Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Masks [split topic]

Started by Harry Badger, June 16, 2020, 01:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 22, 2020, 12:22:08 PM
I'm mocking your gloomy, obstinate perspective.

Oh.

I actually own a mask and wear it to Morrisons when I do my shops.

So suck it.

olliebean

There is some evidence that people wearing seatbelts tend to drive at higher speeds. This is an example of a more general principle that reducing one element of risk in a given scenario will tend to result in people being less cautious about the other risks of that scenario. There is also some evidence that people wearing masks are less likely to observe social distancing, which is another example of the same principle. So it seems like a perfectly reasonable analogy. But I think it may not be making the point SW intended it to make.

Ferris

Quote from: Pranet on June 21, 2020, 09:29:22 PM
It also does encourage other people to wear them. I know this from personal experience. Had to go into a Wilkinsons today, I kind of couldn't be bothered with wearing a mask but of a four person queue two of them were wearing masks so I did wear one. The person working at the till was wearing one as well, it is rare in my experience to see a shop worker wearing a mask.

Mad isn't it? That's how I am as well. I always wear one if I go into a shared space with Joe public (grocery stores and err... that's about the only place I go) but just walking about I don't bother.

...unless I notice lots of other people walking are wearing them, in which case I think "ooh must be a rona warning on!" and wear mine.

Puce Moment

Went to the GP surgery to get blood taken and people were being turned away for not wearing a mask. Pretty impressed.

Sheffield Wednesday

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2020, 12:33:28 PM
Oh.

I actually own a mask and wear it to Morrisons when I do my shops.

Good man. It's a war of attrition against these scum.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 22, 2020, 03:04:05 PM

You should see me deliberately fondle all the chicken dippers, chips and booze. Killing all these scummers one bacteria at a time.

Barry Admin

"scum" - the majority of them are just fucking normies, that's all. Convention-following, easily-manipulated-by-meeja-and-government normies.

Sheffield Wednesday

I'm just being motivational. I cry for these poor bastards almost every night.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 22, 2020, 03:04:05 PM

Not sure why the good people behind Morrisons are getting singled out like this

Brian Freeze

Yesterday I saw them mostly being worn as chin warmers.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 23, 2020, 12:52:44 AM
Yesterday I saw them mostly being worn as chin warmers.

A bus passed me a little while ago and most people on it were wearing their masks on their chins.

I think I've found my new favourite pathetic self-defeating show of defiance to power, knocking "putting your seatbelt on when the National Express driver is doing his inspection and then immediately undoing it again when the engine starts up" into second place.

Small Man Big Horse

I've noticed a few people (including my young, presumably smart local pharmacist) wearing those big plastic visor face shield things rather than the cloth masks, does anyone know if they're worth buying / wearing? I've done a cursory look online but opinion seems mixed...

olliebean

I doubt it's a deliberate show of defiance. More likely it's just that the damn things are so uncomfortable to keep on, especially in the current warm weather, that people pull them down as soon as they think they can get away with it. Coupled with the fact that by refusing to mandate or even recommend any wearing of masks whatsoever for so long, the government has trained people to believe they're not really necessary.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Malcy on June 16, 2020, 04:38:14 PM
Very few. Really only see them in supermarkets and it's less than 10% of the people in them. Do you get a funny look while wearing one? Friend of mine said where he is if you were a mask people stare at you strangely.

Sorry, only just noticed this thread had been split! I've not noticed any strange looks, though I did get a volley of abuse from a crazy while going to the shop the other week. I had headphones in so I couldn't make it all out, but the phrase 'shove your fucking head up your arse' featured. I've heard stories from America where mask-wearers were getting started on, apparently just for wearing a mask (this was before George Floyd).

Sin Agog

Quote from: olliebean on June 22, 2020, 01:16:36 PM
There is some evidence that people wearing seatbelts tend to drive at higher speeds. This is an example of a more general principle that reducing one element of risk in a given scenario will tend to result in people being less cautious about the other risks of that scenario. There is also some evidence that people wearing masks are less likely to observe social distancing, which is another example of the same principle. So it seems like a perfectly reasonable analogy. But I think it may not be making the point SW intended it to make.

Didn't seem to be like this in practice on the beach today (had to cycle through it to get to my secret spot).  If I saw someone with a mask on, they clearly still remembered what all this hubbub was over: they cycled and walked on the very edge of the road far away from you whilst sporting a fittingly furrowed brow.  Alas, I only saw about four people with masks on the entire day.  The rest could not give less of a shit.  Convening in the center of a small lane so you couldn't even abide by a 20 centimetre rule; taking a gulp out of a champagne bottle, then shake-and-spraying it on all and sundry; actively stepping towards you 'cause you have a mask on and they can see you're trying to weave away from them.  There are whelks smarter than your average Briton. Certainly ones with more empathy.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Sin Agog on June 23, 2020, 08:46:19 PM
actively stepping towards you 'cause you have a mask on and they can see you're trying to weave away from them.

What the fuck?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 23, 2020, 02:44:46 PM
I've noticed a few people (including my young, presumably smart local pharmacist) wearing those big plastic visor face shield things rather than the cloth masks, does anyone know if they're worth buying / wearing? I've done a cursory look online but opinion seems mixed...

Just from a work point of view...

Pros:  people can see your face / lips so good for lipreading and identification, better for those with skin or panic problems and most are spacious enough to wear glasses under.  Also it's nice for wearers to have an item they can reuse as it reduces waste and environmental concerns. 

Cons:  they can steam up, need to be kept clean, there is a concern aerosol droplets will still be inhaled from the bottom and sides but no mask or visor is 100% so it's a balance of what you need. 

olliebean

The visors are more for the protection of the wearer than the masks, and they should be worn in addition to the masks, not instead of them.

Captain Crunch

Sorry I'm talking about environments where any face covering is voluntary.  At work the visors are offered for people dealing with the public and yes they have access to masks too. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 23, 2020, 09:42:15 PM
Just from a work point of view...

Pros:  people can see your face / lips so good for lipreading and identification, better for those with skin or panic problems and most are spacious enough to wear glasses under.  Also it's nice for wearers to have an item they can reuse as it reduces waste and environmental concerns. 

Cons:  they can steam up, need to be kept clean, there is a concern aerosol droplets will still be inhaled from the bottom and sides but no mask or visor is 100% so it's a balance of what you need.

Quote from: olliebean on June 23, 2020, 09:47:35 PM
The visors are more for the protection of the wearer than the masks, and they should be worn in addition to the masks, not instead of them.

Thanks for both responses, they're only a fiver so I think I'll pick one up and then wear it along with the mask to feel a little safer.

Captain Crunch

If it's not for work you could paint some white lines on it and pretend to be Kendo Nagasaki. 

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Uncle TechTip

Surely visors are for those coming into regular close contact with different people, like serving in a shop, you wouldn't mooch around town with one?

Barry Admin

Can't find the report to paste in, but CNN are saying that if 95% of Americans wore masks, it would save upto 30,000 lives over the next few months. Think this is part of Dr Fauci's spiel today where he's also saying that masks shouldn't be a political issue.

Which is quite right of course, particularly given the evidence for asymptomatic spreaders.

To echo the discussion in another thread, the leaders - Trump particularly - aren't leading by example.

Gonna paste these images in from the Trump thread too:

Yeah this is gonna be good:

Quote from: Trump fan reacting to thousands of people in the stadium shouting "four more years" without a mask in sightlook at that beautiful sea of freedom loving americans refusing to wear the face diapers of oppression - love it!!!

H-O-W-L

Barry Admin

Barry Admin

Longer clip of the first woman in that video above.

What in the actual fuck. You always had headers and conspiraloons, but it feels like the internet just breeds them wholesale.

A bloke on CNN reckons that masks are such a big issue over there because the rest of the world has more of a sense of social consciousness, whereas America's whole thing is to play up he idea of the individual.

Barry Admin

The BBC have a video now too, with even more footage of other tossers. Absolutely can't get enough of this shit, it's astonishing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

Dex Sawash

Dickhead at work is angry because he read today on facebook you aren't allowed to concealed carry if you have a mask on. He refuses wear a mask anyway.