Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeff Ross

Started by Famous Mortimer, June 19, 2020, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Maybe because the whole affair was just being ironic. Like ebophile-ironic.

New page: Roasted!

Retinend

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 22, 2020, 01:19:39 PM
Why isn't this story getting more attention? It's circulated a bit on Twitter, but there's no media outlets reporting it and he was on TV in the US last night without any real controversy.

Could be that it's not breaking news. The video was uploaded 8 months ago.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Retinend on June 22, 2020, 01:51:28 PM
Could be that it's not breaking news. The video was uploaded 8 months ago.

It's breaking news to a lot of people apart from the small handful that saw the original video. It's going viral, but there's a lot of silence around it.

Ornlu

Here ya go hampipe, 40 minutes ago: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/jeff-ross-underage-girlfriend-rape/

it's on his wikipedia now too.

Puce Moment

"Is there a barista here cos this roast just got dark?"
- Andy Samberg

BritishHobo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 22, 2020, 01:19:39 PM
Why isn't this story getting more attention? It's circulated a bit on Twitter, but there's no media outlets reporting it and he was on TV in the US last night without any real controversy.

How well-knoswn is Jeff Ross in America? I assumed he was fairly obscure, but then I know roasts are obviously a much bigger thing there.

Puce Moment

I would say more famous than Chris D'Elia, thanks to some high profile roasts and the roast shows he tours.

The Jeff Ross who works with Conan must be seething like a paediatrician in Paulstown. Or he is delighted there is only one of them now.

Shit Good Nose

Ross has always been considered as one of those "comedians' comedian" types in the States, and the one most likely to be referenced by other top-tier comedians.

In terms of audience popularity - he's probably on a par with most of his contemporaries, although he doesn't seem to have done anything other than being roast master for years.

All of the above will no doubt change now though...

Famous Mortimer

He did a really good show called "Historical Roasts" on Comedy Central a year or two ago which was definitely on the good side of history. I'd always enjoyed him on the roasts, but that elevated him in my eyes quite a bit.

To keep up with it, and to have some excellent people to follow, check out @BornFeral and @PallaviGunalan on Twitter. @BornFeral (Megan Koester) is one of Neil Hamburger's favourite comedians, and she was the person who went to Montreal and interviewed people on the red carpet about Louis CK's "allegations", at least a year before the shit hit the fan.

Twonty Gostelow

dr_christian_troy

I met him in 2018 outside of The Improv in Los Angeles. He barely tolerated me.

Bye

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on June 23, 2020, 12:26:35 AM
I met him in 2018 outside of The Improv in Los Angeles. He barely tolerated me.

Bye

Well, that's your fault for being a legal adult.

Puce Moment

"...documented history of drug abuse..."

Mate.

Famous Mortimer

So, he knew this sort of thing was going on, just definitely not with him, but he did nothing about it until now, and he's proud of his reputation.

I want this to not be true, because I like a lot of his comedy. So let's see how it develops.

Famous Mortimer

Also, the Daily Dot article quoted someone else who says they'd been told Ross dated other underage girls. I know that's a lot of qualifiers for one sentence, but.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2020, 03:43:44 PM
Also, the Daily Dot article quoted someone else who says they'd been told Ross dated other underage girls. I know that's a lot of qualifiers for one sentence, but.

I note that he says this allegation has risen its head before and was investigated several times - not knowing anything about the history I can only take his word for it, but if others come forward then it puts a lot of doubt on his..."innocence", for want of a better word at the moment.

Purple Toupee

Hand Solo

Puce Moment

Has Shaffir definitely quit? Or is he biding his time until people forget about the molly?

He got the gig to present that show where people tell horrible stories on stage bookended with ridiculously over the top visual stings.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 22, 2020, 07:41:05 PM
He did a really good show called "Historical Roasts" on Comedy Central a year or two ago which was definitely on the good side of history. I'd always enjoyed him on the roasts, but that elevated him in my eyes quite a bit.

To keep up with it, and to have some excellent people to follow, check out @BornFeral and @PallaviGunalan on Twitter. @BornFeral (Megan Koester) is one of Neil Hamburger's favourite comedians, and she was the person who went to Montreal and interviewed people on the red carpet about Louis CK's "allegations", at least a year before the shit hit the fan.

just checking out some of megan koester's standup - she good!

Hand Solo

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 23, 2020, 05:52:21 PM
Has Shaffir definitely quit? Or is he biding his time until people forget about the molly?

I thought he quit to become a yoga teacher a while back? Red Bar comments. Seemed like a 'chickens come home to roost' bit of pre-emptiviness at the time considering the amount of heinous stuff he freely admit down the years..

Either way, always thought he was a painfully unfunny and disgusting human being who, like Joey Diaz, only got any exposure from being in Rogan's posse.

up_the_hampipe

This tells you all you need to know about Ari Shaffir https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2015/03/31/22130/this_isnt_comedy_%e2%80%93%c2%a0its_bullying

If you require further evidence of his shittery, enjoy this story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owOCu8n03o8

And of course, drugging Bert Kreischer and the whole Kobe thing will follow him forever. Only makes sense for him to quit, he's too much of a blatant sociopath to have any public career.

Noodle Lizard

It is kind of interesting to see the #MeToo era come up against comedians, some of whom have made their entire career out of telling stories of their reprehensible actions (sexual or otherwise). Obviously the closer they get to achieving household name status (Louis CK, Jeff Ross, arguably Chris D'Elia), the more it's going to affect them, but a lot of these comics rely largely on their audience, most of whom are already well aware of the kind of anecdotes they tell and most likely are fans of them because of those things rather than in spite of them (Joey Diaz being a perfect example - I don't really know what anyone thought they were trying to expose by trying to cancel him). Cancelling only really works when you can either dramatically affect someone's career or potentially file legal charges in the rare case that something is actionable, whereas someone like Diaz is just enjoying the free press (his reaction to this has basically been "You think that's bad? Wait 'til you see this one! *shares link*" I know it's at least partly an attempt to get Joe Rogan's Spotify deal cancelled, highlighting his complicity by laughing at the story, but I'm not sure it'll be very effective at all.

I think Doug Stanhope said around the time of the Daniel Tosh rape joke controversy that he is essentially immune to this kind of thing because he's employed by the public - only if people stop coming to see him will he suffer financially, but people come to see him precisely because of the kind of material he does, whereas Tosh was involved with TV networks and large audiences of people who might be nonethewiser other than knowing him off the telly. Louis was certainly vulnerable to it because he was winning fucking Emmys and turning up at the Oscars and on his way to being "the new Woody Allen" or whatever - had he remained a "comic's comic", I doubt the scandal would have really had any meaningful impact on his career. Certainly comics like Patrice O'Neal openly and callously admitted to worse things than what Louis did (and Patrice actually went to jail for statutory rape as a teenager), but it couldn't really affect a type of career they didn't have or even necessarily want in the first place.

up_the_hampipe

Daniel Tosh's rape joke controversy seems like such an innocent time now. He seems like someone who keeps out of all this mess, probably just a decent guy who likes edgy jokes.

Famous Mortimer

I wish one of the big comedy sites would either investigate or editorialise, rather than just repeating the same three or four pieces of information that every other site does.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 07:42:29 PM
It is kind of interesting to see the #MeToo era come up against comedians, some of whom have made their entire career out of telling stories of their reprehensible actions (sexual or otherwise). Obviously the closer they get to achieving household name status (Louis CK, Jeff Ross, arguably Chris D'Elia), the more it's going to affect them, but a lot of these comics rely largely on their audience, most of whom are already well aware of the kind of anecdotes they tell and most likely are fans of them because of those things rather than in spite of them (Joey Diaz being a perfect example - I don't really know what anyone thought they were trying to expose by trying to cancel him). Cancelling only really works when you can either dramatically affect someone's career or potentially file legal charges in the rare case that something is actionable, whereas someone like Diaz is just enjoying the free press (his reaction to this has basically been "You think that's bad? Wait 'til you see this one! *shares link*" I know it's at least partly an attempt to get Joe Rogan's Spotify deal cancelled, highlighting his complicity by laughing at the story, but I'm not sure it'll be very effective at all.
I've been aware of Rogan since "NewsRadio", and I didn't know he laughed at that Joey Diaz stuff. It's not like I was giving him money before, but I'd be less likely to listen to anything he did now. And I'd be incredibly surprised if Diaz's normal touring comedian routine had a bit about forcing women to blow him to get on stage.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 07:42:29 PMI think Doug Stanhope said around the time of the Daniel Tosh rape joke controversy that he is essentially immune to this kind of thing because he's employed by the public - only if people stop coming to see him will he suffer financially, but people come to see him precisely because of the kind of material he does, whereas Tosh was involved with TV networks and large audiences of people who might be nonethewiser other than knowing him off the telly. Louis was certainly vulnerable to it because he was winning fucking Emmys and turning up at the Oscars and on his way to being "the new Woody Allen" or whatever - had he remained a "comic's comic", I doubt the scandal would have really had any meaningful impact on his career. Certainly comics like Patrice O'Neal openly and callously admitted to worse things than what Louis did (and Patrice actually went to jail for statutory rape as a teenager), but it couldn't really affect a type of career they didn't have or even necessarily want in the first place.
Trying to be as polite as possible, what's your point? Because it sounds like "if you were raped by someone who doesn't have a TV deal to lose, you might as well not bother coming forward".

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2020, 07:54:35 PM
I wish one of the big comedy sites would either investigate or editorialise, rather than just repeating the same three or four pieces of information that every other site does.

It really makes you wonder why they don't, doesn't it?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2020, 07:54:35 PM
I've been aware of Rogan since "NewsRadio", and I didn't know he laughed at that Joey Diaz stuff. It's not like I was giving him money before, but I'd be less likely to listen to anything he did now. And I'd be incredibly surprised if Diaz's normal touring comedian routine had a bit about forcing women to blow him to get on stage.
Trying to be as polite as possible, what's your point? Because it sounds like "if you were raped by someone who doesn't have a TV deal to lose, you might as well not bother coming forward".

I don't think I was really "making a point" other than to highlight that the culture of dealing with everything in "the commons" isn't especially effective for every type of celebrity or public figure, especially in cases where the public figure in question may have never tried to hide their past behaviour and, in fact, might use it as a selling point. I think the stand-up comedy scene is a perfect example of that. Unless there are criminal charges to make, it results in an odd confluence of public opinion where people unfamiliar with the comic in question say "Look at what he said! This is reprehensible!" whereas his "employers" (the fans) already heard those bits and paid for his shows in spite of (or perhaps because of) them. It's something that doesn't work quite the same way as with "regular" celebrities, who rely on studios or networks for their careers (again, unless you bring legal charges against them).

Bronzy

Yeah, I don't think you can really cancel Joey Diaz, as such.

This is a guy who has kidnapped someone, burgled people's houses, taken every sort of drug imaginable and beat up and robbed gay men.

His whole schtick is that he's like a scumbag uncle. If anything, him extorting women for oral sex just plays into that even more.

Cheesewogg

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 23, 2020, 07:42:29 PM

I think Doug Stanhope said around the time of the Daniel Tosh rape joke controversy that he is essentially immune to this kind of thing because he's employed by the public - only if people stop coming to see him will he suffer financially, but people come to see him precisely because of the kind of material he does, whereas Tosh was involved with TV networks and large audiences of people who might be nonethewiser other than knowing him off the telly. Louis was certainly vulnerable to it because he was winning fucking Emmys and turning up at the Oscars and on his way to being "the new Woody Allen" or whatever - had he remained a "comic's comic", I doubt the scandal would have really had any meaningful impact on his career. Certainly comics like Patrice O'Neal openly and callously admitted to worse things than what Louis did (and Patrice actually went to jail for statutory rape as a teenager), but it couldn't really affect a type of career they didn't have or even necessarily want in the first place.

"all these comedians and celebrities being accused of rape... Louis CK gets his dick out in front of two women and he has more publicity than the Moon landing.. .I've been getting mine out in front of audiences for over twenty years and it doesn't even make headlines. In fact, I raped a woman before the show tonight just to get publicity. she didn't even call the police or cry for help. In fact she thanked me. She said "Mr Sadowitz, never in all my 94 years on this Earth have I had such a warm and loving experience. and thanks for helping me back into my wheelchair."

Jerry Sadowitz, 2019 tour.