Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing [split topic]

Started by QDRPHNC, June 20, 2020, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf



Quote from: daf on September 06, 2021, 11:47:37 AM
A Clump or Clod?

clod please.
A soddery?

Could call them "Bananadrama", the three of them on his podcast

A midnight grand prix?

Barry Admin

Must admit, I'm amazed that people go as far as posting there. The amount of advertising is unreal, but actually posting on "Prosecco Stormfront" just ensures its continued success and prominence.

bgmnts

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 06, 2021, 01:01:13 PM
Must admit, I'm amazed that people go as far as posting there. The amount of advertising is unreal, but actually posting on "Prosecco Stormfront" just ensures its continued success and prominence.

One could argue that the constant Glin watch gives him extra exposure and prominence too though. It's all part of the same morbid merry-go-round.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 01:03:40 PM
One could argue that the constant Glin watch gives him extra exposure and prominence too though. It's all part of the same morbid merry-go-round.

nah, disagree. the cab glinner threads have even been flagged up by prominent trans activists as a useful resource (and yes I am a tiny bit proud of it, lol, not that i'm the one contributing much to them)

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 01:03:40 PM
One could argue that the constant Glin watch gives him extra exposure and prominence too though. It's all part of the same morbid merry-go-round.

But what to do, bgmnts, what to do?  Following that line we could adopt the rule never to speak of anything that is not both good and beautiful (and clever).  But life would be duller and more ignorant for it.  I never visit MN, I think I've only been there once, ever, when I was pointed at it by a conversation here.  Took me about 45 seconds to realise it was not an interesting place at all.  Never went back.  It's like reading one of the UKs godawful papers, why would one do it if one had the choice?

The glinner threads - their fucking titles - have given me enormous pleasure, obvs. 

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on September 06, 2021, 01:10:34 PM
But what to do, bgmnts, what to do?  Following that line we could adopt the rule never to speak of anything that is not both good and beautiful (and clever).  But life would be duller and more ignorant for it.  I never visit MN, I think I've only been there once, ever, when I was pointed at it by a conversation here.  Took me about 45 seconds to realise it was not an interesting place at all.  Never went back.  It's like reading one of the UKs godawful papers, why would one do it if one had the choice?

The glinner threads - their fucking titles - have given me enormous pleasure.

The titles are incredible, I will say.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2021, 01:06:29 PM
nah, disagree. the cab glinner threads have even been flagged up by prominent trans activists as a useful resource (and yes I am a tiny bit proud of it, lol, not that i'm the one contributing much to them)

Yeah that's fair I suppose.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 06, 2021, 01:01:13 PM
Must admit, I'm amazed that people go as far as posting there. The amount of advertising is unreal, but actually posting on "Prosecco Stormfront" just ensures its continued success and prominence.

In it's defence, it is big and very busy, so after you've skipped the trans stuff, and the rich person dilemma stuff, there is still some interesting things to read. Some heartening threads with people talking about their cancer, or escaping domestic abuse.

I think I've posted there a couple of times, can't remember about what, and I stopped reading a couple of years ago. My impression is it's got a lot worse on the trans stuff, but that might just be I'm less able to over look it now.

Oh, being a parent might make a difference too.

imitationleather

September 06, 2021, 02:32:41 PM #729 Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by imitationleather
I'm always totally stumped whenever I go on MumsNet because I find it impossible to navigate.

Maybe if I ever have a child I'll understand how to read it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!


Quote from: MojoJojo on September 06, 2021, 01:56:00 PM
In it's defence, it is big and very busy, so after you've skipped the trans stuff, and the rich person dilemma stuff, there is still some interesting things to read. Some heartening threads with people talking about their cancer, or escaping domestic abuse.

I think it's an interesting place too, outside of Twitter it's probably the biggest site in the UK where people can post anonymously so can be interesting for gauging the nation's (mainly female) opinion.

There's a huge amount of trolling, threads/posts deleted by the minute - moderating it must be a nightmare.

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on September 06, 2021, 02:32:41 PM
I'm always totally stumped whenever I go on MumsNet because I find it impossible to navigate.

Maybe if I ever have a child I'll understand how to read it.


They say you never understand the Mumsnet Document Object Model until you've got held a child of your own in your arms.

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 06, 2021, 03:06:51 PM
I think it's an interesting place too, outside of Twitter it's probably the biggest site in the UK where people can post anonymously so can be interesting for gauging the nation's (mainly female) opinion.

There's a huge amount of trolling, threads/posts deleted by the minute - moderating it must be a nightmare.

Is intersting, as you say.  The Pistonheads forums are similar, all be it the male equivlent.   

Cuellar


Kankurette

Feminism and Women's Rights is TERF central. They've got a sub forum for sex and gender debate, but it gets EVERYWHERE. AIBU always has threads about pronouns and how woke[nb]on Mumsnet, wokeness is about being pro-trans rather than black social consciousness[/nb] the youth of today are.

It's actually had invasions from Pistonheads. ARRSE as well, spamming them with rape porn and pictures of battered women, which is not doing much to counter the idea that the military is full of violent rapists.

Sebastian Cobb

Saw someone describing a very simple graph they were too dim to understand as 'woke' earlier.



Kankurette


Dr Rock

'We didn't get anything without bloody hard work' yes you did, you got a council house. A house!

Shoulders?-Stomach!


Quote from: Kankurette on September 06, 2021, 04:50:05 PM
AIBU always has threads about pronouns and how woke[1] the youth of today are.

When FWR invade AIBU it's always a loaded question like "AIBU to think that a man shouldn't be able to go in a spa and stick his penis in a small female child's face?"

When the vote is (obviously) in their favour they then use that to say that 98% of women in the UK don't want transwomen in single sex spaces.


Barry Admin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2021, 04:57:15 PM
Saw someone describing a very simple graph they were too dim to understand as 'woke' earlier.


Woke graphs, fucking hell 😂 people really will just use their stupid, popular buzzwords for everything.



gilbertharding

That graph vs wokeness... I wonder if the blue line is average personal earnings, or average household income. Because they used to calculate mortgage affordability (and therefore the market price of a house) on the basis that only one person (probably the husband) would be working. I mean, that would be the beginnings of a point, if Mr Woke was informed enough to make it.

idunnosomename

Martin Milne is now the most famous paedophile on the internet. Congratulations Martin

Zetetic

 
Quote from: gilbertharding on September 06, 2021, 06:47:45 PM
I mean, that would be the beginnings of a point, if Mr Woke was informed enough to make it.
I think you'd need most households to be 20 person polycules to care.

Kankurette

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 06, 2021, 05:33:16 PM
Woke graphs, fucking hell 😂 people really will just use their stupid, popular buzzwords for everything.
Things that are 'woke', according to various fuckwits on the internet:
- Graphs
- Thinking trans women are women
- Pen Farthing's fan club, i.e. people who think dogs and cats should be airlifted out of Afghanistan ahead of people, which is pretty ironic given that these types tend to be the sort of people who would much rather save animals than refugees because herp derp they're all terrorists anyway
- Adverts with black people in
- Thinking G-d Save the Queen is a dirge
- History, unless it says that the British Empire was Good, Actually
- Getting angry and shouting at people for disagreeing with your opinions
- Pronouns, generally
- Sir Keith
- Gareth Southgate
- Asking people not to use racist slurs
- Feminism
- The majority of kids' books

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kankurette on September 06, 2021, 10:14:10 AM
Why though? He posts there.
But so much of it is just "look at this stupid opinion from someone", and has nothing to do with Glinner.