Author Topic: Taken Away - Moodymann  (Read 323 times)

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
Taken Away - Moodymann
« on: June 20, 2020, 12:33:26 PM »
I wasn't really aware of this guy (I see his name has cropped up here before), but this was featured on Worldwide FM as their album of the week recently and it's a real banger. Looks like it's digital only/bandcamp for now.

Anyway, cop a load of this!
https://moodymann.bandcamp.com/album/taken-away-kdj-49

I've not really been aware of him up until now, but it looks like he was previously more hip-hoppy and this is a funk/soul album. I'll obviously be going to check his earlier work on the strength of this regardless though.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
Re: Taken Away - Moodymann
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
He goes all over the place musically, but originally he was a house/techno guy out of Detroit. I Can't Kick This Feeling When It Hits was a big single for him, spinning a Chic loop into a 13 min wonder. The Mahogany Brown LP was very well received at the time too (1998).

He's a cool, eccentric character, there's a rare interview with him from 2010 which is a bit of a classic.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
Yeah some of his house stuff is superb.

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »

Funcrusher

• Been shot up more times than Tom Mix
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
His first few albums are all really good, particularly his debut Silentintroduction which compiles early stuff including "I Can't Kick This Feeling..",  and Mahogany Brown. His DJ-Kicks mix is worth a listen as well. I'm not so into his recent stuff where he is heavily channelling Prince.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 03:00:49 AM »
The guy is a fucking genius. He is part of the Detroit scene (post the early waves of techno but very much defends/reprazents the idea that dance music is a black music appropriated by white europeans). Black Mahogani is his 2004 masterpiece that for a long time was almost impossible to get a hold off (vinyl copies go for hundreds - I very much regret not picking up a white label at £80 in Vinyl exchange 10 years back) but it has recently appeared on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/album/224OuhZ1LThmaYGhD8ikq6?si=5upxcrnWSHauoX3mYWxxzg**

Hilariously, his DJ sets are far more eclectic. His DJ kicks set is full of neo jazz and soul rareities (I personaly adore Fall For You (Sandy Riveriera Mix)) but when I saw him DJ in Newcastle a couple of years ago he fully took the piss. I wlll dig out the set list later but Steve Miller's Abracadabra sent the room (full of pilled up students) fucking mental.

**I was going to link to a particular track but for me it's up there with Herbert's Bodily Functions as a house record i just love listening to as an album.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 03:07:10 AM »
His first few albums are all really good, particularly his debut Silentintroduction which compiles early stuff including "I Can't Kick This Feeling..",  and Mahogany Brown. His DJ-Kicks mix is worth a listen as well. I'm not so into his recent stuff where he is heavily channelling Prince.

SilentIntroduction is mint. I have it on vinyl here somewhere.

Edit: I've just checked. I have a few 12" that aren't on internet and Silence In the Secret Garden on vinyl.

https://open.spotify.com/album/37z6C0yEkeOzbIYR17kRqg?si=cn4cehbITMuJvHP1cqWhqA

What a record. What a guy.It's tonally a very weird record as the jazz noodling kicks into electo house but I love it. I'm going to listen back to it all now.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:16:17 AM »
There is also this. I don't know where it comes from and if the other 3/4 bits exist but yeah. Black power house music with a load of white dweebs as he backing band.. I approve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jNRcCHFVVk

Tags: