Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:57:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner V: The Dream(ed up) Child (molestors): A New Carbon-era

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2020, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

By popular request... although if I'd known beforehand quite how many there are, I might not have done it!

Additions and corrections welcome.

Sheepy's guide to Glinner threads

Prequel threads:

Graham Linetransexclusionary (2018/03/08 - 2018/07/22, 52 pages)

Twitter policeman Graham Linehan given warning by police about Twitter (2018/10/06 - 2018/10/19, 21 pages)

What happened to Adam Buxton and Graham Linehan's sci-fi sitcom 'The Cloud'? (2018/12/17 - 2019/01/01, five pages, despite the title it's mainly about the trans issue)

Main ~100-page threads:

Charity stream hosted to spite transphobic tosser Graham Linehan (2019/01/20 - 2019/08/02)

The all-new "Graham Linehan's a transphobic cunt" thread (2019/08/01 - 2020/02/11)

Graham Linehan's Beard Weekends: Transphobia III: The Sorceror (2020/02/11 - 2020/05/12)

Glinner Posts Mortem: Dying on Transphobia Hill 4: The (g)Room(er) (2020/05/11 - 2020/06/22)

Glinner V: The Dream(ed up) Child (molestors): A New Carbon-era (2020/06/22 - ???, you're reading it now)

Also related:[nb]Within the last nine years or so, first one excepted, otherwise I'll be here all night with old Father Ted and IT Crowd threads.  If someone else wants to list them, fine by me![/nb]

Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews (2009/12/13 - 2009/12/15, one page)

Graham Linehan points out the absolute turdness of Jack Whitehall (2011/03/21 - 2011/03/27, two pages)

Comedians inciting their followers/fans to savage their critics (2012/06/18 - 2012/09/28, 50 pages)

Graham Linehan wants you to work for him for no money (2013/06/18 - 2013/06/22, three pages)

The Walshes on BBC4/RTE, by Diet of Worms & Graham Linehan (2014/03/17 - 2015/01/22, one page)

Graham LOLnehan (2015/04/20 - 2018/10/09, six pages)

Pope Ted: The Father Ted Musical (2018/06/02 - 2018/06/10, four pages)

Limmy vs Linehan (2020/01/20 - 2020/01/23, one page)

Going apeshit at unisex bogs (2020/02/06 - 2020/02/09, five pages)

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin (2020/06/07 - ???)

Glinner: thread for backseat moderators and hand-wringing (2020/06/20 - ???)

A little light relief - H.S. Art threads

What's Graham Linehan up to? (2019/05/29 - 2019/06/10, one page)

Imagine if Graham Linehan (2019/11/12 - 2019/11/13, one page)

chrispmartha

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1275078529302933505?s=21

He's clearly upset by Richard Herring blocking him

Herring now getting a load os shit from glinners supporters, even when its pointed out to him that RH raised a shed load of cash for refuge.

keir

The most telling thing about his fake RHLSTP thing is that it's a RHLSTP SPECIAL.

Capt.Midnight

The algorithms do seem to be actively working against him regarding Twitter engagement. Keep reporting the cunt.

Barry Admin

Thank you Sheepy!!! I meant to do that last time round, but never had a chance, and the thread moved so quickly that I forgot. Much appreciated.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: chrispmartha on June 22, 2020, 05:03:36 PM

Herring now getting a load os shit from glinners supporters, even when its pointed out to him that RH raised a shed load of cash for refuge.
love the GIANT BRAIN AM WINNING AGAIN in replies going "the far left are the new conservatives"

BlodwynPig

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: chrispmartha on June 22, 2020, 05:03:36 PM

Just reading that, one of them even.. and I can hardly believe this comment even from such a bunch of disingenuous wankers.. said he "only did it to virtue signal" anyway. LITERALLY cannot win with them! When the fuck did their hero Graham raise a hundred grand for a woman's shelter, or in fact ever do ANYTHING for women except tweet and the occasional sadsack YouTube video.

Ferris

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 22, 2020, 06:32:40 PM
Just reading that, one of them even.. and I can hardly believe this comment even from such a bunch of disingenuous wankers.. said he "only did it to virtue signal" anyway. LITERALLY cannot win with them! When the fuck did their hero Graham raise a hundred grand for a woman's shelter, or in fact ever do ANYTHING for women except tweet and the occasional sadsack YouTube video.

My fave "just can't win" reply was:

QuoteI became suspicious of him a few years ago when his Metro piece on International Women's Day was all about men. Granted he was telling men to step up and stop being jerks, but it still raised a red flag for me

Retinend

Armin Meiwes

Also cracking up at the thought that he's laying hard in to Herring but didn't say a fucking WORD about Limmy and I think we know why (because he's prob terrified of him).

Retinend

Meanwhile, within the mind of Linehan:

Spoiler alert

[close]
source: https://glinner.co.uk/i-apologise-on-behalf-of-my-colleagues/

Tweets: "Sorry about Richard Herring, everyone., Another disappointment"

Quote12 JUNE 2020
To women: I apologise on behalf of the entertainment industry
I am by now legitimately exhausted from waiting for supposed colleagues to stand up and do the right thing for women as they suffer through this all-out misogynistic assault on their rights, safety and dignity. With a few honourable exceptions, (so few, I can name them all) my male colleagues especially have been a disgrace.

There are women standing up too but I *can't* name them because of course they would be subjected to the same abuse that greets every woman who enters into this debate, as JK Rowling so selflessly and bravely demonstrated. (It's one thing to subject yourself to enemy fire, it's quite another to do it after seeing what befell the troops who went ahead of you.)

These are just a few selections from Rebecca Riley Cooper's Medium post about the abuse Rowling has received. Rowling knows that this is what less famous women than she have been suffering for years, but she still followed them over the top.

Anyway, as to my colleagues, I can only apologise. The ones who aren't misogynists are just incurious and lazy, the ones who aren't lazy are just cowards, the ones who aren't cowards are just extremely stupid. The silence from these people, who opine on everything else under the sun, is deafening.

To my colleagues in entertainment and journalism: stop pretending you can't read. I've become numb to you not standing up for me, but if you can't stand up for JK Rowling and the women she's supporting, then you don't deserve a career. "I don't really understand it" said one particularly pathetic comedian 'friend' recently in a private conversation. Oh, yeah? Never occurred to you to look into it during the three years we've all been smeared as bigots? Thanks, man!

If you portraits in courage don't start speaking up for women like Jo, then you're as responsible for these messages as those who wrote them.

You have all the information.  Beyond this point, your silence is complicity.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on June 22, 2020, 06:32:40 PM

Ha, Herring didn't even mention him by name, everyone just automatically knew who it was, and then the Glincels started snitch-tagging Linehan.

Just saw this retweet when I was looking to check the Herring thing:

Quote from: Linehan retweeting some other terfFeminism that includes males, is the "All lives matter" part of feminism.

I'll point out that BAME people get really fucked off by terfs like Kathleen Stock and Saint Magdalen of Berns making "womanface" arguments with regards drag and stuff. They've been asked to stop comparing drag and trans women to blackface many, many times, but they persist with it.

And now this, jeez. They really, really want to co-opt black people being killed to protect their sacred fucking bogs.

Ferris

Poor old Rich.

Whatever you think of his output (and I'm a fan), he does seem like a pretty nice guy who tries to be thoughtful about social issues. Doesn't deserve all this grief.

Barry Admin

Yeah he's good, and was one of the few comics with the balls to call Gervais out on all the "mong" stuff. He fundraises for Scope and such after his shows too, so the idea that he is just making a token gesture of supporting women for one day a year is silly. Seem to recall he also ran a marathon for charity, which takes a lot more effort than sitting on Twitter at 4am every morning being a dickbag to teenagers.

bgmnts

Yeah as annoying as he gets sometimes his heart is definitely in the right place.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 22, 2020, 03:55:20 PM
I hope this new thread can proceed in a civil manner, without so many offensive remarks about racecars.

Yes, racecarism has no place on this forum.

Jumblegraws

Have any of the Twitter users here gotten into the habit of following anyone who Glinner tries to call out with his bullshit?

here4glinner

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 22, 2020, 07:40:03 PM
Have any of the Twitter users here gotten into the habit of following anyone who Glinner tries to call out with his bullshit?

Yes. If they piss off Glinner, 90% chance they're good people.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 22, 2020, 05:00:47 PM
Graham Linetransexclusionary (2018/03/08 - 2018/07/22, 52 pages)

Yeah good one on this. Nice to see the people I recognise using their head, and interesting to see some others I recognise less being a bit fash.

king_tubby

#FBPE centrist pin up and fox murderer Jolyon Maughn is getting a lot of flak for his pro-trans stance.  He's reported death threats to the police this morning (no idea if it's Brexit or trans related though) but I wonder if this will give any of the Guardian TERFs who thought he was great pause for thought.

Jumblegraws

I'm maybe burying the lede here, but hasn't "they" always been used as a singular pronoun when gender isn't known/specified? Have the woke stasi commandeered grammar and I just didn't realise?

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 22, 2020, 08:16:39 PM

I'm maybe burying the lede here, but hasn't "they" always been used as a singular pronoun when gender isn't known/specified?
Yes! Yes it has! That's what makes all this fumfering about "grammatical correctness" even more ridiculous. Every single English-speaking person has used singular "they" at some point, usually when they (THERE! THERE, I JUST DID IT) mean that the abstract person to whom they're (AAAAH! AGAIN!) referring could be male or female.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 08:20:29 PM
Yes! Yes it has! That's what makes all this fumfering about "grammatical correctness" even more ridiculous. Every single English-speaking person has used singular "they" at some point, usually when they (THERE! THERE, I JUST DID IT) mean that the abstract person to whom they're (AAAAH! AGAIN!) referring could be male or female.
It's a mark of how insecure I am that I actually questioned myself over this. I looked up the Wikipedia article on the singular they. Apparently mid-18th century linguistic prescriptivists and their descendants objected to its use, although oddly enough this was due to an insistence on definite language rather than fears over social grooming.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 22, 2020, 08:16:39 PMI'm maybe burying the lede here, but hasn't "they" always been used as a singular pronoun when gender isn't known/specified?

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 08:20:29 PMYes! Yes it has! That's what makes all this fumfering about "grammatical correctness" even more ridiculous. Every single English-speaking person has used singular "they" at some point, usually when they (THERE! THERE, I JUST DID IT) mean that the abstract person to whom they're (AAAAH! AGAIN!) referring could be male or female.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that.  "They" was always plural until about the late 80s, at least in my experience (starting work in 1985 as a software engineer, which also included a fair bit of technical writing).

After years of documents just using "he", "him" etc., efforts were made by some people (myself included) to be inclusive by using "he/she", "him/her" etc., clumsy though it was.  There were some attempts I read about to get people to use "zhe"[nb]Or something similar, I forget, this was way before the term cropped up in recent years.[/nb] and "hir", but they never gained much traction.

Just using "he" in conversation about a person of unknown sex[nb]Not a transgender issue, just a feminist one at that point.[/nb] always felt uncomfortable to me though, and I started to use "they" occasionally in casual speech at work.  More than once this was queried by colleagues, them saying "isn't that a plural word?" and I admitted that yes it was, but it was easier than saying "he or she" all the time.  I got a few strange looks.

However by the early 90s it had become more commonplace.  In formal documents I tried to avoid using it as I was aware it wasn't (at the time) correct English, so I'd try to avoid it by using terms like "the operator", "the user", etc., but if pushed into a corner I'd tend to go for the clunky "he/she" construction.  I have a vague recollection that I started using "theirs" instead of "his" or "hers" first.  I can't remember if I ever got as far as using "they" instead of "he"/"she" by the time I wrote my last manual in around 1999.  I certainly used it all the time in casual speech and informal memos by then, though.

But not in 1985.

Post-Preview EDIT: Just seen that latest post.  I'll have to go do some reading myself, but please trust me when I say that using "they" to mean a single person was really not a thing when I was growing up and first out to work.  It was a subject of quite some debate: I remember reading more than one manual that said stuff like: "Although the masculine gender is used throughout for clarity and avoidance of clumsy constructions, please be aware that it applies equally to female users as well."

Alberon

Zhe and hir occasionally turns up in SF books. I think it works a lot better written down than in real life as differences in pronunciation isn't clear enough.

I've used they to mean an undefined man or woman for many years. I personally dislike using they for a specific person as it feels far too impersonal.

Ambient Sheep

Just to add to this without making my last post more clumsy... genuinely, before the 90s, the following:

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 08:20:29 PMYes! Yes it has! That's what makes all this fumfering about "grammatical correctness" even more ridiculous. Every single English-speaking person has used singular "they" at some point, usually when they (THERE! THERE, I JUST DID IT) mean that the abstract person to whom they're (AAAAH! AGAIN!) referring could be male or female.

would have been written, content aside, as:

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 08:20:29 PMYes! Yes it has! That's what makes all this fumfering about "grammatical correctness" even more ridiculous. Every single English-speaking person has used singular "they" at some point, usually when he or she means that the abstract person to whom he or she is referring could be male or female.

Really.  Seriously.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 22, 2020, 08:52:46 PM
Just to add to this without making my last post more clumsy... genuinely, before the 90s, the following:

would have been written, content aside, as:

Really.  Seriously.
wow it's a good thing I'm not talking about technical writing, am I? I'm talking about vernacular, spoken English. Or maybe it's just something we did with this language that was foisted on us to make it better. You even admitted yourself that you started using "they" instead of "he or she", back in the 90s. Which, as mindbending as it is, is 21-30 years ago now.

Jumblegraws

I take your point Ambient Sheep, I'm a millennial so maybe I'm just showing my age, all the same I think it's an incredible reach to say that use of the singular they is a sign of our mad, TRA-propitiating times, but that's Glinner for you.
ETA: I'd go further and say it's plain wrong, even from a prescriptivist perspective, to say that the plural they is the only "grammatically correct" way to use the word, but I'm not terribly invested in this.

GoblinAhFuckScary

*Phone rings and someone other than you answers"

You say to them:

"Who is it?" "Who are they?"