2020, 05:57:20 PM
I think the more interesting argument these days (and it's one I've raised before in Aliens/Alien 3 discussions on CaB) is - which is better out of Prometheus and Covenant?  Damning with faint praise, but I think Covenant is the stronger film in general, but Prometheus has more interesting ideas and imagery.  And I'd take both over Resurrection.  Which doesn't exist, of course.

I think Prometheus is stonger, visually, if you can forgive the illogical happenings. The sets were not designed by Giger but they are obviously built in his style.

Covenant has its moments, among many let-downs. We never get to find out the agenda of the ancestors. They're all killed off-screen, which is a massive cop-out. The science behind the creations doesn't make much sense either. The saving grace of Covenant is Fassbender, he's very watchable.

If I had to choose, I would say Prometheus was better. The abortion scene was tense, really tense. There was nothing like that in Covenant.

Kelvin

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 20, 2020, 05:56:54 PM
Well at least none of you are saying Alien: Covenant is your favourite. Even the most tryhard among you cannot get that lie past your teeth.

Ooh, please sir, I'd be willing to give it a go. I reckon for the the first two thirds of Alien: Covenent, it's the best Alien film since the original. It's only the last third, with the shit Xenomorph running around, that drags it down. All the stuff with David. the back-bursters and the proto-aliens is really entertaining, and certainly more frightening than anything since the first film.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2020, 06:33:24 PM
A quiz of being wrong!

No.  Or yes.  Whichever is the one that makes me win and be the best at everything.

Quote from: Kelvin on June 20, 2020, 06:30:53 PM
Ooh, please sir, I'd be willing to give it a go. I reckon for the the first two thirds of Alien: Covenent, it's the best Alien film since the original. It's only the last third, with the shit Xenomorph running around, that drags it down. All the stuff with David. the back-bursters and the proto-aliens is really entertaining, and certainly more frightening than anything since the first film.

I thought the effects were a bit on the cheap side, in Covenant. Especially when they are first attacked on the planet. Reminded me of the European intro scene for Resident Evil 1.

https://youtu.be/UWo0Hhx07Pc?t=58

Kryton

I think the more interesting argument these days (and it's one I've raised before in Aliens/Alien 3 discussions on CaB) is - which is better out of Prometheus and Covenant?  Damning with faint praise, but I think Covenant is the stronger film in general, but Prometheus has more interesting ideas and imagery.  And I'd take both over Resurrection.  Which doesn't exist, of course.

I think they're both alright for varying reasons. This is my contribution.

Kryton

Alien 3 is better than Terminator 3, can we agree on that at least?

bgmnts

Covenant is shit.

Prometheus is decent.

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on June 20, 2020, 06:45:43 PM
Covenant is shit.

I watched Covenant fairly stoned and I don't remember much about it. I don't think it was shit, just.... I dunno... Alright? No harm done kind of thing, move on.

SavageHedgehog

I did like that bit in Covenant where Bad British Fassbender creepily smiles over the chestburster, and the music swells triumphantly as if a baby has just been born or something, a genuinely odd and creepy touch.

Indeed I think I enjoyed it on the whole apart from the bit at the end [SPOILERS, natch] where Good American Fassbender is about to kill Bad British Fassbender, but Bad British Fassbender says "but wait, Good American Fassbender have you thought about this?" [Paraphrased] and then we see Good American Fassbender go "hmm" and it cuts away, then we see one of the Fassbenders get on the ship and not talk for 10 minutes, and then we're supposed to be surprised that it's Bad British Fassbender.

Shit Good Nose

Covenant removed and cancelled for racism.

Prometheus is bollocks. Pothead profundity for first year students.

SO SAYETH THE QUIZ WINNER!

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 20, 2020, 07:08:20 PM
Prometheus is bollocks. Pothead profundity for first year students.

SO SAYETH THE QUIZ WINNER!

Yeah but it doesn't really try and fail majorly to imitate the first alien and actually has characters in it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 19, 2020, 10:16:05 PM
Apparently the actress who played Vasquez isn't latino and was wearing makeup so Aliens is cancelled.

fuck me its john connors mum!

Quote from: Kryton on June 20, 2020, 06:45:25 PM
Alien 3 is better than Terminator 3, can we agree on that at least?

We can all agree on that I suppose.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if some militant Terminator 3 fan comes out of the woodwork now.

Kelvin

madhair60

Just watched Alien 3. It's cack. 1.5/5

Replies From View

And I'd take both over Resurrection.  Which doesn't exist, of course.

Correct.

There is a trilogy of Alien films that ended with Alien3; there is no Alien Resurrection and no Alien vs Predator films.

And I'd quite happily take a third prequel film from Ridley Scott as long as they continue to follow Michael Fassbender's character.  Everything he does as David is brilliantly creepy.

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on June 20, 2020, 10:52:26 PM
Just watched Alien 3. It's cack. 1.5/5

I always thought it was too sombre and messy. Much prefer Alien Resurrection with its comic book overtones.

evilcommiedictator

The first 2/3s of Terminator: Dark Fate is great, good action and the altered human lady as finally new substance in the Terminator world.
The last third is hacky call backs and CGI infused dribble though

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on June 20, 2020, 11:10:19 PM
I always thought it was too sombre and messy. Much prefer Alien Resurrection with its comic book overtones.

crap overtones, if you will.

PlanktonSideburns

Aliens and Preadator

sounds like a kids tv series

sorry if someone else has already made this comment - the fuck am i reading another thread about alien 3

Replies From View

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 21, 2020, 10:12:01 AM
Aliens and Preadator

sounds like a kids tv series

sorry if someone else has already made this comment - the fuck am i reading another thread about alien 3

Preadator sounds a tiny bit more like paedophile than predator does, I will give you that.

Aliens and Preadator, not even vs.  Like they're school buddies hanging out with playmobil sets in a luxury basement.

PlanktonSideburns

chveik

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on June 20, 2020, 03:26:13 PM
I think we need a name for the truism that on here, that pretty much every thread on here that has the slightest potential to turn into a discussion about Alien 3 being underrated, better than Aliens etc inevitably does. St Eddie's Law?[nb] I say this with affection rather than malice if he's watching[/nb]

Instead it will be I who is the true warrior of free thinking in declaring that IT SUCKS!!!!

OK, the warrior will let his shield down, it's OK.

Resurrection is far more enjoyable and at least completed. There, that's my daring act of bravery.

I couldn't agree more (for both the truism and that A:R is more entertaining)

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on June 20, 2020, 05:26:48 PM
I think I saw it one afternoon in an almost empty cinema but I'm assured that Aliens is a hoot in a packed cinema, with lots of audience participation assured. A thing of the past, granted.

Sounds fucking awful.

madhair60

NoSleep

Quote from: Replies From View on June 21, 2020, 11:11:03 AM
Sounds fucking awful.

Can't remember the last time I was in a crowded cinema, so I wouldn't know.

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on June 21, 2020, 11:24:50 AM
Can't remember the last time I was in a crowded cinema, so I wouldn't know.

Trust me mate.

Everyone is constantly eating stinky sausage rolls that have little squeakers embedded in them, people can't perceive anymore when they are not at home so they endlessly chat, stand up to walk around and kick footballs around and stuff.  Phones are kept on in case an important business call comes in that they must answer, or their pal Gavin from Schwartz Bros Burgers is ready to noisily burst in with some free Squeakies with Cheese for them.

"Audience participation" films are ones with everyone thinking it is the height of WIT ITSELF to bellow out lines from two seconds later in the film.  HAHA WE ARE REMEMBERING THE SCRIPT OF THIS FILM JUST IN TIME TO RUIN IT.  WE ARE GENIUS AND THIS SCREENING IS ABOUT US.

I am increasingly an old man by nature but this stuff was anathema to me when I was 15 and cinema behaviour has only got worse over the last 25 years.  Even nice Picturehouse screenings of art house films or documentaries are now frequented by pensioners who constantly natter and unwrap infinite supplies of boiled sweets and pass egg sandwiches around between themselves.

Long live the lockdown with its internet streams of art events and performances.