Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,326
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:51:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taken Away - Moodymann

Started by Sebastian Cobb, June 20, 2020, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I wasn't really aware of this guy (I see his name has cropped up here before), but this was featured on Worldwide FM as their album of the week recently and it's a real banger. Looks like it's digital only/bandcamp for now.

Anyway, cop a load of this!
https://moodymann.bandcamp.com/album/taken-away-kdj-49

I've not really been aware of him up until now, but it looks like he was previously more hip-hoppy and this is a funk/soul album. I'll obviously be going to check his earlier work on the strength of this regardless though.

He goes all over the place musically, but originally he was a house/techno guy out of Detroit. I Can't Kick This Feeling When It Hits was a big single for him, spinning a Chic loop into a 13 min wonder. The Mahogany Brown LP was very well received at the time too (1998).

He's a cool, eccentric character, there's a rare interview with him from 2010 which is a bit of a classic.

jobotic

Yeah some of his house stuff is superb.

Inspector Norse

Funcrusher

His first few albums are all really good, particularly his debut Silentintroduction which compiles early stuff including "I Can't Kick This Feeling..",  and Mahogany Brown. His DJ-Kicks mix is worth a listen as well. I'm not so into his recent stuff where he is heavily channelling Prince.

hummingofevil

The guy is a fucking genius. He is part of the Detroit scene (post the early waves of techno but very much defends/reprazents the idea that dance music is a black music appropriated by white europeans). Black Mahogani is his 2004 masterpiece that for a long time was almost impossible to get a hold off (vinyl copies go for hundreds - I very much regret not picking up a white label at £80 in Vinyl exchange 10 years back) but it has recently appeared on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/album/224OuhZ1LThmaYGhD8ikq6?si=5upxcrnWSHauoX3mYWxxzg**

Hilariously, his DJ sets are far more eclectic. His DJ kicks set is full of neo jazz and soul rareities (I personaly adore Fall For You (Sandy Riveriera Mix)) but when I saw him DJ in Newcastle a couple of years ago he fully took the piss. I wlll dig out the set list later but Steve Miller's Abracadabra sent the room (full of pilled up students) fucking mental.

**I was going to link to a particular track but for me it's up there with Herbert's Bodily Functions as a house record i just love listening to as an album.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 20, 2020, 11:12:49 PM
His first few albums are all really good, particularly his debut Silentintroduction which compiles early stuff including "I Can't Kick This Feeling..",  and Mahogany Brown. His DJ-Kicks mix is worth a listen as well. I'm not so into his recent stuff where he is heavily channelling Prince.

SilentIntroduction is mint. I have it on vinyl here somewhere.

Edit: I've just checked. I have a few 12" that aren't on internet and Silence In the Secret Garden on vinyl.

https://open.spotify.com/album/37z6C0yEkeOzbIYR17kRqg?si=cn4cehbITMuJvHP1cqWhqA

What a record. What a guy.It's tonally a very weird record as the jazz noodling kicks into electo house but I love it. I'm going to listen back to it all now.

hummingofevil

There is also this. I don't know where it comes from and if the other 3/4 bits exist but yeah. Black power house music with a load of white dweebs as he backing band.. I approve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jNRcCHFVVk