Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anything good in your fridge at the mo?

Started by Barry Admin, June 22, 2020, 03:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Just remembered I have a pint of butter milk left over from yesterday, fucking score. Could not sleep a wink last night, but I'm living for this butter milk. Got a few chocolate digestives left in the cupboard too: gonna catch up with all my PM's and stuff and then drink the absolute fuck out of a cup of tea with choccy biscuits. Just wish I had some mini Twisters left in the freezer.

Buelligan

Have some really nice quinoa (yes, I know).  Tried this thing with peas, hazelnuts (peazlenuts), dried fruit (they're actually cranberries but I didn't dare to say), a tiny bit of spring onion and passion fruit juice (as a dressing).  It's very delicious.  Outside the fridge, a bowl of the best cherries a tree could grow but I have shit croissants.  Got them for a treat but was hurrying and got ones made with sunflower oil - taste like sausage rolls.  Don't know what I'm going to do with those, throwing them away seems wrong and yet, so very right.

tao of wub

A 1 KG pack of coffee beans.
Saturn peaches.
Some butter.
Lots of milk and oat milk.

I don't usually buy butter because I don't like the smell when gets on to your top lip then oxidizes.  But I am going to make some biscuits very soon to send to a friend.  I love biscuits and ice-cream as well..I have to not buy either.  I do have a freezer but I have left it off for the last 4 years just to make sure I don't buy ice-cream.

There was a bar of green and blacks milk chocolate that I bought to put in the biscuits on a whim, as it was reduced..

Obviously I have eaten that now!  Will end up eating some biscuits too..must not eat them all..

Egg free because eggs disgust me for some reason..

https://eatexploreetc.com/recipe-crunchy-cinnamon-sugar-biscuits-two-ways/

Buelligan

Why you got peaches in the fridge?  This is surely wrong.

tao of wub

Quote from: Buelligan on June 22, 2020, 04:18:05 PM
I have shit croissants ... taste like sausage rolls

What about having them with something more savory, like peanut butter or cheese with a nice mustard?  That should sort them!

Buelligan

No.  They are disgusting and leave a waxy (meatish) coating in the mouth.  They are certainly not edible.

tao of wub

I have bought a load of them and am sequentially ripening them, so that I don't have to eat them all in short time frame.

Sadly I am in UK where peaches arrive somewhere between 6 and 7 on the Mohs hardness scale.  Wish I was in Italy still where the fruttivendollo was full of ripe cheap exotic fruit..

I will actually put the ripe ones back in the fridge for a bit so I can enjoy the cold sensation when I eat them.  Apples, navel oranges and ruby grapefruit are all good chilled.

tao of wub

Quote from: Buelligan on June 22, 2020, 04:23:29 PM
No.  They are disgusting and leave a waxy (meatish) coating in the mouth.  They are certainly not edible.

Ugggh!  Turn them in to bird table food!

Or, remember the Simpsons where Homer eats the Guatemalan insanity pepper by coating his tongue with candle wax?  That might work, then you can enjoy your horrible waxy pastry ; )

thenoise

Shopping day is tomorrow (friendly checkout lady advised that Tuesday evening is the quietest), so we're running fairly low. I have some kale which is still good and a red bell pepper. Two pints of (local) milk. Marmalade, chutney and a bit of cheese. Enough bread for morning. Couple of eggs. And an entire butternut squash (that probably doesn't belong in the fridge).

Buelligan

Also, eggs.  NEVER in the fridge.  Thank you.

dex

Thai yellow curry paste and some leftover roast chicken from yesterday. Time to get cookin'!

Shit Good Nose

Season tail-end (British) asparagus (should still be okay, even though it really is the end of the season - picked this morning);
Big bunch of carrots of various different shapes, sizes and colours (also picked this morning);
The rest of Saturday's curry, which I'll be tucking into later (chicken chasni, lamb rogan and some beef tikka - sounds a lot, but it's only a couple of spoonfuls of the chasni and rogan and three small pieces of the beef, with some rice);
Lidl Deluxe cumberland sausages (never tried the deluxe ones, but I'm assured they're aces);
31 day matured rump steak medallions;
Chunk of watermelon (which needs to be eaten today);
Some pears from a neighbour's tree (nowhere near mushy enough for me yet - apples I like crisp, pears I like mushy)
Leftover sourdough (which is probs only good for toast now);
Some artisan Italian blue cheese that I forget the name of now;
One bottle of Fentiman's cherry coke;
Two bottles of Thatchers Haze;
Two bottles of Thatchers Rose

Plus some shit kids yoghurts (for little Nose), Bertolli and milk.  I think there's a pack of scotch eggs as well, unless they've been eaten since last night.

Buelligan

tao of wub

Another smaller fridge.  Its fridges all the way down in fact..

Has anybody got a 1950s kid playing hide and seek in their retro hipster Kelvinator?

Puce Moment

Kinder Bueno edibles.

Delicious - like a snake eating its own tail.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: tao of wub on June 22, 2020, 04:43:52 PM
Has anybody got a 1950s kid playing hide and seek in their retro hipster Kelvinator?

Not playing any more.

Still, they'll escape a nuclear blast unscathed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Decided for the first time in about 10 years to make some jelly. Got a bucket of lime jelly getting wobbly in there.

Ace.

touchingcloth

earl_sleek

Until 5 minutes ago, a slice of my mum's homemade banoffee pie.
Most of a pork & egg pie.
Cashew milk.
A new pot of Gentleman's Relish.
A bottle of Weston's Vintage Cider.
Sundry other items and salad veg.

Buelligan

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 22, 2020, 04:57:50 PM
Kinder Bueno edibles.

Delicious - like a snake eating its own tail.

I too have these.  Bought a big bag three or four years ago to give to the kiddies at Halloween but only a few knocked, there were lots left.  Tried one, put the packet in the fridge.  Every time I clean the fridge, out they come, it'd be wrong to waste them and back they go into a nice, clean, fridge.  That's how delicious they are.

Barry Admin

Anyone else like buttermilk? Absolute dairy madman me, dairy morning noon and night.

pancreas

We were hosting a vegetarian for the past few days since he was getting death threats in Hartlepool. (Seems par for the course for Hartlepool, but I suppose one needs a break.) Anyway he's left a tonne of bullshit in our fridge which we will now have to eat. Including a carton of cheese sauce—this at least will need to be expunged.

Pijlstaart

Load of vegetables and soy and a foreign soup. I've used this lockdown to become conscientious and eco-friendly, as the Wombles bid of me decades prior, and now I protect our good young earth through low-footprint eats. I went through a phase several years ago where I gamboled through the verdant south and gorged myself sticky on it's many fruits, and it's like that, but where once I was driven by Dionysian excess, now I am humble and scrubbed clean of sin.

flotemysost

Bag of coffee (I'm on this one at the moment, the bougie Co-Op near me sells lots of fair trade stuff which is cool - coffee's pretty nice)

Oat milk

Half a wizened leek

Industrial breezeblock of cheddar

And my latest booty from the Madeiran supermarket - I thin it's basically the Portuguese equivalent of Hooch:

Puce Moment

Quote from: Buelligan on June 22, 2020, 06:56:42 PM
I too have these.  Bought a big bag three or four years ago to give to the kiddies at Halloween but only a few knocked, there were lots left.  Tried one, put the packet in the fridge.  Every time I clean the fridge, out they come, it'd be wrong to waste them and back they go into a nice, clean, fridge.  That's how delicious they are.

Unfortunately, I would be arrested for giving my edibles to kids.

Emma Raducanu

I've never heard of anyone just drinking buttermilk Neil?? I've seen it used in scones, marinades and fried chicken.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 07:08:50 PM
Anyone else like buttermilk? Absolute dairy madman me, dairy morning noon and night.

ive never heard of buttermilk before, - what is it?

seepage

haven't got access to a proper fridge, so running two mini cooler thingies, which is like playing fridge Tetris:

cooler 1: wine, more wine, diet coke, cooked eggs

cooler 2: manchego, camembert, cheddar, gruyere, McVitie's Gold Bars, turkey slices, cooked bacon, mayonnaise, milk, single cream, double cream