Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy NFL 2020

Started by maett, June 21, 2020, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maett

Will be an interesting season. Knee taking, possibly empty stadiums, Las Vegas Raiders, Brady and Gronk at the bucs, Miami's all new team, Chiefs improving, Browns buggering up in a myriad of ways and an election in the middle of the season.
DrGreggles could you reactivate the league so I can start poncing about with drafts? Thanks a lot.

DrGreggles

Not sure it's in place yet, but I usually get a notification from ESPN when it's good to go.

Old Thrashbarg

Leagues are usually available to reopen in July I think.

DrGreggles

Would a fully-fit Newton be an upgrade on a past-it Brady for the Pats?

Fr.Bigley

My NFL fantasy is watching unclad NFL players attempting a game of proper rugby league with the lads up north. Rhinos v Patriots.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 29, 2020, 05:26:21 PM
My NFL fantasy is watching unclad NFL players attempting a game of proper rugby league with the lads up north. Rhinos v Patriots.

The rugby players would be absolutely decimated.

Old Thrashbarg

Depends what game they were playing. The rugby league players would very comfortably win a game of rugby league.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 29, 2020, 05:21:26 PM
Would a fully-fit Newton be an upgrade on a past-it Brady for the Pats?

Possibly, but the Patriots' offence has been built around Brady's strengths. i.e. accurate pocket passing. Which is not Newton's strength. So it'll be interesting to see how they change things if/when Cam plays.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 29, 2020, 07:10:52 PM
The rugby players would be absolutely decimated.

I'm talking about pure, unadulterated smashed in the face with a toothless grin levels of violence. 22 stone vs 190 pounds type rage. Janet Jacksons nipple slip vs Jane McDonald singing some shite. Its a no brainer because concussion is part and parcel of northern life. I put my money on league any day

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 29, 2020, 08:39:28 PM
I'm talking about pure, unadulterated smashed in the face with a toothless grin levels of violence. 22 stone vs 190 pounds type rage. Janet Jacksons nipple slip vs Jane McDonald singing some shite. Its a no brainer because concussion is part and parcel of northern life. I put my money on league any day

NFL players hit several orders of magnitude harder than rugby players, and many of them are dim enough that they would not notice the sudden loss of protective padding, ergo they would continue to hit dangerously hard and would demolish the rugby lads. No contest.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 29, 2020, 07:25:21 PM
Possibly, but the Patriots' offence has been built around Brady's strengths. i.e. accurate pocket passing. Which is not Newton's strength. So it'll be interesting to see how they change things if/when Cam plays.

It'll give them the option of a rushing QB though, which will allow them a bit of variation that Brady couldn't offer.

I suppose Belichick has earned the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt...

Fr.Bigley

I want to agree. I also want to disagree. I guess with athletes of that ilk, it's all a much of a muchness. I've seen some absolutely torrid injuries simply for the love of the game in league and the NFL and our lads they get paid not even a tenth for more work. Rugby a marathon, NFL  a relay. NFL is fast and more exciting when the  play is on but the stop start of it all is a metaphor for America...One long commercial with a tiny bit of content in the middle.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 29, 2020, 08:47:18 PM
NFL players hit several orders of magnitude harder than rugby players, and many of them are dim enough that they would not notice the sudden loss of protective padding, ergo they would continue to hit dangerously hard and would demolish the rugby lads. No contest.

https://youtu.be/MBjUJ4yaiCE - here's Jarryd Hayne, rugby league player, during his brief foray into the NFL.

They're completely different sports in terms of physical requirements. Rugby players are largely all-round athletes, capable of constant work for 80 minutes. NFL players are suited to explosive, short bursts of energy.

One area NFL players would struggle with enormously in rugby league is the ball handling. The level of ability in the NFL for picking up a loose ball is genuinely appalling, even amongst the 'skill' players. Which is understandable for the majority, given that they're basically never expected to touch the ball. But even the RBs and WRs, who can make ridiculous one-hand catches at times, go to bits as soon as the ball goes to the floor.

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 29, 2020, 09:20:58 PM
One area NFL players would struggle with enormously in rugby league is the ball handling. The level of ability in the NFL for picking up a loose ball is genuinely appalling, even amongst the 'skill' players. Which is understandable for the majority, given that they're basically never expected to touch the ball. But even the RBs and WRs, who can make ridiculous one-hand catches at times, go to bits as soon as the ball goes to the floor.

In your dreams, buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uqm9Gnd_FM

Old Thrashbarg

That's an interception. Not a loose ball on the ground.

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 30, 2020, 11:53:28 AM
That's an interception. Not a loose ball on the ground.

It was a joke.

Though in all seriousness, with some practice a third tier NFL running back would hold his own against the best rugby players in the world.

EOLAN

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 30, 2020, 05:48:28 PM
It was a joke.

Though in all seriousness, with some practice a third tier NFL running back would hold his own against the best rugby players in the world.

I thought corner-backs and safetys would probably be better but running backs may have the better staying power.
Last year Pats team wasn't really set-up for Brady who is on the downward trend. A fit Newton may offer more options and better suit some of the recently drafted wide receivers.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 30, 2020, 05:48:28 PM
It was a joke.

Assuming that's not another joke, they really, really wouldn't. In terms of athleticism they'd be brilliant, and that would probably be enough for them to play at a reasonable level. But that's probably the limit without years of practice,

DrGreggles

BTW, the league has been reactivated

maett

cheers! That'll give me something to do.

DrGreggles

Minnesota Vikings have announced that their Infection Control Officer has tested positive for coronavirus

Dex Sawash

The american flag (american)football on the FUBO channel is not bad.
The blue team on now has a fat QB with big moobs but  he can hurl.

Dex Sawash

^check out this dunce. It's a replay from 2018

EOLAN

Can we keep the crazy style scoring of last year. Think it may actually help rookies a bit more as well. Although it is no good following online or podcast advice much.

Also; how much should potential Covid-19 should impact on selection; apart from those who have already pulled out as a result. Will teams in more lenient states have more flexibility around training and/or more at risk picking up the Vid.

DrGreggles

Quote from: EOLAN on August 14, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
Can we keep the crazy style scoring of last year. Think it may actually help rookies a bit more as well. Although it is no good following online or podcast advice much.

It wasn't deliberately crazy!
Just wanted to make D/ST count for more + bonuses for big game stats.

I've set it to 'a bit less crazy' this year.

Old Thrashbarg

Will kick/punt returners still be potentially the most valuable players on the team? Was quite fun having, say, Kenjon Barner score 200 points and beat the rest of the team all by himself one week, then score 0 the next.

DrGreggles

Some idiot accidentally set up ST as 1 point for every yard instead of 1 point for every 10 yards...

Still, same rules for everyone, I suppose.

maett

It did make for opponents returns being terrifying affairs as gaps opened up. Conversely,  I've never been so angry at my players taking a knee or fair catch when they could have ran for 3 yards before being hir by a 17 stone man running at full pelt.

DrGreggles

Season due to start with TNF on 10th September, so we need to schedule the draft.
Next Sunday (6th) at 6pm good for everyone?

https://fantasy.espn.com/football/league/join?leagueId=7451151&inviteId=d5f76242-50fd-47ca-aebd-a34b2930f43f