Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner V: The Dream(ed up) Child (molestors): A New Carbon-era

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2020, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: madhair60 on June 22, 2020, 10:45:35 PM
I'm embarrassed by my posts in that thread. I did a lot of learning in a short time. Sorry.

Oh God I don't mean to go and drag you like that. I understand there's a lot of growth that's happened x

Wonderful Butternut

I think the best part of that rant is he's trading off Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse which was aired 22 years ago.

idunnosomename

JUST ONE of the MANY BELOVED comedy moments I'VE CREATED!!!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2020, 10:50:53 PM
JUST ONE of the MANY BELOVED comedy moments I'VE CREATED!!!
Yes, him and no-one else.

(nobody mention how they borrowed it off Seinfeld)

apopheniac

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2020, 10:34:58 PM
normal one being had

Linehan's really falling back on Father Ted now, I guess because he realised the IT Crowd isn't particularly feminist.

Father Ted with its wealth of female characters like "the woman who makes the tea".

Quote from: apopheniac on June 22, 2020, 10:53:11 PM
Linehan's really falling back on Father Ted now, I guess because he realised the IT Crowd isn't particularly feminist.

Father Ted with its wealth of female characters like "the woman who makes the tea".
And the militant feminist.

Ooh, I just remembered the abusive relationship played for laffs[nb]Yes I laughed and you did too, just pointing out the irony[/nb]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTn6c1NMxjM

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 22, 2020, 10:53:40 PM
And the militant feminist.

B-b-but making an intentionally sexist version of The Rose of Tralee for irony!!! What a great step for Feminism that was!!!

Didn't you feel so empowered when you saw it?

RicoMNKN

Richard Herring should ask him if there any more beloved comedy moments in the pipeline.

bgmnts

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 22, 2020, 10:56:35 PM
Richard Herring should ask him if he'd rather have a hand made of ham or an armpit that dispenses sun cream.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on June 22, 2020, 10:55:03 PM
B-b-but making an intentionally sexist version of The Rose of Tralee for irony!!! What a great step for Feminism that was!!!

Didn't you feel so empowered when you saw it?
(Real talk, that episode does succeed in juxtaposing old-fashioned "harmless" (cos it's traditional) sexism with militant feminism, and Ted is the one who ends up with egg on his face and no tea in his cup. But the ironing is delicious.)

g0m

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 22, 2020, 08:45:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that.  "They" was always plural until about the late 80s, at least in my experience (starting work in 1985 as a software engineer, which also included a fair bit of technical writing).

the OED traces usage of the singular they back to the 1300s. Shakespeare and Chaucer both used it. and they're pretty big fish in terms of using words

Zetetic

idunnosomename

Quote from: g0m on June 22, 2020, 11:16:23 PM
the OED traces usage of the singular they back to the 1300s. Shakespeare and Chaucer both used it. and they're pretty big fish in terms of using words
shakespeare had men playing ladies' roles. typical MRA.

Mister Six

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2020, 10:34:58 PM
normal one being had

Aye, definitely sounds like it's Glinner in Aido's brain, and not the other way around.

(Who's Aido?)

I was going to link to that OED thing from two years ago, particularly the ending:

QuoteEven people who object to singular they as a grammatical error use it themselves when they%u2019re not looking, a sure sign that anyone who objects to singular they is, if not a fool or an idiot, at least hopelessly out of date.

idunnosomename

Aidan Comerford. Honestly I don't know about him beyond his Glinnerspat.

Jollity

If Linehan would just leave some of these people alone, they'd probably have far less reach than they do, and people like me would never hear their ideas at all. Funny old world.

tao of wub

Quote from: RicoMNKN on June 22, 2020, 10:56:35 PM
Richard Herring should ask him if he has ever tried to suck his own cock

I mean it is a RHLST Special...  Got to bring out the big questions.

Amplifying the voices of trans rights activists to people who were "cooking eggs", to quote Eddie Izzard.
That's the biggest impact he's had, as far as I can tell.
As others have said, he's the worst possible spokesman. He's his enemies greatest ally.

Like in that Student Grant strip in the viz, he's the guy protesting outside mcdonalds holding up the "fries is murder" placard.
He could never entertain the idea that he's doing more harm than good. He's bigger than any hill he might die on.
I think I buy into the idea that this could have been about anything.

phantom_power

All those women's sports that have been infiltrated and dominated by trans athletes like....er......shit

Moribunderast

It's finally striking me how utterly bizarre his deification of JK Rowling is. She's a children's author who wrote some very popular books but if you read the way Glinner talks about her you'd think she was a philosopher and political genius, unimpeachable in her wisdom. The mere fact she's famous and agrees with Lineham on The Only Thing That Matters is enough for him to elevate her to God-like status and expect everyone else to do the same.

I just realised how strange that was after reading him chastising "Aido" ("After Rowling...") as if disagreeing with a woman who wrote a children's fantasy book is akin to hating Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks.

here4glinner

Graham Linehan was 29 years old when Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse aired. He is now 52 years old.

jobotic

Quote from: here4glinner on June 23, 2020, 09:59:50 AM
Graham Linehan was 29 years old when Kicking Bishop Brennan up the Arse aired. He is now 52 years old.

That's so depressing. How amazing to be only 29 and have that to your name. And now....

It remains hilarious that he locks his account overnight.

I remember when one of his followers asked him why, he said that it was because that's when people went through his tweets and tried to find stuff to use against him.

This is very wise as we all know his hateful opinions can't be read in daylight, only when he slumbers and his mental guard is at its lowest. He's like a big Irish Smaug sitting on his horde of tweets.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 23, 2020, 10:08:29 AM

I remember when one of his followers asked him why, he said that it was because that's when people went through his tweets and tried to find stuff to use against him.

This is very wise as we all know his hateful opinions can't be read in daylight, only when he slumbers and his mental guard is at its lowest. He's like a big Irish Smaug sitting on his horde of tweets.

How big of a persecution complex does he have?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 23, 2020, 09:43:29 AM
It's finally striking me how utterly bizarre his deification of JK Rowling is. She's a children's author who wrote some very popular books but if you read the way Glinner talks about her you'd think she was a philosopher and political genius, unimpeachable in her wisdom. The mere fact she's famous and agrees with Lineham on The Only Thing That Matters is enough for him to elevate her to God-like status and expect everyone else to do the same.

I just realised how strange that was after reading him chastising "Aido" ("After Rowling...") as if disagreeing with a woman who wrote a children's fantasy book is akin to hating Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks.
also how anyone criticising her is genuinely out of line for criticising "a victim of domestic violence" and clearly hates women.

And if anyone comes up with a case of a transperson murdered or something he just mockingly brushes it aside

He is a very horrible man i dont know if anyone noticed

here4glinner

An ex of mine was violent. This means my opinions are infallible.

Jumblegraws

I hate to seem like I'm defending Glinner, but his reasoning is that he wants to restrict the number of Americans viewing his profile and subsequently mass-reporting him by only making his account viewable when most of them are beddy-byes, because apparently Americans hate women even more than European incel woke beard scum. I don't know how much sense this strategy makes in reality.

Barry Admin

Yeah but I bet he also gives his iPad a little kiss and ruffles its cable before he goes to bed.

dissolute ocelot

Because it takes hours of forensic analysis to find anything bad in his tweets. Or you could open his twitter stream at literally any tweet at random and use it against him. I'd like to think he locks his twitter at night in a vain attempt to get a few hours' sleep.

As for the deification of Rowling, could it be because out-of-touch celebs with no expertise but loud opinions need to stick together?

Armin Meiwes

I wonder if it's less about getting reported (I mean if he locks it at like 1am here then it's already 8pm in NY so that doesn't really make any sense) and more that he hates the idea of waking up to a whole shitload of zingers that he's left unanswered for 5 or 6 hours.