Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trump Tulsa Super-Spreader Rally [split topic]

Started by Barry Admin, June 20, 2020, 03:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mister Six on June 20, 2020, 04:36:46 AM
...Juneteenth...

Ah, didn't realise it was an actual thing!   Now a post I read on Facebook the other day makes more sense.  I''d assumed they were taking the piss in a losing track of time because of lockdown/eleventy-twelvety sort of way!

I know this nightmare just keeps topping itself, but thousands of people raucously cheering Trump because he is capable of feebly drinking a glass of water using one hand might be the funniest moment yet.

Dex Sawash

Didn't he try to smash the tiny glass and it didn't break?

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 21, 2020, 05:40:07 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1274505742750371842?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1274519192385904641&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Farticle%2Fdonald-trump-tulsa-oklahoma-rally-unhinged-moments%2F

(video)

More of a toss it to the side

It still looks weird. Like when you're really drunk, and someone points it out because you did [action] in a drunken way so you say "oh yeah?!" then do [action] again, but because you really focus you can do it better but still clearly drunk.

Barry Admin

I managed to miss that bit, but yeah wow. 2020 continues to be brilliantly surreal.

Mango Chimes

The coronavirus testing bit: he was only kidding. It was in incredibly bad taste, but anyone thinking he was intending it as a serious point about reducing testing is an idiot. Similarly the glass throw. It was the end of an extended bit about why he did that weird thing at a previous speech, and it was a funny and unexpected button to it.

I really recommend watching it, it opened my eyes to what a fucking shit job all commentators and comedians are doing with Trump. They're either not getting it, or deliberately distorting it to make him an easier target because they're struggling to make fun of a comedian.

The first half hour was a stand-up routine. The ramp and water section is told in a nice anecdotal way. "So I went home and asked my wife how she thought the speech went..." What's more: he's self-effacing in it. Yes, the larger context is that it's extraordinarily petty for the President of the USA to spend half an hour explaining how actually people were wrong to joke about him walking down a ramp and drinking a glass of water weirdly. But within it, he makes some self-deprecating jokes, which undercut that criticism of him.

There's also a section where he is blatantly over-justifying spending 4 billion dollars on Air Force One by saying at least it wasn't 6 billion. He does it by acting out an argument with Boeing and it made me laugh out loud.

The final hour is pure demagoguery, and it's chilling how he encourages the crowd to boo the press, AOC and Ilhan Omar, but portraying him as a weird idiot is really missing what must be a huge part of his appeal. The cheer wasn't for him being able to drink the water, it was for how stupid it was to suggest he couldn't.

Barry Admin

A key problem, though, is that he repeatedly jokes about things a President shouldn't really be joking about. This is further compounded by his press secretary claiming that he's joking about stuff when he clearly means it.

The example that came to mind was his "don't be too nice" comments to the cops:

Quote from: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/back-trump-comments-perceived-encouraging-violence/story?id=48415766When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just seen them thrown in, rough. I said, 'Please don't be too nice,'" he said.

"When you guys put somebody in the car and you're protecting their head you know, the way you put their hand over [their head]," Trump continued, mimicking the motion. "Like, 'Don't hit their head and they've just killed somebody, don't hit their head.' I said, 'You can take the hand away, OK?'

"I have to tell you, you know, the laws are so horrendously stacked against us, because for years and years, they've been made to protect the criminal. Totally made to protect the criminal. Not the officers. You do something wrong, you're in more jeopardy than they are," he added.

Then White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders later told reporters when asked about the comments, "I believe he was making a joke at the time."

Having seen that at the time, I can confirm it was again delivered in that same kind of jokey manner, but more recent events make it clear that this is shit he does really believe. That's without going back to eg the Central Park Five and such, which also crystallises his love for violence and retribution, and make it apparent that the above comments were not a joke.

Gulftastic

I enjoyed the Twitter post listing acts who'd drawn bigger crowds at the venue. My favourite was 'The Pips (w/o Gladys  Knight).

Barry Admin

The fire marshall is now saying only 6200 people attended!

The Tiktok kids did an absolutely amazing job with all this.

jobotic

Bit of a John Wayne swagger there.

Imagine if we lived in a world in which the President could "yeah I am a bit doddery - I am getting on a bit you know. So what?", but of course illness is weakness - look at their campaign about Clinton's apparent ill health.

Barry Admin

I've never seen him as pissed off as he is in that clip. Usually he will squeeze out a fake smile at the very least. There have been a lot of reports about his mood over the weekend, starting with the Berman thing taking attention away from the rally, and then ending with the "1 million tickets" translating to 6200 people actually turning up.

Again, those kids on Tiktok fucking smashed it. Really trolled him right where it hurts.

Thomas

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 21, 2020, 08:15:13 PM
The first half hour was a stand-up routine.

I thought the same. Several repetitive minutes in to his 'ramp' bit, I checked the time and wondered if he was a fan of Stewart Lee.

Mr Banlon

EOLAN

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 21, 2020, 05:16:51 PM
I know this nightmare just keeps topping itself, but thousands of people raucously cheering Trump because he is capable of feebly drinking a glass of water using one hand might be the funniest moment yet.

Not as bad as the time Obama barely wet his lips in Flint, Michigan stating that this was unplanned and definitely not a stunt.

Ferris

^there was a gif of this floating about on twitter, it was top stuff. The lad in front cranked a POWER-YAWN then the guy in that image did the same. It was very funny.

Still, at least Paul Hollywood had a nice time.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 22, 2020, 01:48:30 AM
Bragging about the 1 million tickets : https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1274548486759833600

Beautiful. Fucked all their campaign data too, total and utter result. I knew this rally would be some kind of awesome spectacle, but I never could have foreseen Donald Trump getting his shit so comprehensively pushed in by K-pop Stans.

Ferris

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 22, 2020, 12:41:58 PM

Brett McKenzie is clearly rethinking his life choices though.

monkfromhavana

I can't stop staring at the lady in pink's neck.

Blinder Data

Quote from: monkfromhavana on June 22, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
I can't stop staring at the lady in pink's neck.

For me, it's the guy above the yawner that's got my attention. His face and torso don't look too weighty, but that neck. It can't be pure muscle, can it? I can't explain it. We need a total and complete shutdown of that guy's neck until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

I haven't seen this clip but in principle I agree with Mango Chimes re: Trump's charisma. He's a talented showman and that's why his rallies are usually such a success. (If you want to travel back in time, Matt Taibbi wrote about it in the last campaign.)

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 22, 2020, 12:41:58 PM

As did Bullet Baxter/David Babcock.

Sheffield Wednesday

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

he didn't actually drink any of the water though

Rich Uncle Skeleton

beanheadmcginty

Mr Banlon