Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Binned and done

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, June 20, 2020, 08:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not sure if it's due to the distractions of the current crisis or the creeping banality of routine mass death (or a blend of the two) but it seems like we are taking a much more abridged approach to mourning deceased actors, singers and other celebrities and public figures at the minute.

I was expecting everything up to and potentially including a state funeral for DVL given her craven grovelling to the military and British establishment, but instead there was a moment of remembrance, fine, binned and done.

Would you prefer additional mourning with your cornflakes in recognition of long colourful lives led or would you prefer the biowaste approach. Pause, say goodbye to the cadavar : binned and done.

?

Maybe you're worried that your own passing could go in the blink of an eye, subsumed by greater events? I imagine this is the worst nightmare of the professional attention-seeker.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 20, 2020, 08:13:54 AM
Maybe you're worried that your own passing could go in the blink of an eye, subsumed by greater events? I imagine this is the worst nightmare of the professional attention-seeker.

More that we have cultural traditions which have veered more and more towards death being commemorated at great length and expense, even as far as trying to pretend the figure still exists in some sort of spectral performative purgatory (holographic performances, posthumous collaborations, rereleases) but whenever there's rather a lot of death going around for any of us to keep track of, the overall mentality from the individual to the mass media seems to err towards the other end of of the grieving spectrum that the legacy it is an administrative burden that needs discharging as efficiently as possible with fewer adornments and excess - 'binned and done'.

Take it up with Joe Rogan, he'll be excited for your new meme.

And don't try and tell me that you are not forcing a meme here. You are. We can all see it. And it's causing me distress.

I'm speaking out against it and I'm saying no. If no one else will react against this meme-forcing then it will have to be me who draws the line in the sand.

salr

I always imaginged shoulders? stomach! would hum this to his victims in their final moments.

Thursday

Feel like the rate at which Celebrities die is so much higher these days, and that's obviously because the concept of "Celebrity" being a relatively new thing in human history, and then the amount of people who achieve the status of celebrity escalates to the point that a "celebrity" dying feels like it happens every other day now.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: salr on June 20, 2020, 11:08:21 AM
I always imaginged shoulders? stomach! would hum this to his victims in their final moments.

Nah, more like this https://youtu.be/mIwa9sPFT5I

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Thursday on June 20, 2020, 11:18:03 AM
Feel like the rate at which Celebrities die is so much higher these days, and that's obviously because the concept of "Celebrity" being a relatively new thing in human history, and then the amount of people who achieve the status of celebrity escalates to the point that a "celebrity" dying feels like it happens every other day now.

I'd agree with this, and I think due to it people are now only shocked and mourn loudly when it's someone young, anyone over the age of 70 and it's mostly a "Eh, they had their time in the sun" kind of reaction unless it's someone who was truly loved.

To post something on-topic for once:

I think we've all become a bit disillusioned with celebrities now. Whether it's 'Leaving Neverland' or 'The Body in the Pool' or whatever, we've started to realise that they're nothing special. No better than ordinary folk, and often much worse. Because they have the money to indulge every vice every day. Most of them are inveterate drunks and cokeheads.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 20, 2020, 08:43:03 AM
And don't try and tell me that you are not forcing a meme here.

I thought this was going to be a flounce thread.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

At the risk of sounding heartless, I've always thought it rather weird to get all teary eyed about celebrity deaths. Parasocial relationships and all that.

Unless they cark it right in the midst of their creative peak, you're generally not losing out on any great works. Look at David Bowie, or Prince: Sure, Black Star got good reviews, but their important stuff was made decades before they popped their clogs - and it's not like every copy of it got buried with them.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 20, 2020, 03:29:51 PM
I thought this was going to be a flounce thread.

Well you thought wrong, Johnnynoncomittal. We're all locked in and bored with nowhere else to go. These embarrassments, I'm afraid they'll have to go on all day.

El Unicornio, mang

An American friend of mine was bewildered at the thing we do in the UK of laying flowers at the site of someone we don't know who has died, not celebrities just regular people who have died and for whatever reason have made the news. "We never met you but RIP little angle, Pat & Dave xx" type stuff. I tried explaining it but realised it actually is a bit strange.

bgmnts

Only 1% freshwater is available to use, by 2025 over 1.8 billion people will live with water scarcity and it takes 630 gallons of water to make one single hamburger.

So yeah, more important things to worry about.

However, the actual real mega cataclysmic issues are bottom of the pile anyway, so lets mourn rich cunts.

Buelligan

Quote from: Thursday on June 20, 2020, 11:18:03 AM

It's one of the great things about Now, I'm loving it.  I hope it continues to speed up, faster and faster, until everyone avoids being a celebrity at all costs.  That's what I'm fervently hoping and pray for every night.

Quote from: Buelligan on June 20, 2020, 04:32:09 PM
I hope it continues to speed up, faster and faster, until everyone avoids being a celebrity at all costs. 

I thought this would happen with Big Brother. No one ever came out of that looking good. But still, celebs and regular people kept going in, putting themselves through the humiliation mill.

They all seem to believe that old saying, 'There's no such thing as bad publicity.' But really, there is.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 20, 2020, 03:01:48 PM
I think we've all become a bit disillusioned with celebrities now. Whether it's 'Leaving Neverland' or 'The Body in the Pool' or whatever, we've started to realise that they're nothing special. No better than ordinary folk, and often much worse. Because they have the money to indulge every vice every day. Most of them are inveterate drunks and cokeheads.

To add to that, 'celebrity' has become an increasingly devalued currency. Reality TV no-marks on a carousel of light-ent froth, recycled and reused; infantile distractions from the madness of our age; a smiling mask across the maws of doom.

thenoise

'We'll meet again' is a bit creepy now it's being sung by a dead woman.

Buelligan

Yeah, it was so much less creepy when it was sung a hundred and eighty year old.