Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:58:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Homer Badman

Started by mr. logic, June 20, 2020, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

Problematic now?

'Indignation coordinator' is a vey funny phrase but it's a pretty mean spirited portrayal overall

QDRPHNC

I found it problematic when it went out, because it was shit.

jobotic

No it wasn't. Shit, I mean.

mr. logic

It certainly wasn't shit.

idunnosomename

I remember it being a bit rum

rue the polywhirl

I don't get the relevance of this. That episode is the least of the shows problems. Every else element of Simpsons is problematic now. The representation of Apu. The strangling and child abuse from Homer unto Bart. The constant, I mean absolute constant yellow facing that is present in the entire series. It's a minefield. Just delete all of it.

madhair60

Nah it's spot on mate. "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could". Fucking brilliant. You've got to laugh at yourself sometimes innit.

Ferris

It also has Homer stealing the super sour lemon candy at the beginning. One of the great visual gags.

BritishHobo

I reckon they lean into it, do an episode where it turns out he actually did do it, and we're all culpable in his lie.

I'm not fucking joking.

Sebastian Cobb

Thermal camera scene and oxygen tent scenes.

DrGreggles

One of my favourite episodes.

One for the great comedy stills thread too.

chocolate teapot

MR SIMPSON NOOOO!!!

Homer Simpson sleeps nude in an oxygen tent that he believes gives him sexual powers.

There'll be no accusations just friendly crustaceans under the seeeeaaaa!

It's a great episode.

rack and peanut

"Just thinking about that... sweet, sweet can!"

SavageHedgehog

Blumf

I was confused that it didn't ties into the previous films in the series; Badman's Territory, Return of the Badmen, and Best of the Badmen. It wasn't even a Western!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

"just try to push the right buttons now!"
"we ain't crazy about nuclear power either!"

Petey Pate

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 20, 2020, 10:42:44 PM
I don't get the relevance of this. That episode is the least of the shows problems. Every else element of Simpsons is problematic now. The representation of Apu. The strangling and child abuse from Homer unto Bart. The constant, I mean absolute constant yellow facing that is present in the entire series. It's a minefield. Just delete all of it.

Yes, surely Homer has done far worse things throughout the series than what he's falsely accused of in this particular episode.

Brundle-Fly

She was one of the best Bond Girls and great in The Upper Hand. R.I.P.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on June 20, 2020, 10:42:44 PM
so this sounds a lot like "gawd stupid Indians objecting to Apu, he's a fucking business owner, that's positive"

also the Simpsons should have been cancelled 20 years ago, then they wouldn't have that problem

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 21, 2020, 10:34:59 AM
so this sounds a lot like "gawd stupid Indians objecting to Apu, he's a fucking business owner, that's positive"

also the Simpsons should have been cancelled 20 years ago, then they wouldn't have that problem

I don't exactly see how you can get that kind of impression. For a start, I always thought of him as more of an employee than an owner.

Gulftastic

'Every single Scottish person does it!'

And the cutaway as Gentle Ben is about to crush half his studio audience. A great episode.

buttgammon

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 21, 2020, 11:01:31 AM
'Every single Scottish person does it!'

And the cutaway as Gentle Ben is about to crush half his studio audience. A great episode.

Yes - also the wax lips man pretending to descend a staircase, and "hello Homer, this is God...frey Jones".

ajsmith2

It's the best Simpsons episode humour wise. It's so good that tbh I'm not arsed that a lot of it's contents can and have been mined extensively for memes etc by anti-'woke' grifters and bores.

rack and peanut

Every time I have the misfortune to catch a zombie Simpsons episode they seem to stick rigidly to the A & B plot formula. Rewatching Homer Badman because of this thread it really only has one plotline steaming ahead churning up all the chaos in its wake, because its just a vehicle for some cracking gags.

If Homer Badman should be cancelled its for the explosion at the candy convention, pretty sure someone died in that.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 21, 2020, 11:56:28 AM
It's the best Simpsons episode humour wise. It's so good that tbh I'm not arsed that a lot of it's contents can and have been mined extensively for memes etc by anti-'woke' grifters and bores.

Plus the whole sexual harassment stuff isn't really even the main point of the story IMO, it's more a take on the hysteria of the news media a la brasseye and such. So the anti-woke lot honing in on that is them missing the point.

The real problem with The Simpsons, for me, is Homer drink driving.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 21, 2020, 12:03:19 PM
Plus the whole sexual harassment stuff isn't really even the main point of the story IMO, it's more a take on the hysteria of the news media a la brasseye and such. So the anti-woke lot honing I'm on that is them missing the point.
It's also a one in a million situation with the gummi Venus de Milo on the babysitter's ass. And she's not framed as making anything up. We see Homer from her POV after she feels him touch her ass, all drooling and slobbery. And he'd already skeeved her out by talking about scratching himself in two places at once. She sincerely believes he's a predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFiHxyworFo&list=PLUX6Tp7s2huWefAFkglvULlaWKbUExS7t&index=1

however I sure hope someone got fired for the blunder of showing Homer fully dressed when the mob arrive at their house and then in a dressing-gown and slippers in the next scene to set up the accidental exposure gag.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 21, 2020, 12:25:36 PM
The real problem with The Simpsons, for me, is Homer drink driving.

There's a not-actually-new-now (2003 I think) episode where Homer frames Marge for his own DUI crash!

Sonny_Jim

See you in hell, candy boys!