Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 22, 2020, 03:37:11 PM
Think your post pretty perfectly exemplifies Barry's reason for splitting the thread.

You have earned one Golden & Official Barry Pat On The Head.

Quote from: earl_sleek on June 22, 2020, 03:35:59 PM
He actively searches out conversations that don't involve him, between people that are nothing to do with him, and butts into them. He cannot then in good faith complain that he gets responses.

Now this is more what I was looking for. When people say I should research myself, I have to ask, 'What am I supposed to trawl through years of his Twitter feed?' And I expect half of it is deleted/edited now anyway.

But you've given me a more solid idea of things. And if that is what he does, well. Okay maybe he is just a tit then.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:48:53 PM
You have earned one Golden & Official Barry Pat On The Head.

Now this is more what I was looking for. When people say I should research myself, I have to ask, 'What am I supposed to trawl through years of his Twitter feed?' And I expect half of it is deleted/edited now anyway.

But you've given me a more solid idea of things. And if that is what he does, well. Okay maybe he is just a tit then.

mate, what you're doing is an absolutely archetypal example of daisychaining:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/daisychaining

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 22, 2020, 03:51:31 PM
Why do you feel this way?

Why don't I suck up to Barry? Because his ego is big enough already.

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on June 22, 2020, 04:03:24 PM
mate, what you're doing is an absolutely archetypal example of daisychaining:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/daisychaining

I've been called a sea-lioner, a daisychainer. All sorts of things. What people don't know is that I'm actually a shrub rocketeer.

here4glinner

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Has anyone ever tried to open a level-headed dialogue with him about this? Or has it all been 'You must get on hands and knees and apologise to our mob?'

Only probably tens of thousands of people.

Your anti-Irish bigotry is gross. Hundreds of pages of people slagging off Glinner and none of them make some 1970s-era anti-Irish 'joke', and then some 'maybe both sides' person pops up and says 'Irish = alcoholics, amirite? lols.'

QDRPHNC

I don't think he's an anti-Irish bigot, it was just a poorly-timed joke.

But seriously, DttN, go to Google and type in "Graham Linehan transphobia" and read some of that.

It might not answer all your questions, but it's at least a starting point.

Zetetic

Having read this thread, I feel much better about how much Bosto's wind-ups get a rise out of me.

Buelligan

We should maybe consider not starting a support group.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 22, 2020, 04:18:36 PM

Surely it's the English who are famous for their lack of control where alcohol is concerned.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 22, 2020, 04:18:36 PM

But seriously, DttN, go to Google and type in "Graham Linehan transphobia" and read some of that.

It might not answer all your questions, but it's at least a starting point.

I'll look it up, properly, before I post again.

I am a militant anti-Irish bigot though.

marquis_de_sad

Puce Moment

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 10:38:20 AMBut Glinner hasn't made a show about trans people, and I doubt he ever will.

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 10:48:42 AMFair enough, I didn't know that. I dropped out after the first series.

Seriously though - so many opinions and comments and yet so little awareness of what the fuck is actually happening. An interesting form of thread-shitting you have developed there.

chveik

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 22, 2020, 04:43:59 PM
An interesting form of thread-shitting you have developed there.

he's merely keeping the thread on topic

bgmnts

Oh, default to the negative is just a bellend, wading into a debate he has no knowledge of, forming an opinion from the position of complete ignorance and expecting everyone else to do his research for him.

I like it.

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 03:24:16 PM
This thread split was entirely for attention-seeking contrarians like you, so knock yourself out.

See, Barry gave me free license. He made this thread as containment zone for people like me. So I have free reign, don't I? This is the special playground.

I looked up 'Graham Linehan Transphobia', as suggested. I have to admit, he seems to be taking this on as some kind of cause. He should probably go and be quiet for a while.

BUT I think there is still a provocation here, something that made him so obstinate in the first place.

QuoteThe award-winning Father Ted, Black Books, and The IT Crowd writer (who is currently co-writing a Father Ted musical) became involved in the issue after an episode of The IT Crowd in which Douglas Reynholm's character unknowingly dates a woman who turns out to be transgender.

"I thought the episode was harmless. Though it could have been better," Linehan says. After it aired, he was called a bigot on Twitter. Linehan distinguishes between the character, who is transphobic, and calling the episode, or himself, transphobic.

"Some people don't see the problem repeating the dogma [that] trans women are women," says Linehan, who has a problem with "privileged white people saying you must accept anyone who says they are a woman".

"Some people have a seriously held belief that trans women are literally women. So if someone who identifies as a woman is attracted to a woman, they are considered a lesbian. There have been protests at pride parades in London and New Zealand, from lesbians who say this is affecting lesbians on the ground."

Linehan says he is astonished the argument has got so far. "A lot of transgender people agree with me. I'm not transphobic. Because of this debate, I now have a number of friends who are trans, and they don't agree with this dogma."

Well. Is it so hard to consider his point of view? You don't have to agree with it, to consider it. Maybe his views are outdated, but there's no need to burn him in a big Celtic wickerman, which is what most of you seem to want.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 03:19:53 PM
Oh no, a wikipedia theory! You've really caught me with my trousers down this time.

You were being a nob like that sealion tho

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Zetetic on June 22, 2020, 04:24:52 PM
Having read this thread, I feel much better about how much Bosto's wind-ups get a rise out of me.

Fair play to him, he has a system, it's a well oiled machine, it works. No shame in getting bostod. Guys a pro

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on June 22, 2020, 05:51:03 PM
You were being a nob like that sealion tho

Everyone is a nob on here. I make no apologies for meeting nobbery with nobbery.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Default to the negative on June 22, 2020, 05:49:50 PM
BUT I think there is still a provocation here, something that made him so obstinate in the first place.

This is such dull, obvious bait. People are mean to Glinner so that justifies him waging a hate campaign against people such as myself. If you're seriously not trolling, really consider the distance you have and the position you're in where you can just treat this as 'debate' and not a life or death issue.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 22, 2020, 07:22:33 PM
really consider the distance you have and the position you're in where you can just treat this as 'debate' and not a life or death issue.

Glinner-bashing is a life or death issue?

Barry Admin

Just to clarify: there's no doubt that he's trolling, it's what he does. When he's particularly drunk/needy he starts cracking out the ablelism and misogyny - he's on a final warning so has been trying to sail as close to the wire as possible in this thread with the Irish comments etc.

You were bang on with the sealioning link, so I'd advise caution about getting particularly serious about the issues, because he will mock you for it and try to upset you for his own sad gratification.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: here4glinner on June 22, 2020, 04:13:00 PM
Only probably tens of thousands of people.

Your anti-Irish bigotry is gross. Hundreds of pages of people slagging off Glinner and none of them make some 1970s-era anti-Irish 'joke', and then some 'maybe both sides' person pops up and says 'Irish = alcoholics, amirite? lols.'
To be fair, as a nation we aren't able to handle our drink in a sensible way. But I wouldn't expect a forum comprised largely of Tans to know anything about Ireland beyond stupid stereotypes and it being over there someplace. They don't know and don't want to know. Go ahead and mock us as drunks who can't produce incredible comedy. We wrote gay marriage into our Constitution. Did you? OH WAIT, you don't even have one.

bgmnts

I dont know much about Ireland but I do love St Patty's Day.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 07:33:28 PM
I'd advise caution about getting particularly serious about the issues, because he will mock you for it and try to upset you for his own sad gratification.

Wonderful individual.

Buelligan

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 07:40:34 PM
To be fair, as a nation we aren't able to handle our drink in a sensible way. But I wouldn't expect a forum comprised largely of Tans to know anything about Ireland beyond stupid stereotypes and it being over there someplace. They don't know and don't want to know. Go ahead and mock us as drunks who can't produce incredible comedy. We wrote gay marriage into our Constitution. Did you? OH WAIT, you don't even have one.

At the risk of repeating myself, I work in a place were tourists drink, I can promise you that it is the English who are renowned and despised for having no sense or control when it comes to drink, certainly in Europe.

Chollis