Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner V: The Dream(ed up) Child (molestors): A New Carbon-era

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2020, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Atwood is probably the only famous person I've had a proper conversation with, as she came into my place of work in Norwich when she was the visiting Unesco world literature heritage persony thing. She was (not surprisingly really) down to Earth, cultured and pleasant. I did chuckle away at her thinking Bella Italia was some kind of quaint or esoteric restaurant rather than being chain desolation, though.

mippy

Haven't read any Atwood but she always comes across as a super cool lady. She would never tell you to shut UP! and fuck OFF!

popcorn

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 07, 2020, 10:44:25 PM
Atwood is probably the only famous person I've had a proper conversation with, as she came into my place of work in Norwich when she was the visiting Unesco world literature heritage persony thing. She was (not surprisingly really) down to Earth, cultured and pleasant. I did chuckle away at her thinking Bella Italia was some kind of quaint or esoteric restaurant rather than being chain desolation, though.

She must have had a rude awakening. Didn't she live in Norwich a long time ago?

Twit 2

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone noticed that Atwood appeared on that Harper letter? The people who were bigging her up for disagreeing with Rowling are also going off about the people on it, while pretending she's not on it, on my feed at least.

Chomsky's also on it.

Blue Jam

Yes, that Harper letter is a bit confusing now because of all this. What is it they want exactly?

Salman Rushdie's on it too. Because having a fatwa called for your execution and going into hiding in fear of your life is exactly like losing Twitter followers until you only have 14 million left.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Cuellar on July 07, 2020, 10:41:00 PM
Yeah :( In my defence I deleted the tweet about 5 minutes after sending it but obviously it had been cached somewhere.

And at least you didn't tweet " Do you regret calling that umpire the pits of the earth at Wimbledon in 1981?" ( referencing her physical resemblance to John McEnroe, the Tennis Player- turned- Commentator), she might have got in the huff about that.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2020, 09:57:38 AM
Has anyone noticed that Atwood appeared on that Harper letter? The people who were bigging her up for disagreeing with Rowling are also going off about the people on it, while pretending she's not on it, on my feed at least.

Chomsky's also on it.

Weird letter. I kinda agree with the sentiments of it, which I guess is the point, but in practice a lot of the people complaining aren't concerned about academics not being allowed to research certain subjects. What subjects are these, anyway? 'Race-realism'?

There's a lack of brass tacks in the letter. No real-world examples, just a general concern about people not being able to pursue lines of thought without getting in trouble.

Again, I think that nobodies should be allowed to make mistakes without being fired - although they should be criticised. These celebrities - in fact all self-employed people, or corporations - I'm self-employed too. You know the risks when you get into it. If my clients stop wanting to work with me because I said Hitler had some good ideas on Twitter, then that's my own dumb fault.

Lest we forget, JK Rowling might come in for a bit of stick these days, but Atwood came in for a lot of stick for disagreeing with her. It's not beyond the trans-haters to try to dox you for 'being a misogynist' for having the temerity to disagree with a woman. They tried to boycott the Body Shop a few weeks ago because they said something in favour of trans rights in opposition to Rowling, which the anti-trans folks attempted to paint as 'mocking a domestic violence survivor'. So it's not even just 'the woke' who try to cancel people.

Sebastian Cobb

I agree with the general sentiment that a lot of people on the list have mixed up being told to stfu with being silenced, but I think people definitely are cherry picking the baddies.

sevendaughters

They've all picked the wrong places to sound off about stuff to be honest.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 08, 2020, 10:05:43 AM
Weird letter. I kinda agree with the sentiments of it, which I guess is the point, but in practice a lot of the people complaining aren't concerned about academics not being allowed to research certain subjects. What subjects are these, anyway? 'Race-realism'?

There's a lack of brass tacks in the letter. No real-world examples, just a general concern about people not being able to pursue lines of thought without getting in trouble.

Again, I think that nobodies should be allowed to make mistakes without being fired - although they should be criticised. These celebrities - in fact all self-employed people, or corporations - I'm self-employed too. You know the risks when you get into it. If my clients stop wanting to work with me because I said Hitler had some good ideas on Twitter, then that's my own dumb fault.

Lest we forget, JK Rowling might come in for a bit of stick these days, but Atwood came in for a lot of stick for disagreeing with her. It's not beyond the trans-haters to try to dox you for 'being a misogynist' for having the temerity to disagree with a woman. They tried to boycott the Body Shop a few weeks ago because they said something in favour of trans rights in opposition to Rowling, which the anti-trans folks attempted to paint as 'mocking a domestic violence survivor'. So it's not even just 'the woke' who try to cancel people.
Jennifer Finney Boylan has already said that she wouldn't have signed if she'd known the entire roster of signatories and if she'd looked a little harder at what it was she was endorsing https://twitter.com/jennyboylan/status/1280646004136697863?s=21

JaDanketies

if Glinner ain't this JamesBarry character - in fact, if he's not on Twitter - he's done really well for himself. He's not updated anything I've bothered checking for about a week, not even his website. If he's cold turkeyed, he will be coming out of it now. A fortnight away from it and he might even start to get some clarity of mind.

I kinda feel the same. I know I keep going on about it but I was addicted to hating him, and those who supported him. I used to post on BBSes like this all the time until I was about 21 or 22, and then Facebook, Reddit, Twitter etc, Twitter being the most ultra-addictive. I've even taken to muting conversations on Twitter now. I used to think about Glinner and terfery in the shower. I rarely get the chance to drop acid these days and last time I had the chance, I took 2cb instead because I was worried I was thinking about Glinner too much for LSD.

I think lockdown really exacerbated it, too. Anything to not think about coronavirus, or argue about Black Lives Matter endlessly. Just 'hate this guy, he's a cunt'. Simple and easy for the mind to deal with. No large concepts, no shades of grey.

Thank you, Twitter mods.

Barry Admin

That sounded hopeful so I checked Glindr, and, yep, he's glinding again after a 4-day absence, in order to stir more shit about the Tavistock. Also this:

Maybe don't check your DM's or block him or something, past-Graham? I had people trying to hassle me in hospital this time last year, but I already had alerts off so missed most of it.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 03:45:57 PM
That sounded hopeful so I checked Glindr, and, yep, he's glinding again after a 4-day absence

It'll be hard to squeeze much dopamine out of them two replies and 13 likes....

Interestingly (for past-me, who was interested in Glinner), this supports my suspicions that his preoccupation with trans issues directly relates to his testicular cancer.

I had a big ol' ball once. It was a hydrocele and they had to chop into my scrotum. The 'C' word was used in early consultations, but they shone a torch through it and it lit up like a Chinese lantern, which showed it was full of water and not a tumour. It's still about four times the size of the other ball, a little bit tender if I touch it wrong, and it gets in the way. If I wear the wrong pants, I look like I'm really well hung, but sorry ladies, it's all ballsack.

Maybe this relates to my preoccupation with Glinner.

Barry Admin

Quote from: JaDanketiesInterestingly (for past-me, who was interested in Glinner), this supports my suspicions that his preoccupation with trans issues directly relates to his testicular cancer.

I've openly wondered the same thing as well, and I think at least one other person on these threads (Sheepy?) has done likewise. It would seem to make a kind of sense, given what a massive control freak he is, that he would be viscerally disgusted by people having elective surgery to remove parts he'd really rather have hung on to himself.

And in response to your other post, yep, I've had to watch myself there as well. I'm fascinated by the whole debate that has sprung up about trans issues, but also realise how addictive it is to hate people and constantly snipe at them, and have deliberately stepped away from these threads before - or limited my interaction with them - lest I start to glinner full-time.

tomasrojo

Quote from: Jumblegraws on July 08, 2020, 11:27:26 AM
Jennifer Finney Boylan has already said that she wouldn't have signed if she'd known the entire roster of signatories and if she'd looked a little harder at what it was she was endorsing https://twitter.com/jennyboylan/status/1280646004136697863?s=21

I guess her publicist can't stop her now:
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1280834668552769536

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 08, 2020, 03:53:41 PM

It'll be hard to squeeze much dopamine out of them two replies and 13 likes....

Interestingly (for past-me, who was interested in Glinner), this supports my suspicions that his preoccupation with trans issues directly relates to his testicular cancer.

I had a big ol' ball once. It was a hydrocele and they had to chop into my scrotum. The 'C' word was used in early consultations, but they shone a torch through it and it lit up like a Chinese lantern, which showed it was full of water and not a tumour. It's still about four times the size of the other ball, a little bit tender if I touch it wrong, and it gets in the way. If I wear the wrong pants, I look like I'm really well hung, but sorry ladies, it's all ballsack.

Maybe this relates to my preoccupation with Glinner.

I have a benign cyst on my right ball, too. It, like yours, is a little tender but otherwise fine. Maybe that's why I'm so invested in Glinner.

(Let's see if we can start an "I'm Spartacus" like ripple.)

idunnosomename

the "Goody Rowling" jibe is so Glinner

also OH NO A DM WHILE IM IN A HOSPITAL BED EATING GRAPES AND DRINKING LUCOZADE. HOW DARE THEY *faints*
get off your phone mate

Barry Admin

Quote from: tomasrojo on July 08, 2020, 04:07:52 PM
I guess her publicist can't stop her now:
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1280834668552769536

It's hard to see what she gets out of all this...

Oh right, okay. Loves that love-bombing.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 04:05:45 PMI've openly wondered the same thing as well, and I think at least one other person on these threads (Sheepy?) has done likewise.

Yup. :-)  And I think someone else might've as well.

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 08, 2020, 04:05:45 PMIt would seem to make a kind of sense, given what a massive control freak he is, that he would be viscerally disgusted by people having elective surgery to remove parts he'd really rather have hung on to himself.

It would indeed.

That, and maybe some primal fear that maybe he's less of a man as a result of his surgery, and that he's subconsciously terrified that he might somehow turn into, or be reclassified as, a woman.

JK gone full glinner quickly. Tagging and trying to shame peers.

The loss of bollock is an interesting theory for how he has become whats he's become. I do get the point how its draining to drag yourself into this argument (as well as most online 'discussion'). But idle time and all that - its the same reason people post on forums etc

Blue Jam

A mate of mine lost a ball to testicular cancer and his reaction was to get very involved in raising awareness of testicular cancer and taking part in lots of fundraising projects...

JamesTC

Maybe one bollock has a different role to the other.

Lose your left bollock: become more active with charitable causes
Lose your right bollock: become transphobe

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 08, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
Yes, that Harper letter is a bit confusing now because of all this. What is it they want exactly?

Salman Rushdie's on it too. Because having a fatwa called for your execution and going into hiding in fear of your life is exactly like losing Twitter followers until you only have 14 million left.

Well they mention books being withdrawn and lecturers investigated, but they don't do a particularly good job of actually giving specific examples of what they're talking about. They should have footnoted the fuck out of this with links to concrete examples.

For sure, I've seen examples of YA authors withdrawing books because they faced Twitter outrage for not being "in their lane" (an Asian author who wrote about a fantasy world in which slavery takes place withdrew her book after complaints from African-American tweeters, although I think it's been published since).

As for what they want from this letter published in Harper's, I imagine it's for institutions to stop bending meekly to social media sound and fury, but that's only half of the issue. The other half (which is addressed in the letter) is the audiences who stir up the invective, however undeserved it may be. Not sure what you can do about that, really. Young idiots gonna young idiot.

Puce Moment

Very odd - in the past I have taught Satanic Verses plus works by Celine and Hamsun, and yer man Conrad. I've shown The Birth of a Nation and Salo to students. For me 'decolonising' the curriculum is not about what texts we remove, but how we contextualise them. I can't stand any of Rushdie's novels, but I will teach them, if there is a valid reason to do so.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 08, 2020, 05:36:04 PM
A mate of mine lost a ball to testicular cancer and his reaction was to get very involved in raising awareness of testicular cancer and taking part in lots of fundraising projects...

Yes, because he's not Glinner.

Mister Six

Barry Admin

He has to now.

Quote from: funtimefrankie on July 08, 2020, 05:31:29 PM
JK gone full glinner quickly. Tagging and trying to shame peers.

This video was posted in response to Margaret Atwood yesterday, and it's an excellent deconstruction of JK Rowling's transphobic essay: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Avcp-e4bOs

Yes, it's an hour long, and people are using that to discredit it, and saying stupid shit like "if it takes an hour to rebuff JK Rowling then maybe that's a sign" or other such grasping nonsense.

I stuck it on yesterday while I tidied the kitchen and found it to be well worth the time. It's brimming with citations - unlike Rowling's essay - and collects a lot of the rebuttals you'll see on threads like this and wherever else. Very comprehensive and an entertaining watch.