Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Playing chess in Central Park

Started by touchingcloth, June 19, 2020, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

This features in several films - Independence Day, Searching for Bobby Fischer - but do people actually do this? If not today, did they do it in the 90s?

bgmnts

Yes, it's real, but the most famous spot is Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village, which is quite far south from Central Park.

Keebleman

You can also do this in Cardiff, by the Hays Island Snack Bar.  Never seen a single soul do so though, probably cos as all the tables are under trees there is a strong chance of you and/or the board and pieces getting shat on.

Mister Six

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 19, 2020, 10:12:16 PM
Yes, it's real, but the most famous spot is Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village, which is quite far south from Central Park.

Also in Union Square. The old dudes were still out there last weekend when I went for a walk outside my neighborhood for the first time in five months.

Ambient Sheep

There's also Hudson Chess Park in Chicago, which is basically a small-ish park filled with tables that have ingrained chess boards.

buzby

They used to do it outside Market St. BART station is San Francisco too until 2013, when it was banned for being a front for illegal gambling and drug dealing and a public nuisance.