Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump Tulsa Super-Spreader Rally [split topic]

Started by Barry Admin, June 20, 2020, 03:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

He's not supposed to be a fucking stand up comedian! He's the fucking President of America!

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 21, 2020, 02:23:39 AM
That's what he is. And he's a good one.

This is the first time I've watched one of these, and he's good at it. He's portrayed, even in this thread, as a rambling idiot who can't speak and spits out isolated offensive nonsense. But that ramp and water story was funny, and well performed. He's an old-school, pre-alternative comedian.

https://www.theonion.com/i-appreciate-the-muppets-on-a-much-deeper-level-than-yo-1819583976

Quote from: chveik on June 22, 2020, 10:22:56 PM
that's unfair. not talking Trump seriously enough was, and still, a mistake

Nonsense. He could not be any less serious of a human being.

chveik

evilcommiedictator

lol.

QuoteEight Trump staffers, including two staffers who attended the rally in Tulsa, tested positive for coronavirus.
The number of Trump advance team members who tested positive for coronavirus in Tulsa has increased to 8. The latest 2 to test positive *attended the rally* but wore masks, the campaign says

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1275150568697352194

Mr Banlon

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: chveik on June 22, 2020, 10:22:56 PM
that's unfair. not talking Trump seriously enough was, and still, a mistake

I was just mocking the "I'm able to get what Trump is doing onstage and why he's acting this way better than you" attitude. As LJAMC pointed out, he's not a standup comedian or a performance artist, he's the president of the United States of America. If he devotes ten minutes on stage to a routine about the ramp incident in Westpoint, that's first and all ten minutes lost in the middle of a major pandemic that's still the cause for hundreds of deaths every day in the US while his administration is doing a terrible job with it.

pigamus

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 23, 2020, 08:29:25 AM
I was just mocking the "I'm able to get what Trump is doing onstage and why he's acting this way better than you" attitude.

That's not the point at all. The point is about underestimating him.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 23, 2020, 06:38:01 AM
It seems Trump probably wasn't 'joking' about slowing down the corona testing : https://twitter.com/JoeStGeorge/status/1275095209240604673

Saw this footage on Novara last night, and Ash Sarkar made the correct point that he likely wouldn't want to admit it was a home in case he liked like he was backing down

However, yeah, he has spent weeks now moaning about the fact that testing means you end up with more positive cases, while medical professionals have been pointing out that he's a stupid test who is full of shit, because testing stops it spreading as much so actually brings the overall numbers down.

Head Gardener

Ant Farm Keyboard

Trump was all about the numbers right from the start. Remember the sea cruise in early March. He didn't want the passengers to be moved to US soil, because it automatically doubled the number of cases in the US. In the meantime, he may have been explained repeatedly that more tests means more detection and more efficiency against the virus, but there's still a small voice in him that still whispers to his ear "Numbers up: bad". Hence the wishful thinking that doing fewer tests would make the issue go away, even if it's nearly impossible for him to take such a decision.

fat_abbott

He sees it as a competition against other countries, he has to be number 1. Even if 95% of the population died he would still say x,y or z did worse. That's why he has failed at everything he does, he has no feel for anything apart from bottom line numbers. Also, he lies about the numbers too, but that's another thing.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 23, 2020, 08:29:25 AM
I was just mocking the "I'm able to get what Trump is doing onstage and why he's acting this way better than you" attitude. As LJAMC pointed out, he's not a standup comedian or a performance artist, he's the president of the United States of America. If he devotes ten minutes on stage to a routine about the ramp incident in Westpoint, that's first and all ten minutes lost in the middle of a major pandemic that's still the cause for hundreds of deaths every day in the US while his administration is doing a terrible job with it.

What do you think you're disagreeing with?

Ferris

Quote from: fat_abbott on June 23, 2020, 12:32:01 PM
He sees it as a competition against other countries, he has to be number 1. Even if 95% of the population died he would still say x,y or z did worse. That's why he has failed at everything he does, he has no feel for anything apart from bottom line numbers. Also, he lies about the numbers too, but that's another thing.

He famously cannot read a balance sheet or use emails.

He's likely motivated by an urge to bury the virus, but he is not driven by bottom line numbers as he doesn't know what they are.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 23, 2020, 12:36:24 PM
What do you think you're disagreeing with?

Although it doesn't seem this is what anyone in this thread was actually arguing, I think talk of "underestimating" Trump tends to bring to mind the ridiculous position (often made by people on the left) that Trump is actually a brilliant strategist and orator with incredible gifts for manipulating the media and his base and that the Democrats are inevitably going to get destroyed in the election because they don't understand Trump's masterful ability to connect with the deep-seeded desires of the American public etc.

He's not, he's a shockingly predictable dullard with severe narcissistic personality disorder who insights crowds because other angry embittered dullards are naturally drawn to a bully. It's not very complicated.

Mr Banlon

Ferris

Is he not doing a rally in an Arizona megachurch today? Or is that next week?

...how are the cases in AZ I hear you ask.

Alberon

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 24, 2020, 01:10:46 AM
Is he not doing a rally in an Arizona megachurch today? Or is that next week?

...how are the cases in AZ I hear you ask.

Not good.

QuoteThe state reported 3,591 new cases, nearly doubling its daily case count from last week, and 42 related deaths. And hospitalizations exceeded 2,000 for the first time since the pandemic began.

But that's okay.

QuoteWhen he mentioned what he called "the plague," the president dismissed it: "It's going away," he said.

"What a job we're doing with testing. We did ventilators," Trump said, attacking "the fake news people" for what he called misleading the public about how bad the situation is.

"We're going to have a vaccine very soon," he promised.

Later in the speech he made fun of the disease and its various names to rousing applause, including referring to it with his new xenophobic moniker, "kung flu."

Apparently the place was packed, but there was only room for 3000.

QuoteImages from the event showed a large crowd tightly packed together, with almost no one wearing protective masks. There were no temperature checks for the estimated 3,000 cheering attendees who, like many of Trump's staunchest fans, ignored a new local ordinance requiring them to wear a mask, despite a public-health plea from the Democratic mayor on Monday.

Good thing coronavirus is going away soon.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteIn the hours before President Trump's rally in Tulsa, his campaign directed the removal of thousands of "Do Not Sit Here, Please!" stickers from seats in the arena that were intended to establish social distance between rallygoers, according to video and photos obtained by The Washington Post and a person familiar with the event.

The removal contradicted instructions from the management of the BOK Center, the 19,000-seat arena in downtown Tulsa where Trump held his rally on June 20. At the time, coronavirus cases were rising sharply in Tulsa County, and Trump faced intense criticism for convening a large crowd for an indoor political rally, his first such event since the start of the pandemic...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/workers-removed-thousands-of-social-distancing-stickers-before-trumps-tulsa-rally-according-to-video-and-a-person-familiar-with-the-set-up/2020/06/27/f429c3be-b801-11ea-9b0f-c797548c1154_story.html

Barry Admin

That is INSANE. All because he's so (perhaps tellingly) obsessed with crowd size, and wanted to contrast with the picture he had posted the night before of Joe Biden's socially distant, deliberately small-scale event.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/us/politics/joe-biden-campaign-event.html

Not the actual pic he tweeted but representative:

chveik

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 27, 2020, 10:59:10 PM
That is INSANE. All because he's so (perhaps tellingly) obsessed with crowd size, and wanted to contrast with the picture he had posted the night before of Joe Biden's socially distant, deliberately small-scale event.

heheh. not sure about that

Dewt

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 23, 2020, 03:00:39 PM
Although it doesn't seem this is what anyone in this thread was actually arguing, I think talk of "underestimating" Trump tends to bring to mind the ridiculous position (often made by people on the left) that Trump is actually a brilliant strategist and orator with incredible gifts for manipulating the media
Nobody on the left ever says that and I can identify the specific thing you've misunderstood.

What people on the left say is that Trump's behaviour is more effective because his stupidity is extremely profitable for the media networks and extremely viral on social media. No part of it is because of any cleverness on his part. At best he's identified that running his big mouth off helps him, or more likely is just encouraged to do it.

Mister Six

I don't think Trump is a great orator, but he's an incredible communicator. Written down his word salads look absurd, but when he's actually speaking them out loud he does a great job of communicating his thoughts and positions. Those thoughts are inane and the positions simplistic, but he drives them home.

Contrast that with another mottle-brained dotard, Joe Biden, who can't communicate anything, or - half the time - even finish a sentence

C_Larence

Quote from: Dewt on June 28, 2020, 01:19:58 AM
Nobody on the left ever says that and I can identify the specific thing you've misunderstood.

What people on the left say is that Trump's behaviour is more effective because his stupidity is extremely profitable for the media networks and extremely viral on social media. No part of it is because of any cleverness on his part. At best he's identified that running his big mouth off helps him, or more likely is just encouraged to do it.
The right think Trump is intentionally playing 4D chess with the media
The left think the media keep letting him win because it gets them views
Liberals think the black pieces should be stronger

Quote from: Dewt on June 28, 2020, 01:19:58 AM

Demonstrably false.

Glad to learn that you do not personally share that take, but it seems a bit presumptuous to declare that "nobody on the left" has ever made that claim (or really any conceivably claim, given the 100,000-take-per-second firehose that is Twitter)

Dewt

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 28, 2020, 04:32:54 AM
Glad to learn that you do not personally share that take, but it seems a bit presumptuous to declare that "nobody on the left" has ever made that claim (or really any conceivably claim, given the 100,000-take-per-second firehose that is Twitter)
lol your point now is literally "given the odds somebody claiming to be on the left will have said it so my point stands"

Why

Why do this

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Mister Six on June 28, 2020, 04:21:39 AM
I don't think Trump is a great orator, but he's an incredible communicator. Written down his word salads look absurd, but when he's actually speaking them out loud he does a great job of communicating his thoughts and positions. Those thoughts are inane and the positions simplistic, but he drives them home.

Yes, it doesn't matter if he's clever or a brilliant strategist. He can be neither but still a good performer. What I don't understand is the portrayal of him as a bad performer, and his crowd as being purely ideological. The cheer in the water clip doesn't rely on people being so ideologically devoted to him that they cheer his ability to drink, it requires them to be insufficiently opposed to him that they can enjoy a funny button to a well-performed routine.

He has filled a void created by the fact that white racists are attracted to charismatic leaders who promise them pie in the sky and he's the only person who stepped forward to fill it who has any verbal skills at all (such as comic timing and the ability to convince the person he's talking to that he likes them). He studied the 50s demagogues like McCarthy and Roy Cohn, realizing that the 50s is the mythical land his base wants him to reinvent.

He's unraveling now because he's thick as pigshit on the very basics of the job: elementary geography, simple economics, middle school science. Yet it still needed a pandemic to make it unlikely he will be reelected; he controlled enough economic tools to create a bubble that would have lasted to the end of 2020 before creating a massive recession in his 2nd term, but which has now come early.